Expansion Thoughts ?

By soulman, in Arkham Horror

Loving the game FF, and cannot wait for this to grow, never had AH 2nd, but they was a lot for it... Like to see other towns to appear, and maybe you talk to the sinking city game people, a city under water and rot sounds cool. And this could always lead to the counties of the Uk, or maybe other far away locations.

As for expansion thoughts, you can do the big box with new locations, or maybe single story packs, 1 new hero, 1 story and the event cards ?

Just may thoughts

I'm sure there will be many expansions because the game has a lot of potential.
I still do not have the game and watching videos I have not seen encounters in other worlds as they came out in AH 2.0.
in the games with different ancient one they have left?

My experiences with AH2/EH say that more boards do not make the game better just by being there. Total substitution of boards wouldn't be bad—that is to say, if you go to Dunwich, you play with Dunwich boards only. But sprawl for sprawl's sake just isn't good for the game.

And I'm more interested in the storyline than what locations can be found.

I would rather see no new board elements and just more new scenarios with their paraphernalia.
And a tiny bit of additional cards for the existing decks. At most 6 new cards per existing deck (because 6 players) but 3-4 card would be optimal.

I am expecting that the modular board system they have in place will allow them to add Dunwich as a separate 1-3 hexagons.

• Southside - Ma's Boarding House, Historical Society, & South Church
  • Easttown - Hibb's Roadhouse, Police Station, & Velma's Diner
  • Backwoods County - Cold Spring Glen, Whateley Farm, & Wizard's Hill
  • Blasted Heath - Devil's Hopyard, Gardner's Place, & Harney Jones' Shack
  • Village Commons - Bishop's Brooke Bridge, Darke's Carnival, Dunwich Village

The first 2 are connected normally, and the last 3 are connected normally, but the connections from Arkham to Dunwich are railroads or county roads or boat (which wouldn't be applicable unless Dunwich is on the Miskatonic River as well). Then, when you move onto a railroad/county road/boat, it costs an extra action to move off of it. If you start your movement on that special road type, then it does not require an additional action. This gives some feel of distance between Arkham & Dunwich, but doesn't take any more room on the table or significantly affect balancing or add unnecessary rules/tokens.

As for decks, I say load up the Special deck, but otherwise I agree that they are pretty good as is. In Eldritch Horror, the decks are fairly massive and thus fairly swinging upon what will appear. Small additions to the Ally, Spell (hopefully more attacks), and Common/Unique decks would be nice.

I, too, am longing for more scenarios.

As for leaving Miskatonic Valley, I'm neither expecting it nor seeking it. EH covers (broadly) the world. So, too, does the LCG. I like the idea of remaining in the Arkham, Duwnich, Kingsport, Innsmouth region, but am fine with the idea of them not working through that checklist.

I wish there was a way to change locations for a given AO (Ancient One (scenario)), but as all of the clues and story spawns are tied to them, it seems unlikely that we will see that.

On that note, has anyone tried rearranging or rotating the location hexes?

The modular boards are a perfect setup for including the other worlds. A bridge connector for the Gate and tile(s) for the world(s).

The main reason I love the new modular board design is it allows for expansions without requiring additional board sprawl. Quite genius, frankly.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:58 AM, mwmcintyre said:

The main reason I love the new modular board design is it allows for expansions without requiring additional board sprawl. Quite genius, frankly.

Yes but the board is too dark and ugly and looks like a space ship.. 😉

I would like to see a modular "Other World" section separate from the base game modular town board and the return of Gates to go through and come back through to close/seal. As much as I enjoy the story driven scenarios, I get that fix from the LCG. What I enjoyed about 2nd edition was the wackiness of the story that developed by the mix of good or bad choices mixed with good or bad luck.

So, basically, I would like to see an expansion that allows the replayability that 2nd edition offered. And an "Other World" section with a mix of ancient ones, gates, and more encounter cards per location could easily provide that in this current iteration.

That is quite possible if considering the modular board. Instead of bridge or road we could have a gate... So it can be done quite easily... If not by FFG I am sure that one fan will make it eventually!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

Other world expansions are on the top of my list. The idea that the board can be changed seems much more like a great idea for slipping through portals.

Too bad GW split up with them. This makes a great Inevitable City scene.

Instead of a street there could be train tracks or a ferry crossing

On 11/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, Shironeko said:

Yes but the board is too dark and ugly and looks like a space ship.. 😉

I disagree entirely.

Most likely small box will contain a new Archive set with new scenario location cards, and possibly rift location, and at least one elder god. Large box will have two new double sided districts (or five if outside of Arkham completely), new Archive, elder ones. Both size containing new player cards and investigators.

Any news?

No expansions expected?

Maybe autumn... but no info.

Whatever they do, I hope they gut the stupid headline mechanic. It's easily my least favorite part about this edition. They often make little thematic sense to the story and only hurt the players. I'd tolerate it more if at least a ```1/4 were positive. As it stands now, most just straight-up hurt you for no logical reason. It's extremely annoying.

It is mythos game... you Are gonna be hurt!

;)

but yeah, I agree that the hurting should be more thematic! So that each old one should have their own headline deck that make the player despair in agony!

I would be on board with characters having their own, unique headline deck. At least the headlines would make sense then.

For other things I would like to see in the expansion:
One new tile to expand the city per expansion, One enemy, and 3-4 new investigators. Keep them small. While I love Eldrtich Horror, I greatly preferred the smaller expansions over the bigger ones. The extra boards made it tedious; that's why I was excited about the modular design of AH 3rd.

I just picked up 3rd ed. I had 1st but not 2nd. (It seems to me ffg could do some small expansions with just a couple of tile add on's fairly easy.) Not sure how their printer works so truly it may be more cost-effective to do a larger expansion than the smaller one.

For those of you who played second edition though, I was just curious as to how easy you would think some of those expansions would port over to Third Edition? Not necessarily actually using the second edition expansions but actually ffg were to release those expansions in a 3rd Edition format. Just curious?

Edited by Obvious_Ninja
Fix

Things I would like to see:

A few new hexes with different space layouts for more awkward movement across them.

A few new hexes for the "outskirts" of town, places like swamps, forests, meadows.

A few hexes based on expansion locations (Innsmouth, Dunwich etc).

Some different type of street connectors such as ferries/rivers (can move into, or out of, but not through in a turn), canyons (impassible), Woods (more dangerous encounters)

Separate hexes for "other worlds" that you may enter through the anomalies. You could either have a few individual hexes off to the side, or a few that make up a second board, or some combination of single hex and multi hex other worlds. Maybe with transportation between the other worlds.... so you could use an anomaly, enter a different world, end up going through a different portal into a different other world, then come back out across Arkham.

And of course more scenario's and cards for every deck :)

Some kind of randomization for the scenario objectives. I know they have to fit together as a narrative, but they could do something with it. Like have Acts I, III, and III for each ancient one, with like 3 possible cards for each act. Each act will generally fit with the others when placed in order. You don't quite know which one you will get each act.

Would massively bump up replayability which I think is the biggest issue right now.

(please dear god don't reintroduce overly-punishing encounters or skill impairments, or fifty different unique asset decks)

Edited by MrBody

14 hours ago, MrBody said:

Some kind of randomization for the scenario objectives. I know they have to fit together as a narrative, but they could do something with it. Like have Acts I, III, and III for each ancient one, with like 3 possible cards for each act. Each act will generally fit with the others when placed in order. You don't quite know which one you will get each act.

Great idea!!!

A Severn Valley/ Glaaki based scenario would be nice.

With the way this game is mad then it can easily be expanded or even do stand alone expansions.

An example is they could make an expansion that takes place like Miskatonic University. You can play it with what you get in the box. They also have a scenario that uses the base box as well.

You can place the tiles in the rough shape of a boat and have a sea base scenario.