Happy Dengar Day!

By NeverBetTheFett, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

As you all know, Sunday is Dengar's birthday. To honour him, my friend and I are playing a jank is best tournament against eachother. The rules are simple:

1. Pick 5 of the worst deployment cards for each faction. The ones that are unplayable by competitive terms.

2. From the 10 cards for your faction, randomly draft 2 cards and build a list around it.

3. Have fun.

Can anyone suggest what they think are their 5 worst deployment cards for each faction?

I think the the worst 5 in rebels are biv, diala, han (no upgrade), chewie(no upgrade), and verena talos. Scum is boba, dentgar, tuskins, Elite HK's (although HK's are my favorite figure in the game even ran them at Gencon the elites suck), and elite hired guns. Imperials are Repulser tank, AT-ST, RGC, general sorin, and Vader(no buff card).

add e-web engineer for imps :)

I dunno, I've played with Varena and had fun with her - her command card is great! She's not the best, but I wouldn't call her one of the five worst. For me I'd probably go:

Rebel : Biv, Gaarkhan, Saska (extra fun for a jank tourney!), elite smuggler, Loku (honourable mention to Fenn, who is another one that would be fun to build a list around, and the regular troopers, who would not be)

Merc: Elite hired guns, elite wampa, regular gammorreans, wing guards, regular trandos

Imp: E-web (both kinds, but especially regular), Kayn Somos (as much as it hurts to say it), AT-ST/Weiss/Repulsor Tank (lumping these together to fit in some extra badness), elite royal guards, Sorin (another fun one for a jank tourney)

I personally think with lie in ambush ewebs are good and with ct fenn is good. I forgot about garkam though. Also Saska is not as bad as verenna. Kayn is very good if you use him right that is why I didn’t put him on the list also e royal guards are ok in certain lists

Edited by Zagnoroth

Verena can stick it to Vader even unless he rolls 6 blocks ?

I think Punishing Strike and Under Duress has to be up there as top 5 in Mercs

Biv Loku Diala and Gaarkhan have to make it in any Rebel list

As the runner up of 2018's Biv Cup, held in beautiful Columbus, Ohio AND as the sad man who has been working on a skirmish fixes document, I feel like I should contribute here:

Top 5 Worst Rebels:

1. Rebel Trooper - You'd think being able to move 4 spaces and self-Focus is pretty awesome. But with their surge abilities, blue/green/yellow is woefully underpowered on damage output. You'd think Aim is something that could help that. But then you realize there's almost never an opportunity to push or leave a Rebel Trooper in position so that they can shoot BEFORE moving. White die and 5 Health ensures they have a 5/6 chance of dying from one shot.
  2. Biv Bodhrik - There is a picture of me and @defkhan1 (Champion of 2018's Biv Cup) giving our Biv cards the middle finger. It is a well earned middle finger.
  3. Loku Kanoloa - Two! Two Double Special Actions That Are Impossible To Use! Ah ah ahhh! *lightning strikes* *thunder rolls*
  4. Fenn Signis - Trooper Assault is nifty, but Fenn's damage output is horrendous for his cost and his survivability. That includes the fact he can Assault.
  5. Rebel Saboteurs - You have to invest all Focus conditions into them... in order for them to maybe Stun and do 2 DMG. With Doubt in the meta, they can't even rely on keeping the Focus before they attack.

Top 5 Worst Imperials:

1. E-Web Engineer - Without a massive rework of how this figure deploys or moves, it is unplayable. (Lie In Ambush seems pretty good if you can keep the E-Web Engineer alive... and even with a static +1 BLOCK, it can easily get focus-fired off the board.)
  2. (tie) AT-ST, General Weiss - Sucks way too much deployment point value out of your list, especially since you'll need to invest heavily in support figures to help the AT-ST & Weiss to move & shoot outside of their activations.
  3. Kayn Somos - Wishes he had the deployment cost of Captain Terro, the extended ability range of Advanced Com Systems and the attack prowess of Thrawn.
  4. Heavy Stormtroopers - Wildly inconsistent attackers. Has a defense buff that is easily mitigated through positioning. Are as slow as the Emperor without the blessing of doing things while double moving .
  5. ISB Infiltrators - Doubt takes away their guaranteed ability to stay Hidden between activations, which is their one major advantage over other Imperial figures.

Top 5 Worst Scum:

1. Tusken Raider - "These tracks are side by side. Sandpeople always ride single file to get picked off from afar one-by-one since their Special Action ranged attack is garbage." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Imperial Assault General.
  2. Wampa - Always gets an arm shot off before it can attack. Just not inexpensive enough to make it worth running with skirmish upgrades.
  3. Boba Fett - One activation of an unfocused Greedo has roughly the same damage outcomes as one activation of an unfocused Boba Fett. Greedo costs 4 points.
  4. Wing Guard - Now that players score VPs with each figure defeated -- and Scum now have all sorts of buffs towards gaining VPs -- it's difficult to justify sacrificing 6 or 9 VPs to your opponent so that they shoot your Wing Guard instead of your other figures.
  5. Dengar - Happy birthday, buddy!

cnemmick , any list like this not mentioning Gaarkhan is objectively flawed. ;)

8 hours ago, Ram said:

cnemmick , any list like this not mentioning Gaarkhan is objectively flawed. ;)

Hahaha that's fair. Given how important Stun has become to shut down Spectre Cell/Vader/IG-88, I pulled the eSabs above Gaarkhan.

And the people want Gaarkhan not to suck! He was probably the 2nd or 3rd most-used figure in ZF's skirmish fixes tournament. In my current version of the document ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tSo0jH4u_q1OZitrGSj_m_IH-rGe1gieuVCjngVdgMk/edit?usp= drivesdk), I removed the whole surge for self-Focus mechanic that makes his attack math so difficult:

Regular Unique Deployment Card - Gaarkhan (Unstoppable Ferocity)

Cost: 6

Brawler - Wookie - Guardian

+1 BLOCK

SURGE: 1 DMG

DOUBLE SURGE: Pierce 2, Bleed

Brutal Cleave: After this attack resolves, if the target suffered at least 1 DMG, you may move up to 1 space and choose another adjacent hostile figure. That figure suffers 1 DMG.

Enraged: If you have suffered at least 1 DMG, you can perform multiple attacks each activation.

=> Charge: Move 4 Spaces. Then, you may perform an attack.

Attack Type: Melee

Attack Pool: red/yellow/blue

Defense Pool: black

Speed: 4

Health: 12

1 hour ago, cnemmick said:

And the people want Gaarkhan not to suck! He was probably the 2nd or 3rd most-used figure in ZF's skirmish fixes tournament. In my current version of the document ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tSo0jH4u_q1OZitrGSj_m_IH-rGe1gieuVCjngVdgMk/edit?usp= drivesdk), I removed the whole surge for self-Focus mechanic that makes his attack math so difficult:

Regular Unique Deployment Card - Gaarkhan (Unstoppable Ferocity)

That seems legit. Good re-design.

It would be great if FFG just let the players vote on one redesign (or two?) per year and make it official. I would love that. It would really help the meta too and give the players a sense of ownership. It could even be a temporary thing, so the two (or three?) that got upgraded would only stay that way for 6 months or so (sort of how the maps come and go in rotations). I suppose for those 3 (or four?) fixed characters you could just print up something at the printers but it would be legal in tournaments... [Are you listening, FFG?]

What say you all?

Also, in the spirit of Dengar day (whatever that is?) I was using Dengar against SC last night (ended up losing but it was fun, I thought all his conditions might be hurtful to SC) and I got his Payback card right before he died... It says interrupt to perform an attack blah blah blah, but it would be like Greedo, where he still get's to interrupt before he dies right? That would have been nice if it was...

Also, quick rules q... When Zeb does his Bo Rifle melee attack for free... does he get to use the surge abilities on that too? (Wouldn't make sense to use the accuracy surge but two red dice and the possibility of plus two damage for a surge is beastly.)

My weird Dengar list did OK against SC (I did lose) but then again I was playing against my 10 year old daughter! haha. She did awesome! SC gives her a fun advantage without me having to cheat and give her 50 deployment points or something like I often do! Love it.

1 hour ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Also, in the spirit of Dengar day (whatever that is?) I was using Dengar against SC last night (ended up losing but it was fun, I thought all his conditions might be hurtful to SC) and I got his Payback card right before he died... It says interrupt to perform an attack blah blah blah, but it would be like Greedo, where he still get's to interrupt before he dies right? That would have been nice if it was..

Yeah, unfortunately Dengar doesn't get to shoot if he's defeated.

Also, quick rules q... When Zeb does his Bo Rifle melee attack for free... does he get to use the surge abilities on that too? (Wouldn't make sense to use the accuracy surge but two red dice and the possibility of plus two damage for a surge is beastly.)

It is an attack, so you can use surge abilities.

3 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

It would be great if FFG just let the players vote on one redesign (or two?) per year and make it official. I would love that. It would really help the meta too and give the players a sense of ownership. It could even be a temporary thing, so the two (or three?) that got upgraded would only stay that way for 6 months or so (sort of how the maps come and go in rotations). I suppose for those 3 (or four?) fixed characters you could just print up something at the printers but it would be legal in tournaments... [Are you listening, FFG?]

What say you all?

I love this idea. I Think they should do this once every two months and then release a fix pack to sell for $5-10. I would totally buy such a pack.

4 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Also, quick rules q... When Zeb does his Bo Rifle melee attack for free... does he get to use the surge abilities on that too?

Yes. The (surge) abilities are available for all attacks the figure performs.

FAQ

-- When a figure corresponding to a Deployment card
performs an attack using an alternate attack pool (such as
the melee attack from "Close and Personal" on Biv Bodhrik's
Deployment card), they may still trigger their surge abilities,
unless the ability triggering the attack states otherwise.

Dengar is going to destroy SC keeping Ezra stunned all the time :D

The repulsive tank is so bad I won't allow it at my table