MOTF - Battle Report Ep.10

By Irokenics, in Battle Reports

Both sides try out the new turrets and special forces units!

Edited by Irokenics

15 min mark the debate over cover.

Did they really get heavy cover? Doesn’t the line from centre base of attacker to centre base of each target have to cross over terrain before you check for obstruction of LOS?

Looked to me that only 1 unit in squad had the imaginary line cross over the terrain.

Per the RRG, Pg 24:

"Determine Number of Obscured Miniatures: The player checks line of sight from the attacker’s unit leader to each mini in the defending unit. If any part of a defending mini, including its base, is blocked by a piece of terrain, the player then traces an imaginary line from the center of the base of the attacker’s unit leader to the center of the base of the defending mini. If the imaginary line crosses the piece of terrain that blocked line of sight, the defending mini is obscured. The player repeats this process for each mini in the defender to determine how many of those minis are obscured."

So basically you check obstruction of LOS first and then check centre line to centre line.

I freely admit sometimes we mess it up, but in the above example I recall that eyeballing the centre line it crossed over the turret on the unit leader and the guy up against the turret beside him. Only 4 guys in the unit and all you need is 50% of the unit to be obstructed to receive cover.

Hope you enjoyed the video.

Yeh tell me about it, I think 6 of us at the LGS played our first tournemant by just rellying on LOS and obstruction check alone, it's easy to forget, but at a glance it looked like 3 units were visble, pretty sure it was just the camera angle when I looked up.

Good video as always, I'm a little concerned I bought 2 E-Webs & 1.4 FDs for no good reason, after watching that, but I really wanted to paint some up and I think they could be fun for some custom base defence scenarios.

On 11/10/2018 at 8:48 AM, Digimortal said:

Yeh tell me about it, I think 6 of us at the LGS played our first tournemant by just rellying on LOS and obstruction check alone, it's easy to forget, but at a glance it looked like 3 units were visble, pretty sure it was just the camera angle when I looked up.

Good video as always, I'm a little concerned I bought 2 E-Webs & 1.4 FDs for no good reason, after watching that, but I really wanted to paint some up and I think they could be fun for some custom base defence scenarios.

I definitely think there's a place for them! I just think the main part I personally find hard is that a lot of their job is area denial. So when they're being good at their job... nothing is really there for them to shoot. So it's weird because they're doing what you want them to do, but also you're sitting there going "I JUST WANT TO ROLL SOME DICE AND SHOOT THINGS".