Ghoul questions

By Augster, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hey,

Played the basic game with my kids and we all loved it. But lots of rule-diving. Some questions on the ghoul.

For raising and taking followers, can I only take monsters with a “strength” as a follower? I’ve done a lot of reading since playing. Or can I take any enemy I defeat as a follower, but only use the followers with “strength” to add to a battle? And if I happen to fight something that uses craft, could I use a follower’s craft (that I raised) in that enounter? I’m guessing no as the Ghoul card only says “strength”.

Inevitably the ghoul gets killed, as he’s so weak anyway. Do his undead followers stay in the space for the next person and follow that character? Or do they become something the next character has to fight? Or do they just go to the discard as they were only followers raised by the Ghoul? I’m guessing that one.

And it’d be the same if the ghoul becomes a toad?

Lastly, and this one we botched and was pretty easy from my reading since playing I’m guessing. Game setup. Ghoul says 4 life. I put up 4 life counters. 4 fate, I put up 4 fate counters. 1 gold everyone starts with.

Is that it? Or do I put up 2 strength counters on the other side, effectively making him 4 strength? Same with craft? Or do those counters only come on when an encounter says to change or handing in trophies?

Thanks for the help. This forum is a great resource and most all of my questions have been answered. Just asking these few so that my kids believe me for next time. :)

15 hours ago, Augster said:

For raising and taking followers, can I only take monsters with a “strength” as a follower? I’ve done a lot of reading since playing. Or can I take any enemy I defeat as a follower, but only use the followers with “strength” to add to a battle? And if I happen to fight something that uses craft, could I use a follower’s craft (that I raised) in that enounter? I’m guessing no as the Ghoul card only says “strength”.

The ability says "in battle" thus only Strength enemies. You fight Craft enemies in psychic combat.

15 hours ago, Augster said:

Inevitably the ghoul gets killed, as he’s so weak anyway. Do his undead followers stay in the space for the next person and follow that character? Or do they become something the next character has to fight? Or do they just go to the discard as they were only followers raised by the Ghoul? I’m guessing that one.

They are discarded. The same if he gets toadified

or loses them any other way.

Regarding the Strength and Craft counters, your Strength (or Craft) equals your Strength (or Craft) value, which is the value printed on the character card plus your Strength (or Craft) counters, which you gain during the course of the game.

Thanks so much for those answers. I agree with each of them from my continued reading on this forum. Very helpful. Thanks.

A couple more clarifications please.

1. In an attack, whether a player or monster, all adjustments to the roll have to come before the roll, correct? Except for a spell or something that says “at ANY time” it could be used. Is that right?

2. Armor/helmet etc. can only block damage from a battle. Not a craft attack and not an attack from the crown of command. Is that right?

3. How many weapons/armor can one character have on/use?

Thanks so much!

On 11/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, Augster said:

1. In an attack, whether a player or monster, all adjustments to the roll have to come before the roll, correct? Except for a spell or something that says “at ANY time” it could be used. Is that right?

2. Armor/helmet etc. can only block damage from a battle. Not a craft attack and not an attack from the crown of command. Is that right?

3. How many weapons/armor can one character have on/use?

1. It seems to me you are playing with the base game only. And as far as I know there is not a card in the base game deck, that lets you add numbers to a die roll after it is made. There are cards in the epxansions, that let you add a number to a die roll after it is made, they say it specifically, like the Marked for Glory spell from the Frostmarch expansion, or Spider Queen character from the Woodland expansion and a few others. Or did you refer to a specific card you are unsure about?

2. As with the previous post, in the base game there are armours that prevent loss of life from battle only, in the expansions there are armours that prevent it during the psychic combat (that means in a fight using Craft), still they say so. The Command spell is a spell, it can be countered by spells such as the Counterspell, not by an armour.

3. Characters may have any number of weapons or armours as long as they fit in their carrying limit. They may only use one of each during battle or psychic combat, which you choose before it takes place. Only the Warrior and the Dervish characacters may use two weapons during battle (only battle though!).

5 hours ago, Cru4n said:

1. It seems to me you are playing with the base game only. And as far as I know there is not a card in the base game deck, that lets you add numbers to a die roll after it is made. There are cards in the epxansions, that let you add a number to a die roll after it is made, they say it specifically, like the Marked for Glory spell from the Frostmarch expansion, or Spider Queen character from the Woodland expansion and a few others. Or did you refer to a specific card you are unsure about?

2. As with the previous post, in the base game there are armours that prevent loss of life from battle only, in the expansions there are armours that prevent it during the psychic combat (that means in a fight using Craft), still they say so. The Command spell is a spell, it can be countered by spells such as the Counterspell, not by an armour.

3. Characters may have any number of weapons or armours as long as they fit in their carrying limit. They may only use one of each during battle or psychic combat, which you choose before it takes place. Only the Warrior and the Dervish characacters may use two weapons during battle (only battle though!).

You are correct. Only base game.

Thanks for all the help. All of it makes sense.