Mine arrives today, posts here made me worried.

By VAYASAN, in Heroes of Terrinoth

So my box arrives today all being well.

My plan is to play with my wife and occasionally with niece and boyfriend when they visit. I would be the only one who reads the rules and then has to explain it all.

Posts from here have me a bit worried it sounds more complex than I was maybe expecting it to be? Was hoping its a pick up and play game but seen a few posts saying they fought through the rules to understand it despite the confusion on some rules.

Anyway, will soon see I guess.

No. Once you've figured the game out (which isn't that hard), it's fairly easy to plop everyone down with a character, give a one-minute overview of what the characters can do and how to progress toward winning the game, and say "I'll run the rest of it", letting them pick up the rest of the rules as the game plays out.

Just pick a straightforward scenario for the first time or two. NOT Battle in the Mistlands or the one where you're defending a town.

5 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

So my box arrives today all being well.

My plan is to play with my wife and occasionally with niece and boyfriend when they visit. I would be the only one who reads the rules and then has to explain it all.

Posts from here have me a bit worried it sounds more complex than I was maybe expecting it to be? Was hoping its a pick up and play game but seen a few posts saying they fought through the rules to understand it despite the confusion on some rules.

Anyway, will soon see I guess.

Like Xelto said, once you get a few games under your belt and you are familiar with the rules and flow of the game, it will be really easy to bring new people in to play with you. All they have to worry about is what action to activate (and there are only 4) and rolling dice. I think it is a great pick up and play game.

Ok sounds good.

Had read a few posts about it being a bit of an exact science (what action to pick) and wrong choice - no chance in the quest.

Just arrived now so will play around and get to grips with it.

It’s pretty straight forward. I got caught up with overthinking a few details on my second play through. My third play through was flawless and lots of fun. I don’t think there’s too much set up either.

I would maybe play a solo game to figure out the rules before introducing it to your wife. It's not a complex game, but it takes tome to figure out the flow.

Alternatively, watching a video may be just as helpful.

14 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

I would maybe play a solo game to figure out the rules before introducing it to your wife. It's not a complex game, but it takes tome to figure out the flow.

Alternatively, watching a video may be just as helpful.

Didnt have much time but had a look at how to set a game up on Goblin problem last night...will look more tonight. any particular vids or just search how to play HOT?

Thanks

7 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Didnt have much time but had a look at how to set a game up on Goblin problem last night...will look more tonight. any particular vids or just search how to play HOT?

Thanks

I haven't watched any videos, myself. I've been busy enough that if I have that kind of time, I'd rather be playing.

I’d just dive into a solo play after giving the rule book a read. It’s only like 8 pages I think.

I found the setup and playthrough videos from the One Stop co-op shop particularly helpful.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:58 PM, Finch204 said:

I found the setup and playthrough videos from the One Stop co-op shop particularly helpful.

Been busy so had one quick skim of the rulebook....while setting up. Found it all a bit confusing but went to the vids you mentioned and the setup one made things so muh clearer. Will run a test solo game with the first play through tonight.

I concur with what several others here have said. After you learn the game yourself, teaching others is very simple. Just teach them the bare minimum to get started, like how to make a skill check, and roughly what the 4 basic actions mean.

Everything else can be taught to them on the fly. This has an added bonus of being a co-op game. That means there's no "hey you never taught me that rule" type of moments where they think they've been robbed of some critical info that's going to make them lose.

Mmmm ... "skill check": I don't find it in the rules. Can you elaborate? Thank you. 🙂

I don't think that the game is an exact science however picking the wrong action can definitely negatively affect the game. We have had some fun with it but it's not our favourite game.