Battle in the Mistlands peril phase question

By Schmiegel, in Heroes of Terrinoth

This pertains to the red space of the Peril track on Battle in the Mistlands.. "Each hero claims one (success) and becomes engaged with 1 enemy in the shadows. That enemy suffers one damage......"

So, what if there are zero enemies in the shadows? Are the heroes then prohibited from choosing the red peril space? Would they be unable to use the red space option until there were four enemies in the shadows (during the peril phase)? Or would they just become engaged with however many enemies that were in the shadows, even if that number was less than four?

6 hours ago, Schmiegel said:

So, what if there are zero enemies in the shadows? Are the heroes then prohibited from choosing the red peril space?

One of the rules of the game is that you do as much as is possible, then move on. If nothing prohibits you from moving to the red space, you can go there. You just miss your opportunity to ping enemies for free.

6 hours ago, Schmiegel said:

Or would they just become engaged with however many enemies that were in the shadows, even if that number was less than four?

Yes. I believe the rule would be that you start with the party leader taking one, then moving clockwise around the table, each player taking one until there were no more enemies.

Thank you Xelto. That's kind of what I thought, "intuitively". It's very helpful to get your response, as a second opinion, and I appreciate it. I'm aware of that rule you're referencing, but wasn't certain if it was confined to the hero side of the equation or if it might include all other situations. Especially since in this particular quest, you actually get to choose which peril option to resolve.. Also, good point about the order of "business". That part actually mattered a lot in my game last night.