Unplayable figures...

By NeverBetTheFett, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

20 hours ago, Ram said:

In my opinion, the elite stormtroopers is the perfect deployment and all other deployments should compare to them. The eStormys and the eRebel troopers should be one short:able by all major deployments and possible to one shot with all medium deployments. The creep in number of dice and hit points makes the game way less fun in my book.

Dont get me wrong, the game is awesome. It would just be more awesome with that mindset. In my very humble opinion. :)

Yes, I think too many figures are 3 dice attacks without being priced correctly, which overpowers them. Thus a group of stormtroopers is not really worth taking in this game. They're not unplayable, but just not great in the meta game. The same thing happened to X-wing with tie fighters. They are the benchmark for both versions of the game (confirmed with me by the designers). I think it would make sense to make stormtroopers the benchmark in IA. I have a feeling that because of their broad use in previous metas, the benchmark was not maintained and now they're overpriced/underpowered. You don't want them to be too powerful by any means, but their lack of appearance on the table isn't ideal.

And you're right. This game is awesome. It's well balanced and still has design space to work with. The issue(s) is really the relationship with Disney (for content) and Hasbro (for board game licence issues). The game doesn't have many holes in it regarding game play...aka not a lot of ways to cheat. Regardless, I find it amazing to play casually. I rarely have a game where some crazy combo doesn't blow the game wide open. I find most of my games pretty exciting.

@cnemmick I didn't realize you dropped the Spy trait, that does make a big deal! I actually really like the fix you proposed above, she's definitely playable but doesn't seem OP on initial glance, and at 1 cost her command card is really really valuable on the current tournament maps and is probably an auto-include (figures like to clump up around terminals especially on Tarkin Initiative Labs, but also somewhat on Mos Eisley and sometimes on Uscru (especially the top Zone). Well done!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, NeverBetTheFett said:

Yes, I think too many figures are 3 dice attacks without being priced correctly, which overpowers them. Thus a group of stormtroopers is not really worth taking in this game. They're not unplayable, but just not great in the meta game. The same thing happened to X-wing with tie fighters. They are the benchmark for both versions of the game (confirmed with me by the designers). I think it would make sense to make stormtroopers the benchmark in IA. I have a feeling that because of their broad use in previous metas, the benchmark was not maintained and now they're overpriced/underpowered. You don't want them to be too powerful by any means, but their lack of appearance on the table isn't ideal.

And you're right. This game is awesome. It's well balanced and still has design space to work with. The issue(s) is really the relationship with Disney (for content) and Hasbro (for board game licence issues). The game doesn't have many holes in it regarding game play...aka not a lot of ways to cheat. Regardless, I find it amazing to play casually. I rarely have a game where some crazy combo doesn't blow the game wide open. I find most of my games pretty exciting.

The comapasion with X-wing is spot on. The X-wing game changed a lot from the early Waves to the last ones of v1.0. I wish they would do just a Little bit of a reboot of this game as well. Heck, I would be happy just by one or a couple of Points price recuction for most wave 1 deployments! I would probably play eEwebs for 6 Points. It can be as simple as having an unique attachment card that says *Veteran, 0 Points "Decrease the cost of a trooper deploymen by 2" and then the fancy wordings that ensures that it cant be played on later wave deploymnets.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, Ram said:

The comapasion with X-wing is spot on. The X-wing game changed a lot from the early Waves to the last ones of v1.0. I wish they would do just a Little bit of a reboot of this game as well. Heck, I would be happy just by one or a couple of Points price recuction for most wave 1 deployments! I would probably play eEwebs for 6 Points. It can be as simple as having an unique attachment card that says *Veteran, 0 Points "Decrease the cost of a trooper deploymen by 2" and then the fancy wordings that ensures that it cant be played on later wave deploymnets.

All they really have to do is put point costs online and on the LotA app and say the costs on the cards are suggestions for startup/casual play blah blah blah or something like that.

I'd also like to see the lists go to 75-100 for some more granularity for sure. Wouldn't take much.

On the other hand, then there would be the whole issue of over/underpriced skirmish cards etc. etc... So I doubt it's going to happen, unfortunately.