HoT engine for Star Wars

By David Spangler, in Heroes of Terrinoth

I love Heroes of Terrinoth for its ease of play and quick adventuring. I would love to see this game engine used to do a similar solo/coop Star Wars adventure game. Aside from Imperial Assault, which can be time-consuming to play, there is no good , quick, relatively simple solo/cooperative Star Wars game from FFG. As someone who plays solitaire more often than not due to a lack of opponents, a Star Wars themed adventure game like HoT would be ideal.

Just saying.....

I hope they will produce a lot of Terrinoth content before even think to Star Wars theme πŸ™‚

Their Star Wars license, if I recall correctly, is only for miniatures games. They sublease any SW boardgames through Hasbro, who has the SW boardgame license. Given the recent friction between Hasbro and FFG (evidenced by the loss of the Netrunner license), I doubt you're going to see it. And given that the predecessor to this game, Warhammer Quest, ended abruptly because of the end of a licensing agreement, I don't think it's worth trying to get any game you anticipate expansions for going when you need two licensing deals to remain steady.

Edit: as was pointed out many times, they also can do card games.

Edited by Xelto

Ditto for more Terrinoth content, tibia.

Xelto, thanks for the information. I didn't realize the boardgame license was through Hasbro. Also didn't know the loss of Netrunner was due to Hasbro. Did Hasbro buy Wizards of the Coast? Guess I'm behind the times with my game news.

53 minutes ago, David Spangler said:

Ditto for more Terrinoth content, tibia.

Xelto, thanks for the information. I didn't realize the boardgame license was through Hasbro. Also didn't know the loss of Netrunner was due to Hasbro. Did Hasbro buy Wizards of the Coast? Guess I'm behind the times with my game news.

Yes, several years ago. And with WotC came TSR and Avalon Hill.

Edit: I looked it up. That was almost two decades ago. My, how time has flown.

Edited by Xelto

Thanks. Seems like pulling Netrunner license, Hasbro is shooting themselves in the foot, but this doesn't surprise me. It was a popular license. I was a fan and player back when Richard Garfield first produced it through WotC. But this is a discussion for another topic. In the meantime, I'm glad we've got Terrinoth to play around in.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, David Spangler said:

Thanks. Seems like pulling Netrunner license, Hasbro is shooting themselves in the foot, but this doesn't surprise me.

I don't know the precise details of the licensing agreement, but I suspect the amount of money Hasbro made of it was a rounding error compared the rest of their empire... and that empire is being threatened by Asmodee. Back when I was in school, if you asked not-diehard gamers if they wanted to play a game, their assumption would be Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, or Clueβ€”all of which were names purchased as part of Hasbro's 1990s spending spree. Hasbro owned the boardgame aisles of non-dedicated game stores in year 2000.

Now, though, if you ask a non-gamer is he wants to play a game (at least one of school age), the assumption is probably going to be Catan, Ticket to Ride, or Apples to Applesβ€”none of which Hasbro owns, and two of which are owned by FFG's sister companies.

Edited by Xelto

FGG can make card games, though, so if this is considered a card game, it is fair game for FFG. Personally, I would consider it a card game and would suppose per the licensing agreement that FFG would have no trouble making a Star Wars version of HoT.

I would really like something like this. I have plenty of SW PvP, but need more co-op.

Star Wars or Legend of the Five Rings with the HoT engine would be both very interesting to me.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:09 AM, Xelto said:

Their Star Wars license, if I recall correctly, is only for miniatures games. They sublease any SW boardgames through Hasbro, who has the SW boardgame license. Given the recent friction between Hasbro and FFG (evidenced by the loss of the Netrunner license), I doubt you're going to see it. And given that the predecessor to this game, Warhammer Quest, ended abruptly because of the end of a licensing agreement, I don't think it's worth trying to get any game you anticipate expansions for going when you need two licensing deals to remain steady.

Do you have a source for this? This is also a card game, not a board game.

I was hoping the end of the Star Wars LCG meant they were going to go with a Co-Op route. The popularity of the IA app has proven that people do want to play as the good guys against the Empire. It would fit so well. However I believe that Destiny is their main focus are far as card games go for Star Wars. I hope to be proven wrong though.

Edited by FrogTrigger

I hope so, too!

On 12/4/2018 at 12:09 PM, Xelto said:

I dont know anything about all this really, but dont FFG make a Star Wars Card & Dice game already? (Destiny?)

Image result for ffg destiny

On 12/5/2018 at 11:15 AM, Budgernaut said:

FGG can make card games, though, so if this is considered a card game, it is fair game for FFG. Personally, I would consider it a card game and would suppose per the licensing agreement that FFG would have no trouble making a Star Wars version of HoT.

I would really like something like this. I have plenty of SW PvP, but need more co-op.

You're right about it being a card game. Silly oversight on my part. But that, then, leads to the natural question of, would it be worthwhile for them?

* Any clone game would be in direct competition with Heroes of Terrinoth, which is part of an IP that they seem intent on expanding.
* They don't have to worry about the license vanishing next year, and after their recent license breakdowns, that has to be on their minds.
* They don't have to pay for the β‚«i$β‚ͺ€Β₯ Β£iₑ€β‚ͺ$€.

I could a Star Wars license of this game happening, but only if they get a deal with a big-box retailer first. Otherwise, it will mostly cannibalize sales from HoT, and I'm not all that certain that it will increase sales enough to make up for the extra expenses. I know that in my business, I work with Star Wars merchandise, and while it's a decent license with a fairly diverse audience, it's not so good that you want to focus extensively on it. And yes, it does cost enough more than comparable non-Disney products that cost does become a factor in what you do with it.

Well they made IA, which was in direct competition with Descent... they made an app for IA, which was in direct competition with Descent's app.. so yes we have seen it before already.

Surely Obi Wans Explore Card will be called 'Take the high ground'?

14 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Well they made IA, which was in direct competition with Descent... they made an app for IA, which was in direct competition with Descent's app.. so yes we have seen it before already.

In fact they killed Descent 😞 Do the want to kill Heroes of Terrinoth just after 1 month?????

Killed Descent? It just had an App campaign release two days ago lol. Descent is very much alive and well. Descent actually still has more physical content than IA as well.

You lost this argument, there is room for both games.

14 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Killed Descent? It just had an App campaign release two days ago lol. Descent is very much alive and well. Descent actually still has more physical content than IA as well.

I have and have played both in the last week.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:07 PM, FrogTrigger said:

Mmm ... when was the last physical content for Descent 2.0 out? When do you expect the "missing" physical content that everybody is asking for to be out? When do you expect new developed physical content for Descent 2.0 to be out? The fact is that Descent 2.0 is a "dead" game (i.e. no new physical content for it will ever be out) and they are trying to sell the old physical content they have in the warehouse.

Luckily we will have HoT now (at least when I will get it πŸ™‚ )

Edited by tibia

So you just decided a game is dead unless it gets physical content? You have the last call on that?

I would say the opposite, any game that is getting any content, is not a 'dead' game.

An app campaign released literally days ago, Descent is still going strong. IA is still trying to catch Descent in physical content as well. It is the reigning champ.

You're argument is horrible, you've lost. Just admit defeat.

Just tell

18 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

So you just decided a game is dead unless it gets physical content? You have the last call on that?

I would say the opposite, any game that is getting any content, is not a 'dead' game.

An app campaign released literally days ago, Descent is still going strong. IA is still trying to catch Descent in physical content as well. It is the reigning champ.

You're argument is horrible, you've lost. Just admit defeat.

Just tell this to they who don't use the app πŸ˜‰ They are still waiting for new contents since ... well, it is so far in the past that I even don't remember the date πŸ™‚ For sure Chain was developed before the Asmodee era, so you can say B.A. πŸ™‚

Descent 2 is a "dead" game as chess, go, monopoly, cluedo and many millions of games: you still play them, but don't expect new contents to arrive. "Dead", IMHO in the today's borgame market, means no development and, although I consider the app a milestone for Descent 2, I think there is no development for it (no new heroes, no new classes to balance number, no hybrid heroes to balance, no new monsters, ...) The game is still incomplete, but Asmodee is not willing to develop it.

The app campaigns are there just to empty the warehouse. In fact you cannot play it if you don't buy the expansions they want you to buy πŸ™‚

Would you bet on a Descent 3 version or on new physical contents for Descent 2?

I think you should admit your defeat πŸ˜‰

Sorry I'm guessing English isn't your first language so I might be misinterpreting your posts.. so if I'm missing the point I apologize for that.

But I guess dead is a relative term because to me a dead game would be one that receives no new content or support. Like say descent 1.0.

As long as they are releasing content, the game lives on.

Agree to disagree but agree I'm right :)

Yes, English is not my first language πŸ™‚

I agree: dead means no new content.

Original Descent 2.0: dead (no new (physical) content in 3 or more years)

Descent 2.0 with app support (not everybody consider it): not dead because they add software content to the app (not to the game itself)

I see no difference between Descent 1.0 and Descent 2.0 if you don't consider the app, which is not for everybody (i.e. not everybody is interested in it)

Considering the app part of Descent 2.0 as a game is a mistake to me: it is an add-on, IMHO, i.e. it changes the original game in something that can be considered a co-op game, although it was not born for this. Probably the 3 card based co-op adventures were a better solution, but an electronic solution is of course easier to manage (expecially for us outside the USA πŸ™‚ )

BTW, when I will play Descent 2.0 again, I will play it with the app because I don't like the one vs many original version, but I miss new physical content πŸ™‚

Wow! We've come a long way with this topic! 😁 All very interesting comments and discussions.

Thinking about Descent, Mansions of Madness, and Imperial Assault, I've played all of them with their apps, and the co-op feature these apps provide is one my family prefers. No one ever wants to play the Overlord or the Bad Guys or the Empire!

From a solo standpoint, though, it takes time and energy to run any of these games by myself even with the app. With HoT, however, the solo game is wonderful, quick, easy to set up and take down, etc. Just what I need these days. So my original post was really a desire for some kind of equivalent SW game that could be played solo with the same ease that HoT provides.