Had a break...how to pick side missions?

By VAYASAN, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Minds gone blank. Had a break since our last session, we have the side mission deck...how do we choose he next side mission?

Think it was something like draw 2 and rebel picks one?(forced agenda missions aside)

Generally, there's two "active" side missions, what you could refer to as an "offer" if you like.

Whenever it's time to play a side mission, the Rebels can look at the mission card (including the info about the reward) and choose which of the two to do. After the mission, draw a new side mission to replace the one played, then that new one (and the one not picked) will be the active missions next time.

There are some exceptions. For instance, you mentioned Forced Missions. These don't take the place of a side mission in the offer (and in fact, are played immediately once they're revealed. Threat Missions in the Return to Hoth campaign are also added in addition to the traditional side missions.

If you want, you can always house rule some stuff, too. For instance, one thing that I do is I remove any grey side missions that the group in question has already played before creating the mission deck, thus allowing for a more unique experience (I have every expansion, so we definitely haven't gotten through them all yet).

Basically, it's your guys' game. As long as your group is level and honest with what is expected, there's no point in suffering through a mission like Viper's Den simply because you felt the needs to follow things perfectly to the book.

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Generally, there's two "active" side missions, what you could refer to as an "offer" if you like.

Whenever it's time to play a side mission, the Rebels can look at the mission card (including the info about the reward) and choose which of the two to do. After the mission, draw a new side mission to replace the one played, then that new one (and the one not picked) will be the active missions next time.

There are some exceptions. For instance, you mentioned Forced Missions. These don't take the place of a side mission in the offer (and in fact, are played immediately once they're revealed. Threat Missions in the Return to Hoth campaign are also added in addition to the traditional side missions.

If you want, you can always house rule some stuff, too. For instance, one thing that I do is I remove any grey side missions that the group in question has already played before creating the mission deck, thus allowing for a more unique experience (I have every expansion, so we definitely haven't gotten through them all yet).

Basically, it's your guys' game. As long as your group is level and honest with what is expected, there's no point in suffering through a mission like Viper's Den simply because you felt the needs to follow things perfectly to the book.

Thanks.

Whats up with Vipers Den btw, we played it ealier in the campaign(we arnt vets of the game so dont know all the ins and outs)

With certain imperial class decks and at the right step of the campaign Viper's Den should be fairly easy for the imperial player.

I always reshuffle and draw side missions, each time it is side mission picking time. im working on a mini game to allow the heroes to redraw side missions if they dont like whats on offer

24 minutes ago, Spidey NZ said:

I always reshuffle and draw side missions, each time it is side mission picking time. im working on a mini game to allow the heroes to redraw side missions if they dont like whats on offer

Yeah, when one mission is passed over two or three times in a row you might as well put it aside. I think in my last campaign as IP I offered my rebels the option to do a full redraw each time.

I’d rather they get more options.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

I've learned to really like the concept of drawing two new ones each time, but permanently discarding the one they don't pick. On the one hand it gives everyone a much better chance of seeing the mission they want come up (especially important if you have a Diala player who wants a lightsaber :P ) but on the other hand it still gives them some tough decisions about which way they want to go and makes it feel like their choices matter.

50 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

I've learned to really like the concept of drawing two new ones each time, but permanently discarding the one they don't pick. On the one hand it gives everyone a much better chance of seeing the mission they want come up (especially important if you have a Diala player who wants a lightsaber :P ) but on the other hand it still gives them some tough decisions about which way they want to go and makes it feel like their choices matter.

Yeah, I really like that idea.

Thematically, it makes sense, too. Like, how long are we supposed to believe this mission is available for?

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, I really like that idea.

Thematically, it makes sense, too. Like, how long are we supposed to believe this mission is available for?

Hahaha I love it.

"We've just received an urgent distress call, one of our rebel agents has been captured and we need to extract him before he reveals sensitive information!"

"Yeah, but Chewie's got this big Life Day celebration happening on Kashyyk, right? We kind of had out hearts set on going... Don't worry, we'll hit up that imperial base next week"

24 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

Hahaha I love it.

"We've just received an urgent distress call, one of our rebel agents has been captured and we need to extract him before he reveals sensitive information!"

"Yeah, but Chewie's got this big Life Day celebration happening on Kashyyk, right? We kind of had out hearts set on going... Don't worry, we'll hit up that imperial base next week"

Haha, right? :P

Not to mention, we don't know exactly how long each campaign takes place, but some seem like they could be quite a while. From the first to last mission in RtH, for instance, I'd say a good six months pass at the very least.