Terrain Disparity

By QuickWhit, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Anyone else a bit disappointed in the disparity between the way the older terrain and newer terrain function with regard to faction synergies? Looking at the Uthuk and Latari specific terrain (such as Eolam Dais and Desecrated Chapter) has me a bit bitter about the lack of similarly functioning terrain for Waiqar and Daqan. Certainly there are terrain pieces that synergize well with both factions, such as the Vorun'Thul's terrain for Reanimate Archers, but they can really be used against them as well.

The most obvious miss here is the Graveyard. If anything it should be similar to Desecrated Chapter in that it should be Taxing 2 (Non-Waiqar Only). I mean, why would an undead dude be afraid of a graveyard? I would also have loved to see something like: "Units at range 1 have Regenerate [Stable Runes] (Waiqar Infantry Only)." Would be thematic and useful.

For Daqan, the Temple Ruins could give an extra inspiration... or maybe protected. I'm sure there are some better ideas for Daqan only terrain benefits... they escape me at the moment though...

I'd be happier with no specific faction language at all, but certainly it seems like all four should be on even footing, yes.

4 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

I'd be happier with no specific faction language at all, but certainly it seems like all four should be on even footing, yes.

I actually really like the faction specific language. It's more interesting than just cover or deadly. That said I'm a little worried that it pushes terrain deck building in a specific direction such that we are not likely to see certain terrain ever come up in competitive play.

11 minutes ago, QuickWhit said:

Anyone else a bit disappointed in the disparity between the way the older terrain and newer terrain function with regard to faction synergies? Looking at the Uthuk and Latari specific terrain (such as Eolam Dais and Desecrated Chapter) has me a bit bitter about the lack of similarly functioning terrain for Waiqar and Daqan. Certainly there are terrain pieces that synergize well with both factions, such as the Vorun'Thul's terrain for Reanimate Archers, but they can really be used against them as well.

The most obvious miss here is the Graveyard. If anything it should be similar to Desecrated Chapter in that it should be Taxing 2 (Non-Waiqar Only). I mean, why would an undead dude be afraid of a graveyard? I would also have loved to see something like: "Units at range 1 have Regenerate [Stable Runes] (Waiqar Infantry Only)." Would be thematic and useful.

For Daqan, the Temple Ruins could give an extra inspiration... or maybe protected. I'm sure there are some better ideas for Daqan only terrain benefits... they escape me at the moment though...

Field Hospital Tent: Any unit, Collision remove 1 bane token. Daqan only, If in the terrain, Skill to gain Vitality token.

Summoning Altar
Taxing 2 (Non-Waiqar Only)
Capacity 2

Skill: (Waiqar Only)
Add up to (stable) full trays of a Waiqar Infantry unit in base contact with this terrain. End of the turn, assign a unit card and dial to this unit.

Once per game:

Maro Only
Skill: 4 Unstable Runes - Place one non-unique unit from any faction consisting of no more than two full trays in base contact with this terrain and suffer wounds equal to the armor value of the deployed unit. The deployed unit is then assigned two blight tokens.

End of the turn, assign a unit card and dial to the new unit.

4 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

I mean, why would an undead dude be afraid of a graveyard?

Panic doesn't necessarily mean fear. I mean, have you ever taken a kid to a fun activity and then had to tell them it's time to go home? It's kinda like that. ;)

39 minutes ago, Zetan said:

Panic doesn't necessarily mean fear. I mean, have you ever taken a kid to a fun activity and then had to tell them it's time to go home? It's kinda like that. ;)

Oh, I see. So the Reanimates are throwing a tantrum (panic tokens) because they went back home to the graveyard early and didn't get to kill more things. Makes sense.

EDIT: it could also be teaching because of all the gravestones your unit had to climb over. I guess.

Edited by Parakitor

I prefer faction specific terrain. It does make the terrain aspect of the game more interesting.

Waiqar should just get one that says: Waiqar only: Gain regenerate STABLE.

Not super powerful, but makes regen for reanimates go from 0-3 to 2-4.

EDIT: I might do it at distance 1. Makes it a centerpiece Waiqar can use. If you have to be touching or in it then I’m not sure it does enough

Edited by Church14
On 11/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, Viktus106 said:

Summoning Altar
Taxing 2 (Non-Waiqar Only)
Capacity 2

Skill: (Waiqar Only)
Add up to (stable) full trays of a Waiqar Infantry unit in base contact with this terrain. End of the turn, assign a unit card and dial to this unit.

Once per game:

Maro Only
Skill: 4 Unstable Runes - Place one non-unique unit from any faction consisting of no more than two full trays in base contact with this terrain and suffer wounds equal to the armor value of the deployed unit. The deployed unit is then assigned two blight tokens.

End of the turn, assign a unit card and dial to the new unit.

I love the idea of this for waiqar. I actually think it is a miss by FFG to not olay up waiqar rezing more than they do.

Hopefully in the future they up that element.

I like the unique terrain because it makes that dimension of your list-building, bid, and choice if first or second much more meaningful.

i definitely think a couple of Daqan and Waiqar specific terrain pieces would enhance the strategic part of the game. I like that the most about playing both Uthuk and Latari. For the most part, you can run your unique terrain with either faction and have it work out well for you.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:18 PM, Church14 said:

I prefer faction specific terrain. It does make the terrain aspect of the game more interesting.

Waiqar should just get one that says: Waiqar only: Gain regenerate STABLE.

Not super powerful, but makes regen for reanimates go from 0-3 to 2-4.

EDIT: I might do it at distance 1. Makes it a centerpiece Waiqar can use. If you have to be touching or in it then I’m not sure it does enough

The problem is that regen replaces models not wounds. Regen 1-2 carrion with lingering dead? Its pretty much unkillable.