Twin Shadows and Nemeses

By ookus, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I'm hoping to start my first campaign as the Imperial Player. We're starting with a short campaign so it won't seem as overwhelming for new players. So trying to make it enjoyable for the Rebel players will be a big goal for me. I wanted to see if there are any suggestions on IP class decks with Twin Shadows and specifically if the Nemeses deck would work well. Thinking that I'd go with another bounty hunter or maybe Greedo and then probably Captain Terro for villains.

What's worked well for other Imperial Players in Twin Shadows?

Are you looking for stuff that will work well, or stuff that will be thematic?

I'd say Terro fits the bill for both for the Empire.

(Thrawn may work well too, if played in the final mission)

For the Mercs, I've heard good things about Greedo, depending on heroes. Given the timeline though, it's not terribly canon-friendly, though I'd still it's still relatively thematic.

Personally, I really like Jabba. Strategy wise he's pretty good, and he sort of fits the theme, though it might be a bit much.

Otherwise, I might go with Hondo or Bossk. Haven't tried Hondo out yet, but I've personally had a lot of success with Bossk.

9 hours ago, ookus said:

I'm  h  oping to start my first campaign as the Imperial Player. We're starting with a short campaign s  o it won't seem as overwhelmin  g for new  player    s  .  

Are all your rebels new? If that’s the case I feel I should warn you: I did Twin Shadows for my first campaign thinking the same, but the intro mission for Twin Shadows isn’t a beginner mission. To help with this I recommend to run the players through the Core campaign’s intro, Aftermath, mission first just to get everyone’s feet wet.

Otherwise, Nemeses is a great choice to get new players into it due to its thematic attributes. I’m with @subtrendy2 there. Stick to villains who enhance that, and I’d say you hit the nail on the head with Terro and Greedo.

Sadly the Empires villains are big bads, from book/comic/tv characters, or FFG originals. So you reactions are likely either, “what’s he doing here,” or “who?” At least Terro fits right in on Tatooine.

Mercs have much better options. Any Bounty hunter will do. Greedo is just cost effective. Next best bet, as Trendy said, is probably Bossk (and if they’re into the books/comics/tv Hondo is also viable).

Cool, this is helpful! I guess I could have also asked, "what's a good Imperial Class deck to play with Twin Shadows, that will focus on being fun/thematic for new Rebel players?"

I didn't know if Nemeses would bring too many villains into a short campaign, but part of me thinks that would be more interesting than just having a ton of stormtroopers.

As far as rebel player experience, one of the players has gone through Aftermath and knows the basics of the game and the other player will be completely new (though has seen it played). I'm expecting the first mission to be kinda rough on them but I plan to go easy on them. The goal is to eventually play a longer campaign but I need something shorter so there's an end in sight.

The other option is to just start a campaign of RtH, knowing that we'd probably never finish the full campaign but that it could be easier on newer Rebel players.

If fun/thematic is your goal, I think you already chose well with Nemesis. Hard to beat that one in terms of offering cool cinematic moments.

Yeah, that's kind of an interesting conundrum. On one hand, it would seem like a mini-campaign would be a good way to introduce players to the game, since it's not as overwhelming and less of a commitment than a full length one.

But on the other hand, progression is so much faster in a mini campaign that it can be tougher for new players to keep up with. On top of that, missions can be pretty tough in them, both in difficulty and complexity.

I'm not sure I can really say what would be best for your group, but maybe the best course of action is to just consider which experience they'd enjoy most.

I used Twin Shadows as my intro campaign, and looking back I wish I had used Aftermath first (with no Influence/XP gain) as a primer because starting new players with a bunch of XP and a bunch of equipment to buy is super tough when they don't even know the rules yet. I have a new campaign impending with all new players and plan to do Aftermath and the Twin Shadows campaign as normal.