Shugenja offerings.

By Shosur0, in Houserules

So in the new edition shugenjas have no limit to the times they can cast their invocations. They can also importune the kami for invocations (once per scene) they dont have by offering something valuable.

On top of that, "A shugenja who makes a material offering alongside an invocation may reroll up to 3 rolled dice showing blank results. The material offering is consumed in this process.". So my player grabs a bunch of seashells or flowers, or incense, etc. and he's gonna be repeating 3 dice on every invocation. That sounds really really strong. So... I was thinking, perhaps the number of dice can scale depending on the value of the offering? And I dont mean material value, but f.e. the usual stuff (incense, seashells, burning paper, etc) repeat 1 die. Burning the painting your friend gave you, offering a valuable gem to an earth kami, etc lets you repeat more dice. How does it sound?

Edited by Shosur0

Shugenja can only cast Invocations freely on Conflict scenes and, except for mass battles, it is very rare for them to go much longer than 3 rounds. I'm kind of following the fluff on the kami being more finicky with helping a shugenja if their reason for using the Invocation is not very pressing or noble, even on conflict scenes.

But speaking of your idea, I think it is a good rule if you are smelling cheese. You can also make the local kami uninterested in a present of the same value, so the shugenja will have to either cycle through the elements or increase the value of the offering every time he wants to enjoy the benefits of an offering on their roll in the same scene.

you think they can only cast during conflicts ? like, they cannot cast a heal or repair equipment invocation during narrative/downtime ?

20 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

you think they can only cast during conflicts ? like, they cannot cast a heal or repair equipment invocation during narrative/downtime ?

I worded it poorly. They can only cast a given Invocation once per Narrative or Downtime scene: "Kami are not obligated to answer the call of a shugenja, nor do they tend to react to frivolous entreaties. Outside of conflicts and other life-and-death situations, a shugenja can only attempt a given invocation once per scene;" (pg 189)

15 hours ago, Shosur0 said:

On top of that, "A shugenja who makes a material offering alongside an invocation may reroll up to 3 rolled dice showing blank results. The material offering is consumed in this process.". So my player grabs a bunch of seashells or flowers, or incense, etc. and he's gonna be repeating 3 dice on every invocation. That sounds really really strong. So... I was thinking, perhaps the number of dice can scale depending on the value of the offering? And I dont mean material value, but f.e. the usual stuff (incense, seashells, burning paper, etc) repeat 1 die. Burning the painting your friend gave you, offering a valuable gem to an earth kami, etc lets you repeat more dice. How does it sound?

Either that, or agree with your players what quantity and/or quality of sacrament constitutes a proper offering.

"Look, I picked up a squashed flower from the sole of my shoe!" does not constitute a proper offering for the Kami Of The North Wind.

(note: I'm not saying anyone suggested it did - this is a deliberately over-the-top example to prove a point)

If acquiring and/or carrying enough material for multiple "proper" offerings is a meaningful challenge, then whilst a well-prepared Shujenga going into battle/the wilderness/whatever is likely carrying enough to make one or two offerings, they wouldn't have enough to make an offering with every single invocation.

At which point, like void points or personally valuable offerings for importune invocations, deciding when and where it's important enough to use them becomes important.

As an example; coins are a common offering to a water kami. At which point, a value in copper or gold appropriate to the magnificence of the Kami being called upon (flattery never hurts) is something the player and GM can discuss.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
On 11/5/2018 at 3:52 PM, omnicrone said:

Shugenja can only cast Invocations freely on Conflict scenes and, except for mass battles, it is very rare for them to go much longer than 3 rounds.

I've had very few fights last less than 5 rounds in skirmish (of 30 some now, I think 'twas 3). I've had zero intrigues less than 5 rounds (of 7 intrigues). I've only run 3 mass battles - but all three ran to 5+ rounds. "Very rare" is because it's usually more, not usually less.

Even in the BG adventure, only one of the fights was as short as 3 rounds... and that was due to 16 damage (net 12 Bonus Successes, and 2 opportunity)

On 11/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, omnicrone said:

"Kami are not obligated to answer the call of a shugenja, nor do they tend to react to frivolous entreaties. Outside of conflicts and other life-and-death situations, a shugenja can only attempt a given invocation once per scene;" (pg 189)

Life of death is a big proviso there. There is a lot of life or death situations that are not conflicts, like how the kami wouldn't look dirty at the Shugenja trying to cure everyone poisoned at the dinner.