New Stuff for Genesys?

By Tesoe, in Realms of Terrinoth

I've been thinking about picking up the Terneroth book, but I'm not running anything fantasy at the moment. I've heard it adds some new stuff to Genesys as a whole though. Can anyone fill me in on what new stuff the book brings to the table?

While it does add some things that could be used in other settings, it's pretty well focused on fantasy. Some of the major additions are Heroic Abilities, which are similar to Signature Abilities; updated crafting and potion rules; new magic rules and implements (the rune bound shards could easily be re-skinned as tech that grants users fantastic abilities, but any of the magic could be used in this way).

Most of the book is about the Terrinoth setting though. If you aren't interested in running high fantasy you can do without. If you are interested in high fantasy, you could still do without, as Genesys Core Rulebook already has everything you need. The new stuff in Terrinoth offers up some really cool ways to expand on the high fantasy setting, though!

43 minutes ago, dfrost303 said:

While it does add some things that could be used in other settings, it's pretty well focused on fantasy. Some of the major additions are Heroic Abilities, which are similar to Signature Abilities; updated crafting and potion rules; new magic rules and implements (the rune bound shards could easily be re-skinned as tech that grants users fantastic abilities, but any of the magic could be used in this way).

Most of the book is about the Terrinoth setting though. If you aren't interested in running high fantasy you can do without. If you are interested in high fantasy, you could still do without, as Genesys Core Rulebook already has everything you need. The new stuff in Terrinoth offers up some really cool ways to expand on the high fantasy setting, though!

Nice, good to know. Any new archetypes? I found the main book lacking pretty hard in example archetypes.

Realms of Terrinoth contains a fair amount of supplemental rules, but outside of the fantasy genre less of it is useful as a whole.

As an overview:

Chapter 1 and 3 contain almost nothing of value to you. Of it the most useful things are the npcs, but they use the fantasy skills and items.

Chapter 2 contains new species, and presents subspecies with alternate abilities. It has an alternate set of careers, and includes suggested starting equipment for them which you can take in lieu of the normal starting currency. There are some new talents, many of which can be used in other settings. There are two new magic skills, as well as some new magic implements, and magic items (most of which will require some work to recycle). As has been mentioned above, RoT introduces Heroic Abilities, which are fairly setting neutral aside from the table of example origins, and the available Signature Weapons. There are rules for Mounted Combat and Crafting (including tables for spending results). There is a new "Craftsmanship" element to equipment (examples include iron versus steel weapons and armor, or oaken versus willow implements). There are new Item Attachments, some of which are enchantments, but the mechanics could be reflavored.

13 hours ago, Tesoe said:

Nice, good to know. Any new archetypes? I found the main book lacking pretty hard in example archetypes.

Nay, the Humans of Terrinoth use the "Average Human" archetype as their basis. Though one could datamine some of the special abilities from the various RoT subspecies for use in creating new Archetypes.

Completely independant of RoT... I know I recently saw a set of supplemental human archetypes which also included some alternate special abilities for the GCRB Archetypes (My link-fu is weak today). I also saw a set of archetypes for a mecha-campaign on Cannibal Halfling Gaming ( https://cannibalhalflinggaming.com/2018/04/10/system-hack-genesys-mecha-archetypes-and-careers/ ). They're all homebrew, but they can at least provide more frames of reference.

Thanks for the info @Cantriped !