Timing of the Water Stance additional action

By narukagami, in Rules Questions

So just to clarify, does the additional action from Water stance have a specific "timing" to it? Like for example can the action come either before or after a Strike, or can it only be performed after the "main" action?

I can't find a sequencing specified, and it should be in the conflict chapter, but given that free movement can occur either before or after, and the most common no-roll options are additional move of 1 band, ready a weapon, and calming breath... I'd allow either before or after, but not simultaneous.

4 hours ago, AK_Aramis said:

I can't find a sequencing specified, and it should be in the conflict chapter, but given that free movement can occur either before or after, and the most common no-roll options are additional move of 1 band, ready a weapon, and calming breath... I'd allow either before or after, but not simultaneous.

I'd second this. It would feel especially bad if you couldn't use Water stance to do something like ready a new weapon, then attack with it on the same turn because technically you can only use the extra action after your regular action. While that does make the stance stronger, I think having a stance be a bit too strong is a lot better than having a stance feel terrible because most of the situations you would actually want to use it in have its use effectively prohibited by the rules.

So I ended up also asking Customer Service and got a reply:

Hi [redacted],

The actions from Water stance can be performed in either order.

I hope that this helps!

--

Max Brooke

RPG & Miniatures Developer

So official word is that there's no set order to the extra actions. So, for example, Preparing a weapon then Striking with it on the same turn is officially a valid use of Water Stance.