How was your lucky dip!

By Funk Fu master, in Discover: Lands Unknown

I picked up my copy of the game today.

I scored Desert and Badlands. Thematic for linking up the games. Not very varied in topography though...

Oh well. Good excuse to buy our friends copies for xmas

Ok quick first impression after first game...(2 player, desert, scenario 1)

I don't know if I like it or not....

The encounter and theat cards were fun to draw and read, but the chain reaction encounters (draw this # card, then draw thus # card, were cumbersome)

The lethal combat was...weird. you just kept rolling until you or the threat died. Other monsters were fun through.

The cards, map and symbols seemed tiny and hard to see for my (bespectacled) wife

Night time was alreadys dreaded, which was fun.

But we both still want to play the next scenario to see where it leads, so thats good, right?

12 hours ago, Funk Fu master said:

But we both still want to play the next scenario to see where it leads, so thats good, right?

That's always a good thing. And you can keep on replaying the game right?

6 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

That's always a good thing. And you can keep on replaying the game right?

Yes. As there is still a lot of randomness to each play.

We have played another two games, scenario 2 and 3 (3 is badlands). I died in the second game but we acheived the mission. We were both wiped out in the third game. The badlands is quite different to the desert, which is good. And we are getting the undertones of a connected subplot between everything.

I can see us playing this a dozen times or so, and then looking to swap our box with someone or buy another pre-opened to get different biomes.

I can also see a market for expansions that give new biomes/scenerios/encounters.

Our biggest gripe now is that the landmark numbers are fixed to the board, and so are repeated. If there was a randomness mechanic to it it would aid in replayability.

I got Mountain/Desert and the following characters/survivors:

• cop
  • mobster
  • missionary
  • heiress
  • construction worker
  • mountain climber
  • pharmacist
  • rancher
  • lumberjack
  • monk
  • fisherman
  • ASSASSIN!!!

i was hoping to get mountains and one of the unrevealed terrains. I really didn't want the desert. So what do I get? The terrain I really want and the terrain I really hate.

Do you hate sand?

Does it get everywhere?

I pulled:

desert biome 2.3, 3.32 and 3.34

badlands biome 6.11, 6.12 and 7.1

character packs

Harmonie Marello - Heiress

Eliana Moreno-Rojas - Police Officer

Pemma Je - Monk

Nelson Kellor - Fisherman

Biff O’Bannon - Lumberjack

Ethan Hansen - Mobster

Fernando Toro - Explorer

Alex The Shadow - Agent

Masaki Satomura - Sushi Chef

Felicia De’Leon -Wcologist

Lauretta James - Postal Worker

Anna Karim - Painter

Small card packs-

I picked up Island and Badlands.

Looking forward to playing. :)

Postal Worker, Sushi Chief, Assassin? Those are hilariously awesome!

Sushi Chef actually seems really useful, having not gotten around to playing my copy yet.

I got Desert and Bayou. Don't know how well they connect storywise but i like the different mood. Bright desert und those spooky bayou tiles. I would still like to visit mountain or island terrain.. maybe another copy some day :)

How about your craftable items?

23 hours ago, sabrjay said:

I got Mountain/Desert and the following characters/survivors:

• ASSASSIN!!!

i was hoping to get mountains and one of the unrevealed terrains. I really didn't want the desert. So what do I get? The terrain I really want and the terrain I really hate.

One you want and one you hate... Balance in all things!

What I think of when I read assassin + moutain:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor assassins creed mountain

23 hours ago, sabrjay said:

• cop
  • mobster
  • missionary
  • heiress
  • construction worker
  • mountain climber
  • pharmacist
  • rancher
  • lumberjack
  • monk
  • fisherman
  • ASSASSIN!!!

Great, now I wanna play this game as the Village People. ;)

Any comments on how usefull each character is?

I see mountain climber on the list so that one has to be good in the mountain biome, right? Lumberjack also sounds good. While pharmasist, seems like a good choice regardless of region. (I'm asuming you start with medicene, painkillers, first aid kit or can make your own stuff from what you find).

Being a fisherman in the desert would kinda suck. (Altough he's probably good at navigation I assume.)

But what good is being an heiress? The desert doesn't care about your millions...

Edited by Robin Graves
6 hours ago, Duciris said:

Postal Worker, Sushi Chief, Assassin? Those are hilariously awesome!

Is there PvP in this game?

29 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Any comments on how usefull each character is?...

While pharmasist, seems like a good choice regardless of region.

Pharmasist is arguably one of the most powerful and vital characters. Its the only ability I have seen that heals physical damage.

Sushi chef is also excellent at staying alive away from camp

27 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Yes. Scenerio 5 is competitive and you can attack each other

4 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

4 hours ago, Funk Fu master said:

Yes. Scenerio 5 is competitive and you can attack each other

And the rest of the game is mostly cooperative. I'm not sure that you can hurt each other, but you don't win or lose based on the survival of other players.

8 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

I see mountain climber on the list so that one has to be good in the mountain biome, right? Lumberjack also sounds good. While pharmasist, seems like a good choice regardless of region. (I'm asuming you start with medicene, painkillers, first aid kit or can make your own stuff from what you find).

Being a fisherman in the desert would kinda suck. (Altough he's probably good at navigation I assume.)

But what good is being an heiress? The desert doesn't care about your millions...

The Mountain Climber is useful to get through more difficult terrain in any of the Biomes. Each terrain setting reference book tells you how much stamina it costs to move through specific types of terrain - she just reduces the stamina cost when it's higher than 1

Watching an unboxing video and saw the Heiress special ability - basically she can easily make it back to the fire by the end of the day and it's much safer to be at a lit fire when night falls. (1 stamina:move 4 spaces towards the nearest lit fire then end your turn)

Edited by mwmcintyre

I have island and bad lands. Lots of human junk and ruins.

• postal worker
  • agent
  • painter
  • sushi chef
  • ecologist
  • explorer
  • chemist
  • used car salesman
  • bouncer
  • chef
  • girl scout
  • hunter

The used car salesman can trade resources with another survivor in his space and that survivor doesn't have to agree to the trade for it to happen! The agent looks really tough.

Edited by Kravel
18 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

• Climber gets -1 to stamina cost for each hex to a minimum of 1, so he is good in any biome.
  • Fisherman, for 1 stamina you get one meat at water source and fish location once per day.
  • Pharmacist starts with one medicine. For 1 stamina can heal one physical damage per medicine per player.
  • Heiress, 1 stamina move 4 spaces to nearest fire then end your turn.
Edited by sabrjay
On 10/25/2018 at 10:18 PM, zyxba said:

Harmonie Marello - Heiress

Eliana Moreno-Rojas - Police Officer

Pemma Je - Monk

Nelson Kellor - Fisherman

Biff O’Bannon - Lumberjack

Ethan Hansen - Mobster

I got this exact pack

On 10/25/2018 at 10:18 PM, zyxba said:

I pulled:

desert biome 2.3, 3.32 and 3.34

What scenarios are listed on your desert reference sheet? Mine is 1,2 and 5.

They are good for any biome. But the climber will be especially effective in the Mountain biome, because it has a lot of high-stamina terrain.

4 hours ago, sabrjay said:

What scenarios are listed on your desert reference sheet? Mine is 1,2 and 5.

1, 2, and 5 also.

So, watching some unboxing videos and figured out all the different types of terrain. It's fair to say that even if two people get the same types of terrain, they may get different map tiles and so different landmarks - so even the same terrain may not be exactly the same. The back of the box says there are 6 types of terrain available, so here are the ones I've seen:

1)Island

2)Badlands

3)Snowy Mountain

4)Desert

5)Bayou

6)Valley

I'm also assuming from the reference sheets that each type of terrain is solidly assigned to scenarios 1 and 2 or to scenarios 3 and 4 and all of them work with scenario 5

My Island terrain reference says it is for scenarios 1, 2, and 5
My Badlands reference says it is for scenarios 3, 4, and 5