Custom Hero: Hagum the Merchant

By Jjiinx, in Descent Home Brews

Hagum.jpg

or

Hagum2.jpg

First version: Power varies wildly depending on how much money is floating around in the quest, but it seems a tad poweful in general, and against bosses he unloads 10 attacks in one turn and automatically wins the quest. Not fond of this idea.

Second version: Causes all the heroes to transfer items to him to sell so that he can get more money for them. This will take a lot of time and be annoying, especially with the tiny backpack space limits in Descent. Not fond of this one, either.

People have proposed a lot of different abilities/skills for a hero that affect his wealth, and I dislike most of them. If you allow them to sell more effecitvely, then you encourage heroes to give him all the stuff to sell, which is annoying. If you allow them to buy more effectively, you get the same thing, because that's the only way to transfer money between heroes. If you give them extra starting gold, then it's overpowered in quests with weak treasure and sucks in quests with early powerful treasure.

The version I used in Enduring Evil (for the Treasure Hunter skill) is to give the hero extra money when they receive a treasure from a chest : 100 coins if it's copper, 200 if silver, 300 if gold. This gives the hero the same benefit no matter what the other heroes do, and the size and timing are commensurate with the treasures being given out in the quest. It also lets the hero draw an extra treasure card and choose which to keep, but again, only when the treasure comes from a chest, not when shopping.

The Pickpocket approach of giving money when the hero kills someone might also be OK in normal Descent (when most hits result in kills), though I don't particularly like that it can potentially be gamed by controlling the order and targets of each hero's attacks, and the actual amount of money given out by Pickpocket is pathetic.

What about "Heroes who end their turn adjacent to Hagum the Merchant may buy and sell items as if they were in a town"

Also about the 1st one, What if he spent 1 fatigue and 100 coins to make an unarmed attack during his turn?

There must be something wrong with my browser... I can't see any hero cards or pictures in this thread...

I can't see them either, Wanderer.

Also, howabout (For the ability) "Whenever any player sells an item, they recieve 25 more Gold for that item. Whenever a monster attacks you, you may pay 25 Gold for each wound that you would sustain to ignore that wound."

That would give him some good use, make him able to survive if he has low Wounds (I assume he does, can't see the picture) and would make him fairly original.