A Simpler Time

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

jxy6v9cwb9y21.jpg

George Lucas on the set of A New Hope with Carrie Fisher. Today, May 14, is George's 75th Birthday.

Happy Birthday George!

And we may not say it enough, THANK YOU !

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

e1uuik9wpsy21.jpg

rdpbp9zdjk131.png

Just a couple of Scoundrels.

0kfwjygu5d431.jpg

Discussion between George Lucas and the screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan back in 1981 for Padme and Anakin.

nbp1qi0qfr531.jpg

s2iofjmr3x431.jpg

snryaarudv731.jpg

ylcipivwuw731.jpg

qyciakvca4831.png

"One of many storyboarded gags for the battle on Endor" done by Joe Johnston (from The Making of Return of the Jedi by J.W. Rinzler)

On 4/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, Red Castle said:

I miss the original trilogy gang, I grew up in a time when Star Wars was pretty much just the 3 original movies, playing WEG RPG with my friends. They'll always have a special place in my heart. But the new cast from the Sequel Trilogy really grew on me! I love seeing that John and Kelly are geeks just like us, that playing in these movies must be a dream come true for them...

I still Play WEG D6 starwars. THAT is the main reason i got into the X-wing minis..

On 7/2/2019 at 7:19 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Where is that excelator?

3 hours ago, LTuser said:

I still Play WEG D6 starwars. THAT is the main reason i got into the X-wing minis..

Where is that excelator?

The escalators are in the Tel Aviv City Hall.

I’m happy you still play WEG D6, I worked at West End many years. One of my three campaigns that started in 1989 is still going to this day, six of my original players still meet once a year to game.

Marvel’s Kevin Feige’s road to the MCU, the immense collection of that would become Wookieepedia, and FFG’s X - Wing tournaments can trace back their lineage to that original Role Playing Game.

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I’m happy you still play WEG D6, I worked at West End many years

If it wasn’t for the WEG miniatures line I doubt that I would be a gamer at all. I played the RPG and miniatures games.

And I still paint those today and collected a big scenery collection that matches the book photos. What few of them there really were. It’s a shame the minis books got no color pictures.

x1pprcd6gq831.png

Mark Hamill hams it up while wearing Vader's mask for the Tree Encounter in Behind The Scenes shot from The Empire Strikes Back .

Originally planned with a wax figure but during production they found it to be too unconvincing, so they just had Hamill lay on his back and shove his face through a hole, the mask surrounding his face.

Cgdh93xWIAMcPX6.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 5:53 AM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I’m happy you still play WEG D6, I worked at West End many years. One of my three campaigns that started in 1989 is still going to this day, six of my original players still meet once a year to game.

Sweet. You make the 5th person i know who worked with one of the major game orgs.. 2 for FASA and 2 for TSR, before WOTS takes it over.

o9bdk1ni4r831.jpg

Yavin Base, Behind the Scenes

I always wondered, what those towers were supposed to be on the look out for, that the base's sensors wouldn't have detected??

11 hours ago, LTuser said:

the base's sensors

You mean Gary?

aqb9lil221931.jpg

In A New Hope Darth Vader’s mask had red filters for the eyes. You can spot this in other scenes, and it is quite a nice effect, giving him that extra devilish appearance.

The downside was that during the shots near the end they used red lighting inside the fighter cockpit sets, and that lighting would go straight through the filters and reflects off David Prowse, letting you see behind the mask.

For the later films they used darker filters so this wouldn't be a problem.

nuixa4oxwy931.jpg

Master and apprentice

rgzope4jn3a31.jpg

4i0md8wek3c31.png

The Imperial Hunt, by Kenha

3f5uap4zmoe31.jpg

Mark Hamill films the end of the Cloud City duel with an unhelmeted Bob Anderson watching across.

nyvrth41u3f31.jpg

Original photo taken for TIME Magazine.

zdb4k7zh4gf31.jpg

3rs3ii74ktg31.jpg

Redemption by John Brosio