Serious question

By Number16, in X-Wing Squad Builder

As far as I am aware the rationale for having an app that holds the points instead of having them fixed on the cards is that rolling adjustments can be made. This could be for errata or points manipulation at tournaments.

Given that there is no offline mode, may I ask how this will work at a venue that has no internet coverage? If I turn up with a list (with points changes) that someone else then questions how will it be checked?

Will a tournament organiser have to drive down to the local Macdonalds to use their free WiFi and go through each player's list?

I am eager to hear how this situation is to be resolved.

I think the assumption is that cellular internet is available everywhere.

This is obviously not true, FFG isn't exactly good at the the whole "software development" thing, so I doubt they gave the issue much thought.

4 hours ago, jftanner said:

I think the assumption is that cellular internet is available everywhere.

It'll be a hoot the first time a major XWM event doesn't have good cellular access cuz "things" (weather, the local internet provider, the venue's routing hardware, a truck backed into the wrong phone pole, etc.).

Edited by Darth Meanie

I'm going to pax unplugged in philly for system open, I have 7gigs of data so I'm ok. But the pax website says they have free wifi and have warned it probably can't handle thousands that go to pax. Not everyone has data hopefully a offline mode will be released asap.

1. FFG has the point totals on their website that can be downloaded/printed.

2. FFG will make an announcement when points/FAQ/errata go into effect, and usually go into effect 1-2 weeks after they are posted.

3. Download LaunchBayNext which is offline capable, and use YASB 2.0 when you have mobile access. They simply have better features overall right now.

Tourney providers might have to provide cell-phone access via Wifi. If a particular cell-signal is better than the rest, get a SIM for the Wifi router, and carry it around the site.

9 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

1. FFG has the point totals on their website that can be downloaded/printed.

2. FFG will make an announcement when points/FAQ/errata go into effect, and usually go into effect 1-2 weeks after they are posted.

3. Download LaunchBayNext which is offline capable, and use YASB 2.0 when you have mobile access. They simply have better features overall right now.

You can also "share" your list as a PDF which you can download to your mobile device or print prior to the tourney.

In the case of locations without internet to begin with, TOs should be aware ahead of time and simply print out current PDFs ahead of time.

Realistically, the infrequency of points updates should keep this from being too much of an issue.

Well now another format has been added and even though it is more than 2nd edition (not by much) it has not featured in the app.

A big update better be coming soon but with the mess the current app is in. I am not expecting much.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:20 PM, Marinealver said:

Well now another format has been added and even though it is more than 2nd edition (not by much) it has not featured in the app.

A big update better be coming soon but with the mess the current app is in. I am not expecting much.

Hyperspace format is to bring the FO and Resistance into balance with the current “2.0” format. They’ll update 2.0 only to hyperspace, or add it separately, when they update the app in a week.