The Free Folk and Master of Whispers

By w00d182, in Rules Questions

HI Team

can someone give me a definite answer if The Free Folk works with Master of Whispers in Melee? The group is kinda split on this and i have not seen a FAQ saying it does not interact . The wording is.. ambigous and on 1 hand it says Yes because you have a claim on someone , then you can apply the the 2nd claim from free folk and if Master of Whispers says you can apply a Intrigue claim on everyone

You can apply a second claim with Free Folk, but only the opponent who lost the challenge suffers the claim.

The reasoning for this would be that the rules for applying claim are all worded in terms of winning/losing the challenge. So unless a card effect specifically tells you to apply to someone other than the loser of the challenge, the claim is limited to the loser of the challenge. So, there are two possible situations:

1) You have the title and the Free Folk agenda. You win a qualifying intrigue challenge and apply claim - to as many players as you want because of the title's specific instructions. You then trigger the Reaction on the agenda to apply military or power claim. However, it will only be applied to the losing player because the title doesn't extend to power or military claim.

2) You have the title and the Free Folk agenda. You win a qualifying military or power challenge and apply claim - to just the losing player, of course. You then triggers the Reaction on the agenda to apply intrigue claim. Since you are now applying and resolving intrigue claim, the title's ability would kick in and could thus have the intrigue claim resolve against as many players as you like.

Kakita Shiro's answer is 100% correct (i.e., the combination of the title and the agenda results in only the losing player suffering the power/military claim, but as many players as you choose suffering the intrigue claim), but that's the reasoning behind it, and why its true regardless of the type of challenge you actually win.

Edited by ktom