Templar talent

By Furrman, in Realms of Terrinoth

Hi All!

I have a problem with understand purpose of talent "Templar" described in RoT. It adds additonal skill (magic skills - Divine exactly) to list of known skill of our character and allow to cast only one spell per encounter.
Anyone now why only once per encounter? I could create my own class basing on Core book to have that skill from beginning (together with other skills from non magical carier like warrior for ex.) and cast spell whenever I want.
I do not see any purpose of doing so. Maybe I missed something, but any help from your side will be very welcome :).

Good question! It’s simply ffg making a thematic Talent. Sure you can make your own career from the start, but plenty of players won’t, this gives them the opportunity to get a little Magic.

Additionally Templar (Improved) is a cheaper version of Battle Casting with only 2 T1 talents required to support it in the talent tree (one of which will be Templar). So for 20xp + skill ranks you can cast one spell in battle without being impeded by your gear. Normally anyone else will be spending 50xp on Talents to ignore those penalties.

Edited by Richardbuxton

It sounds like Templar talents is something similar to multiclassing or some kind of advancement. You receiving some features from other source (in this case from Cleric) with limited usage without sacrificing a tone of experience for that. And it is allowed to take/train after creating character.

Thanks for help! I think this FFG's solution require extending usage to similar talents giving new skills and features, which are assigned to different class ;). This is worth to consider for next time ^^.

Edited by Furrman

I got the feeling that Templar was simply the best way they could think of to allow player's to create a 'secondary spellcaster'. Because otherwise it is impossible to play someone who 'only does a little bit of magic' without under-utilizing their capabilities. Since you'll still have to invest enough experience to have a reasonable chance of success when you do cast a spell.

I think increasing the strain cost would have also worked, but "once per encounter" is still about three to five spells per session.

It’s cool you could cast mass resurrection at the end of each party wipe.