Custom Hero: Soku the Desperate

By Jjiinx, in Descent Home Brews

Giving the custom hero thing a shot, wanted to make a melee thief type hero with a throwing knife ability.

Soku.jpg

Did you intend for him to spend his remaining movement points when using that ability, or to count them as range but still spend then normally afterward?

Overriding rolled range with remaining movement points is an odd mechanic. On the one hand, he can't hit anything that he couldn't have moved up to anyway, except when something stops movement but not LOS (water, grapple, etc.), so I expect mostly it allows him to avoid movement hazards (especially if the movement is spent). But it allows him to make ridiculously long-range attacks if he wants to for some reason (Advance + fatigue + potion, 14 range...), and melee weapons generally do considerably more damage than ranged weapons of the same level.

No, he doesn't spend his movement points to make the throw, the range is just equal to how many he has remaining, after attacking he can still move his remaining movement points. Also I updated the original picture to only work for melee 1h weapons, It didn't hit me that the ability worded it so that he could chuck a 2h battle axe across two rooms and kill a fly.

Also after a little bit of testing, his real shine comes from kiting, being able to attack from a distance and then able to run away even further

CT is too high, though overall he is fairly well-endowed with high stats and a strong ability.
4CT is to high for a 12/1, especially a 12/1 with high Mv so unable to freely use the heavier armours.

You also need to think about the Off Hand bonus. Technically he'd get that for his ranged attack since the requirment is to have two 1H melee weapons equipped, not to be making a melee attack.
That makes his attack extremely strong - almost ridiculously strong, for a ranged attack, especially one that will never miss for lack of range (he nows in advance what the range is and what he has before attacking.

Sorry, IMO needs serious reworking. The only good news is that he is unbalanced both ways - once in favour of the OL (CT) and once in favour of the heroes (overpowerful attack). That is better than being unbalanced one way but I think it is still bad to be double-unbalanced and better to be more evenly balanced

New version of the ability is actually less clear, since it's not clear how long the change lasts, and range is a property of attacks, not weapons.

Antistone said:

New version of the ability is actually less clear, since it's not clear how long the change lasts, and range is a property of attacks, not weapons.

Would you mind helping me out with a rewording of the skill? I've tried many different approached but I just cant seem to word it the right way. Basically I want him to be able to spend 1 fatigue to turn a 1h melee weapon into a 1h ranged weapon (turning it into a ranged weapon would remove the off hand bonus, right?) until his attack phase is complete.

Jjiinx said:

Antistone said:

Would you mind helping me out with a rewording of the skill? I've tried many different approached but I just cant seem to word it the right way. Basically I want him to be able to spend 1 fatigue to turn a 1h melee weapon into a 1h ranged weapon (turning it into a ranged weapon would remove the off hand bonus, right?) until his attack phase is complete.

"When declaring an attack Soku the Desperate may spend one fatigue to change the attribute of a single 1H weapon from 'Melee' to 'Ranged' for that attack."

This eliminates the ranged thing you had going, which is probably good as that was fairly badly abuseable. However the rolled range will often still be very low unless he has skills or something else to give him a range bonus. You may want to add "Once per turn..." at the beginning to prevent him spending 2 fatigue when battling (or worse). You probably want to add a sentence about the dice of the weapon (either confirming they stay the same, particularly the red dice, or stating how they change) - eg "The weapon still uses the red dice instead of the blue dice."

You should probably still either fatigue or move by one and reduce the CT value to 3.

Corbon said:

4CT is to high for a 12/1, especially a 12/1 with high Mv so unable to freely use the heavier armours.

I don't really understand this. Are you suggesting that having more movement points is a reason to have a lower CT value?

mahkra said:

I don't really understand this. Are you suggesting that having more movement points is a reason to have a lower CT value?

He's pointing out anti-synergistic hero qualities: having poor defenses for your conquest value pushes you to wear heavy armor, and having high speed pushes you to wear light armor. Since you can't satisfy both of those at once, the hero is even worse than he looks; the whole is less than the sum of its parts, so to speak.

Dropping his speed to 4 wouldn't make the conquest value more reasonable, but dropping his speed to 4 and giving him an equivalent advantage to make up for it would. Slightly.

Antistone said:

mahkra said:

He's pointing out anti-synergistic hero qualities: having poor defenses for your conquest value pushes you to wear heavy armor, and having high speed pushes you to wear light armor. Since you can't satisfy both of those at once, the hero is even worse than he looks; the whole is less than the sum of its parts, so to speak.

Dropping his speed to 4 wouldn't make the conquest value more reasonable, but dropping his speed to 4 and giving him an equivalent advantage to make up for it would. Slightly.

As always, Antistone articulates so much better than I could. cool.gif

I did note that he was already particularly well endowed stats-wise. So dropping 1 Movement and giving him a partial advantage (less CT cost, down to 3) to make up for it would probably work out about right (actually still slightly overpowerful, but at a much more reasonable level).