Beyond the Rim (custom campaign)

By Sixfreed, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

4 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

I've introduced your idea to my group of IA-friends, and i think we will start testing your campaign next month.

This is great news, I'm looking forward to see how it went for you! :) Will update the first maps with helpful tools soon.

I have first question - i see maps, but i can't find what tiles are used to create it. Is it placed somewhere in docs?

I would for sure manage to find out their numbers and sets, but it would take some time.

3 minutes ago, Shwarrz said:

I have first question - i see maps, but i can't find what tiles are used to create it. Is it placed somewhere in docs?

I would for sure manage to find out their numbers and sets, but it would take some time.

Hi! Yes, the updated mission rules will include the numbering. I think it'll be ready today, but in a few days at worst. Luckily I named the map layers in the editor, so it's going to be easy. :)

Great!

Ok, 4 questions after reading "Introduction":
- Heroes start with any XP points? You wrote " Introduction (threat level: 2) (XP cap: 2)" - or am I getting it wrong and XP cap is refering to the max amount of XP to be gained after mission?

- Neutral Mission Tohens are placed randomly? Can Imperial Player know which one is which?

- What about second Royal Guard figure? Only one gets chance to kick some Rebel assess?

- How it is decided which mission is played after "Introduction"? Green if rebels win and Red if they loose?

3 minutes ago, Shwarrz said:

Great!

Ok, 4 questions after reading "Introduction":
- Heroes start with any XP points? You wrote " Introduction (threat level: 2) (XP cap: 2)" - or am I getting it wrong and XP cap is refering to the max amount of XP to be gained after mission?

- Neutral Mission Tohens are placed randomly? Can Imperial Player know which one is which?

- What about second Royal Guard figure? Only one gets chance to kick some Rebel assess?

- How it is decided which mission is played after "Introduction"? Green if rebels win and Red if they loose?

Hi! Quick answers:

1) Your second idea is right: XP cap means max amount of XP the players can earn after the mission. (This is due to avoid quick snowballing after the missions with the intel-system.)

2) Yes, they are placed randomly. As for the IP it doesn't really matter if he knows or not, I would say it's more fun if he doesn't know.

3) No second Royal Guard, one elite RG is enough for an intro mission, I suppose. :) (Although the IP can spend threat to deploy the second one if he's got enough threat for it.)

4) Mission numbers 2D and 2V (as all the other story missions with D and V letters after the number) refer to what happened in the previous story mission. 2D is played if the players were defeated, and 2V is played if the players were victorious. There is a special case, 5DD is played if both the introduction and the second story mission were a defeat for the rebel players.

Make sure to check which influence and class decks are banned for the Imperial Player (you can find it in the campaign overview) and which rebel heroes cannot be chosen. :) Happy New Year!

UPDATE:

The first 6 missions got a little revamp. All the missions are now in separate folders. There are two pdf files that should be downloaded. The first one is the mission briefing, the second one is the printables. This is unnecessary, but helps a lot playing the missions.

All missions now have mission rule reference cards (custom skirmish mission cards), deployment cards for the custom characters and hidden objective cards for the rebel players. (2 is drawn before each mission.)

I would appreciate some help in finding the template for the FFG campaign book. I saw that the custom campaigns are designed the same way. Anyone know how to do it? I guess it would be a little better than the ugly pdf-s.

5D and 5DD are still under development. I need to take a short break for job starts tomorrow, but will finish them soon.

If anyone wouldn't like to jump into a full campaign yet, intermissions can practically be played without playing the campaign itself. (But they're spoilery.) The second intermission has some reference to the previous ones, but you can ignore or randomize them.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:13 AM, Sixfreed said:

I would appreciate some help in finding the template for the FFG campaign book. I saw that the custom campaigns are designed the same way. Anyone know how to do it? I guess it would be a little better than the ugly pdf-s.

Maybe try to contact Darth Jawa from Boardgamegeek?
https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Darth Jawa

UPDATE:

The two missing missions (Unorthodox Trading Methods and Canto Bight Heist) are up and running on the drive. The first half of the campaign is now complete, so anyone can try it and have a natural break before the Midtime Mission. :)

ntJAiBg.png

Edited by Sixfreed

Hi

the 5DD mission is lack of pdf version

1 hour ago, fabiofotomoto said:

Hi

the 5DD mission is lack of pdf version

Yepp, it's fixed now, thank you! :)

Ok, we're starting this Saturday.

Few more questions:

Is Angel (hero) Playable from the beginig or is she exclusive only to one mission? And correct me if I'm wrong:

C-NG starts deactivated ->someone activates him -> when he is defeated he deactivates, Angel flips to wounded side -> someone activates him, Angel stay wounded -> when he is defeated, he deactivates - Angel is defeated (?) so he cannot activate again? So what for Angel has health value?

Imperial Class in "Adversaries" catalog deck is playable for this campaign or is it exclusive for some missions??

Vinto is only unavailable for campaign to play the role of Vijar? If so, can I play Vijar as token/another figure and still bring Vinto to play? maybe other restrictions are similar?

Mission 3 - Hera Syndulla receive Laminate Armour. Is it already included on Shira's deployment card? When heroes receive her as ally she still have this upgrade or is it one mission addition?

During Intermision allies can be wounded - it's easy in case of 1-fugure group. But how it goes with multi-figure group? They're treaten separately?One figure wounded, one not in one group. Or when last of group would be fefeated he is wounded but stay alone or group is reinforced and all figures are wounded?

7 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

Ok, we're starting this Saturday.

Few more questions:

Is Angel (hero) Playable from the beginig or is she exclusive only to one mission? And correct me if I'm wrong:

C-NG starts deactivated ->someone activates him -> when he is defeated he deactivates, Angel flips to wounded side -> someone activates him, Angel stay wounded -> when he is defeated, he deactivates - Angel is defeated (?) so he cannot activate again? So what for Angel has health value?

Imperial Class in "Adversaries" catalog deck is playable for this campaign or is it exclusive for some missions??

Vinto is only unavailable for campaign to play the role of Vijar? If so, can I play Vijar as token/another figure and still bring Vinto to play? maybe other restrictions are similar?

Mission 3 - Hera Syndulla receive Laminate Armour. Is it already included on Shira's deployment card? When heroes receive her as ally she still have this upgrade or is it one mission addition?

During Intermision allies can be wounded - it's easy in case of 1-fugure group. But how it goes with multi-figure group? They're treaten separately?One figure wounded, one not in one group. Or when last of group would be fefeated he is wounded but stay alone or group is reinforced and all figures are wounded?

Hi! It's nice to hear, looking forward for your thoughts about the campaign!

Quick answers:

1) Angel is exclusive for that mission. I'm planning to make her a choosable hero for other campaigns, but it's under development now, so she would be pretty unbalanced for that. She cannot be defeated in that mission. (Will think about how it will play out in regular campaigns.) So you can deactivate C-NG as many times you'd like. Note that deactivating C-NG many times does slow down the progress of the rebels, and time works against them, so it's a valid imperial tactic there.

2) Same with the adversaries deck. It's untested now and will be changed a lot. Seems unbalanced at the moment, I wouldn't recommend to try it at this phase of the development, but you can give it a go, maybe fine-tune it yourselves and tell me how it worked out.

3) That's an interesting question. You can replace Vinto with another figure (like Greedo) or a token and make Vinto a playable character. It would be a little awkward to use similar abilities for an adversary as a hero, but still, it wouldn't hurt game balance I guess. Maybe it would alter the atmosphere a bit.

4) No, it's not included on her deployment card, so when she gets to the players as an ally, she leaves the armor behind. (She's just glad enough to be alive.)

5) I don't really get this part. During intermissions, the player's deployment groups cannot be wounded, they become defeated unless it's mentioned otherwise in an intermission's ruleset. Currently I don't remember any intermissions allowing someone to get wounded instead of defeated. Think of intermissions as special skirmish games implemented in the campaign with a handful of extra ruleset. All the players have deployment groups controlled instead of heroes, so there are no allies in these as well. But maybe I just misunderstood your question.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Sixfreed said:

Hi! It's nice to hear, looking forward for your thoughts about the campaign!

2) Same with the adversaries deck. It's untested now and will be changed a lot. Seems unbalanced at the moment, I wouldn't recommend to try it at this phase of the development, but you can give it a go, maybe fine-tune it yourselves and tell me how it worked out.

5) I don't really get this part. During intermissions, the player's deployment groups cannot be wounded, they become defeated unless it's mentioned otherwise in an intermission's ruleset. Currently I don't remember any intermissions allowing someone to get wounded instead of defeated. Think of intermissions as special skirmish games implemented in the campaign with a handful of extra ruleset. All the players have deployment groups controlled instead of heroes, so there are no allies in these as well. But maybe I just misunderstood your question.

I'll certainly give you some feedback from us.

2) I think i'll give it a try.

5) Overview file reads " Though the Rebel Players won’t be as powerful as their heroes on these missions, the played allies will have special rules. Firstly, allies can be wounded before withdrawn. Place one strain on the corresponding deployment card and receive a Weakened condition. The weakened condition is permanent and the figure’s speed is decreased by 1. Also, the figure cannot perform any ability checks anymore. Note that the allies still count as deployment " That's what I ment.

Ah, I see. :) That was an early conception of the introductions, which changed during development, so for the time being, ignore that rule. Thank you for the notice! :)

2 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

I'll certainly give you some feedback from us.

2) I think i'll give it a try.

5) Overview file reads " Though the Rebel Players won’t be as powerful as their heroes on these missions, the played allies will have special rules. Firstly, allies can be wounded before withdrawn. Place one strain on the corresponding deployment card and receive a Weakened condition. The weakened condition is permanent and the figure’s speed is decreased by 1. Also, the figure cannot perform any ability checks anymore. Note that the allies still count as deployment " That's what I ment.

Fine.

Ok, another one - when do I exactly reveal additional objectives to the Rebels? If there is no indication on card should I reveal all of them to the Rebels at the start of the mission?

14 minutes ago, Shwarrz said:

Fine.

Ok, another one - when do I exactly reveal additional objectives to the Rebels? If there is no indication on card should I reveal all of them to the Rebels at the start of the mission?

Yes, if there are no other indications, just show them at the start of the mission.

I've made custom campaign log. Take a look if it's valid and cohesive with your ideas

https://imgur.com/a/xdh2Qke

Yet another question, how we decide wchich side mission will be played? Random or Rebel get the chance to choose 1 form 4, and next one 1 from 3 remaining?

I love the Campaign Log! If you don't mind I would love to implement it with mentioning you of course. :)

Side missions are chosen by Rebel Players, yes. They can be informed what type of rewards they would get (XP, credits, Zeb and intel).

Sure, feel free to use it, I can send you better quality and vector graphics files for modifications. I've also made one with basic informations implemented.

https://imgur.com/I3w2TZw

17 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

Sure, feel free to use it, I can send you better quality and vector graphics files for modifications. I've also made one with basic informations implemented.

https://imgur.com/I3w2TZw

That's awesome, thank you! :)

Feedback from first gameplay.

First of all, my friends pointed out that my campaign log does not have checkboxes for marking Rebel/Imperial victory for each mission – I have to correct it… xD

Back to thread – we’ve managed to play only first two missions, your ideas for mission mechanics are marvelous, but takes long to play. Each of tchem took us circa 3 hours gameplay + prep time.

For now it’s double Imperial Win. My Rebels are Loku, Verena, Gharkhan and Fenn. Imperial class deck – Power of the Dark Side.

For the Introduction we have nothing to complain about. It’s suprisingly balanced. My Rebels were defeted becouse of poor choice of heroes – no good technics test, they’ve failed soooooo many Times with this terminal. (I think i’m going to let tchem change one hero for the rest of campaign). They were not able to even capture pod, not to tell about freeing rebel captive. Threfore I do not understand what the red loot box is there for – maybe a little story would help – it seemed really not important.

Yiyar Clan Infiltrated – My rebels were really confused what this mission is about, raching „mission will progres…” for the third time took away all motivation. For what i can tell they had no idea what’s going on. Side quests seemed for them co irrelevant - IT-3PO was not reward risking time or health for – doors remained closed. They’ve also completely ignored loot boxes – any teasing what’s inside them, and not telling wchich one is wchich would help. Rebels should know from the start that killing Yav Yiyar is their goal even if they have no idea where he is and what they meet on their way. But the main reason of their failure were HK droids. So powerful at this stage of the campaign, reinforceing them was painful for rebels. By the time they’v defeated Onar all Rebels were wounded and one withdrawn. Second missiond did noth help them at all – I’ve got 5 intel and the rebels 2 – snowball is rolling. I’ve decided I’ll not use them for now – if the winds turn, i’ll spend some.

So, for the second mission I would recommend:

-making secondonary objectives important. Maybe IT-3PO should have pass key for Entrance Door – then it makes sense he cannot die. So you need to free him or do extreme 4 Test to open them or 15 health/black Dice defense. But then less enemies on the outside tiles because I was able to wound first Rebel in the first turn.

-repleace HK for some custom cards lik „Salvaged HK”, one blue die less, 6 points, no rerolling enemies defense dice.

Bot for both mission It would be so helpful if there was more story. So the rebels could know What the heck is in fact going on. If you would like I could help you - and write something. For my friends it’s so important to know where they are and what are they fighting for.

Feedback #2

Rebel failure continues… Oh man, this campaign of yours is so entertaining, but also gives hard time to my fellow Rebels. First of all, your ideas are still amusing me, I love how creative they are.

As i’ve said I let my Rebels change one hero to balance testing in their team – Fenn Signis switch places with Jyn Odan so for now It’s not problem anymore. Then I asume you could consider puting in Overview file sugestion that balancing tests is highly recommended.

Shira’s Fate: Idea for intermision proceeding somewhere else in the meantime of the campaign is awesome. The only mission won by Rebels for now, but it gave them a hard time. In fact I was able to kill Shira quite fast or droid, but I was willing to play so I kind of focused on killing prisoners. The prisoners freed: Echo Troopers, Rebel Saboteurs and Sabine Wren (I do not own her so I’v made custom card and called her Jas Emari). My open groups then: Riot Troopers, Heavy Troopers, ISB Infiltrator. That was hardly considered equal. Second phase: Shira, Droid, Sabine and Soboteurs. Dianoga hits hard – I like it! Both saboteurs didn’t stand a Chance. Path chosen – Download map data. Revealing map tiles was so entertaining for them. But only Shira and droid manager to get to elevators. And by that time my players was so exhaustet with this mission that all fun ended. Shira was at 5 HP, droid 3. All of them claimed that this mission should end in Phase 2. Building another huge map, running through corridors, destroying doors… tooo much. The mission took us more than 3 hours(and I’ve had tiles por each phase and command cards prepared)!

Side Note: There are no deployment points in Phase 2

Recomendation:

-sugestion that freeing prisioners is pivotal for win

-toss out Phase 3, mission is extremely long

-threat level for prisoner „-2” instead of „-1”

TBC

Edited by Shwarrz

Side Mission D - The secret of the Wheel:

Complete Rebel Failure – they couldn’t reach point of Clawdith plot twist. There were 3 reasons: Time, Security Protocol and Droids. Investigating clues was fun. Unsuprisingly they’ve figured out at the start which one needs which test – they split up and activated them all bu the start of round 3. And when you do math at this time – imposible to reach wall by round 6. 24 squares from clue that needs strength to wall that needs 2 strength. Quite imposible considering imperial figures blocking movement and that figures need to spend all actions for movement so I can make them wounded. Ant then another one need to do 3 technics. „Whel security” hit them hard – 1 threat for 1 Rebel attack is tought. 6 Rebels attack – I can deploy Stormtroopers. They’ve lost both story missions so no hard attack on me, then -1 for secutity, then my defense. Hardly 1-2 hit results per attack – seems like no damage for my Imperials. I start to thing that droids arek ind on Nemesis for my Rebels –They’ve lost all previous story missions, this Security Droids Group can make 2 hero wounded in 2 activations. Extremely powerful for this stage of the campaign. (No Idea what would happened after wall was removed - last hero bleed out at this point xD)

-swap clues: Loot box in place of terminal, terminal in place of mission token, mission token instead of loot box.

-no need for hero to be healthy to test wall, add 1 succes for spending 1 intel

-Wheel Security: change ”wounded” failure condition for „withdrawn”

-change Security Droids for something weaker – maybe just another Wing Guards or Alternative deployment Card with no „2 attacks ability”

Side note: 2 red mission tokens and 2 red terminals – you stated they need all 3 red clues – maybe change security room wall and terminal for blue.

TBC

Side Mission A - Bring a Friend

Before that mission Rebels spent 5 Intel for Gharkhaan reward Card, I bought „Tusken Weapon” – that was mistake, Snow Troopers with this card are crashing opponents, their’s first attack almost made Verena wounded. Map is huge, when we counted movement points (24 from start to red terminal) – it takes 3 turns to get there, and on the way is dianoga, imperial forces and 2 doors. At the end of 6 turn they had 1 healthy hero on 3 HP, red terminal activated, and almost destroyed tech room door. I haven’t even said them that behind them are Security Droids. No way of wining this in my opinion. I think map needs serious rebuilding - tiles Hoth 05,06 are just to big and Bespin 04 looks marvelous but additional movement points costs heroes a lot. I have no Idea how they would be able to protect prisoner.

Recomendations:

-Extreme map rebuilding, maybe I’ll try to experiment with this myself and replay this one.

-Security Droids replaced for Probe/elite Probe

-Sorin „”OR” BT-1 when Rebels have lost both missions, „AND” if they won at least one.

Side Note: There is no word how to activate bridge again, we’ve asumed using blue terminal does that.

That's all for now.