Iron Dwarves from BL1

By osupiper, in BattleLore

Originally posted in BGG forums:

For fun, I took a shot at converting the BL1 Iron Dwarf units to BattleLore 2nd. I broke the faction into 2 "boxes" to mimic the release of other faction armies. I will briefly explain my thoughts on each. My goal was to mimic the original unit as much as possible. Dwarves are Bold, or Immovable 1, by default; I know I could make this a trait or scenario-specific, but I feel it is powerful enough to take an ability slot for most units. From here, I plan to create a couple of quick scenarios just to play test.

I would like some thoughts from the community, particularly on the final Iron Golem ability. The idea of Dwarf Toss just sound fun to me. So...

BOX 1 – Battalion of the Bearded Brave
Storm Giant
Cattle Riders
Heavy Artillery
Clan Chiefs
Axe Swingers
Armory tile

This Box is meant to be more mobile, do more damage, use less conventional warfare, and just rely a little more on chaos on the battlefield.

Units:
HEAVY ARTILLERY (Muster=4)
Infantry, Ranged
Movement: 2
Combat Value: 3 (Range 2-5)
Health: 2
Unyielding - This unit cannot resolve Retreat effects and is never Weak.
Behemoth - If this unit moves during your Move Step, it cannot perform an attack this turn. This unit ignores units when determining Line of Sight.
(This is essentially an archer unit for an army with no archers. I used 2 abilities, as it recreated exactly the BL1 counterpart. I could see upping the muster cost, but the inability to battle back and the low health value seem to be a good tradeoff.)

AXE SWINGERS (Muster=4)
Infantry, Melee
Combat Value: 3
Health: 3
Whirlwind - (Heroic) Cause 1 additional damage, then reroll this die and apply the result. This may only occur once per Combat.
Immovable 1 - This unit may ignore 1 retreat each Combat.

CLAN CHIEFS (Muster=6)
Elite, Melee
Craving - During your Move Step, this unit may move 1 additional hex as long as it ends this additional Movement adjacent to an enemy unit.
Juggernaut - At full health, this unit may ignore up to 2 Retreats and Attacks with 1 additional die in Combat.

CATTLE RIDERS (Muster=6)
Cavalry, Melee
Health: 4
Trample - If the target unit is Supported, cause 1 damage for each Retreat ignored.
Raging Bull - (Heroic) Instead of advancing, this unit may attack an adjacent enemy, rolling 1 additional die.

STORM GIANT (Muster=8)
Caster, Ranged, Legend
Movement: 3
Combat Value: 3 (Range 1-3)
Health: 5
Cyclone - {Fan-Made, called “Strafing Storm”} If this unit did not Move in the Move Step, then in the Attack Step it may move up to 4 hexes as if Flying. Make a ranged Attack with 3 dice against all units in any hex this unit Moved through, ignoring Retreats. Enemy units cannot Counter this Attack.
Storm Bolt - (Heroic) Target unit is Shocked. Place a Shock token on the target. Units Attacking a Shocked unit roll 1 additional Attack die. Remove the Shock token after the unit is Attacked. When a player Orders a Shocked unit, he may spend 2 Lore to remove the Shock token from that unit’s hex.
Surge - {Fan-Made} (Lore) Gain 2 Lore.

Special Tile:
ARMORY (Muster Cost = 2) Follows rules/restrictions for Buildings.
Special: If a unit begins its Move phase in this tile, you may choose one of the following:
1. Troop Transport: This unit may move an additional 2 hexes this Move Step.
2. Covert Tactics: Take a Burning, Trap, or Bleed token. Place the chosen token on the target of this unit’s next Attack after resolving damage.
3. Forge: Place 1 Shield or Rallied token on this unit.

Note: Burning and Trap tokens are for effects we are using with other armies/units.
Burning - Burning units cannot attack, and Burning terrain cannot be entered or moved into or through. When a player Orders a Burning unit, he may spend 2 Lore to remove the Burn marker from that unit’s hex. Any player may spend 2 Lore to remove the Burn marker from a terrain hex during that Player’s Move step.
Trapped - Trapped targets cannot Move or Retreat. Retreats rolled against Trapped targets cause 1 damage. When a player Orders a Trapped unit, remove the Trap token from that unit’s hex and subtract 2 from that unit’s Movement that round. Flying units are treated as non-Flying while Trapped. Legendary units cannot be Trapped.

BOX 2 – The Iron Legion or The Iron Advance
Iron Golem
Bear Riders
Bagpipers
Spear Bearers
Axe Swingers
Ballista tile
This Box is meant to be more of a steady advance, more area control. It should be difficult for an enemy to get any foothold to push against this group.

Units:
BAGPIPERS (Muster=5)
Caster, Infantry, Ranged
Combat Value: 3 (range 1-3)
Alarm - (Pierce) Cannot be committed to damage target. Cause 1 Retreat instead.
Horrifying - (Heroic) Cause 1 Retreat to each enemy unit adjacent to this unit.
(In BL1, Bagpipers had to attack an adjacent unit before a unit at range. Thematically, I like that idea but felt it was easier to manage "Horrifying" in gameplay terms.)

SPEAR BEARERS (Muster=6)
Elite, Melee
Pikemen - Cavalry units Attack this unit with 1 less die, and this unit Counterattacks all units with 1 additional die.

AXE SWINGERS (Muster=4)
Infantry, Melee
Whirlwind - (Heroic) Cause 1 additional damage, then reroll this die and apply the result. This may only occur once per Combat.

BEAR RIDERS (Muster=6)
Cavalry, Melee
Movement: 3
Feeding Frenzy - (Heroic) All Heroic die results are re-rolled for melee hits or retreats until the target unit is out of range, eliminated, or no more Heroic die results are rolled.
Defiant - {Fan-Made} This unit may choose to ignore Retreats and take damage instead.

IRON GOLEM (Muster=8)
Legend, Melee
Movement: 1
Combat Value: 4
Health: 6
Immovable 2 - This unit may ignore 2 retreats each Combat.
Massive - This unit cannot move into or occupy Building hexes.
Intimidate - {Fan-Made} After advancing, this unit causes 1 Retreat to each adjacent enemy unit. Gain 1 Lore.
OR
Dwarf Toss - Instead of Attacking, this unit may pick up one figure from an adjacent friendly, non-Legend unit and throw it at an enemy unit at Range 2-3. Remove the figure from the infantry unit and make a melee Attack with 3 dice against the target.

Special Tiles:
BALLISTA (Muster Cost = 2)
Any unit occupying this space during its Attack Step may choose to roll a melee Attack with 2 dice at Range 2-5 instead of its normal Attack. Ballista attacks ignore units and Terrain when determining line of sight.

Thanks for reading.

After researching a little more and having a new idea for terrain and an ability, I have made one change to the Storm Giant and propose 2 other changes.

First, I am replacing "Surge" with "Amphibious."
Amphibious - This unit may Move through Water hexes without penalty and may end its turn on a Water hex.

Next, I prefer the simplicity of "Panic" as a condition on "Storm Bolt" rather than adding a new token. It fits thematically.

Alternately, the Storm Bolt could just be represented by a basic attack at range. This leaves me free to add this:

Snowstorm - Instead of attacking, choose a clear or Water hex at Range 1-3, which may be occupied or unoccupied. For the remainder of your turn, units occupying this hex are Blind but only while in this hex. (See rules for Blind.) Attacks into this tile are limited to 2 dice, and the attacking unit may choose the direction of a target’s retreat. At the end of the Turn, this hex is replaced by a Frozen Tundra tile for the remainder of the game.

Blind - Blind units have a Movement Value of 1 and Attack and Counterattack with 1 less die. When a Blind unit is forced to retreat, the opposing player may choose the path of retreat. When a player Orders a Blind unit, he may spend 2 Lore to remove the Blind marker from the unit’s hex.

Frozen Tundra - It takes 2 Movement points to cross this tile. Attacks into or out of this tile are limited to 2 dice. When attacking a target unit that occupies this tile, the first Retreat may be committed to cause 1 damage instead.

I realize I am adding a lot here, but the big play ability from this unit would be pretty fun.

Looks nice - will try as soon as possible to play with this rules :)