In which we talk about how badass Space Marines should be.

By The Wyzard, in Deathwatch

warpdancer said:

Read the Dark Angels Background(who´ve killed a few Inquisitors), and the Space Wolves

I think Members get an Invitation and chose to follow them or chosen and send from their chapters. I think Military command would be in the hand of the Teamleader.

While being members of the Deathwatch? I don't think so. Which is the point of my post (and this game).

I guess the inquisitor and senior marine could divide power in any way they like, depending on their personalities. Haven't decided on what I'd prefer yet - probably having the inquisitor act a HQ of sorts, with the teamleader in field command. Then again, wouldn't want to make this game a structural clone of Inquisitor. It seems as if Deathwatch members are drawn feudally, like a small arrière ban, on the call from the inquisitor and from chapters sworn to raise such forces. Lexicanum says that teams are usually led by the inquisitor (though not in what capacity), but in dire need a captain or a librarian may assume command. The leader's word is law.

So very likely, the marines are too badass to swallow just any old crap from a master they cant tolerate, not unlike high medieval barons in relationship to the king. But are also bound to service by their vow. Cool! Lots of room for tension there. Will be interesting to see what FFG have to say about command structure and discipline.

Polaria said:

Actually no, marines are not just people with 19 implants on them. The very prerequisite of handling those 19 implants is the successfull integration of "the Geneseed" into the persons genetic code. The moment the marine actually becomes a marine the retrovirus called "the Geneseed" has permanently altered his DNA to the point where it would be very unlikely to produce offspring of any sort.

Interesting perspective since the background mentions that there are 19 separate strands of "geneseed" that are specifically associated with each of the implanted zygotes. With that said, there are examples throughout the background that do imply a genetic component, e.g. the Cup of Wulfen of the Space Wolves and the Red Grail practices of the Blood Angels. The Canix Helix sounds very much like a "metamorphic nanovirus," as does the whole Sanguinary Priests thing.

So the boat seems to be out on this one, with the 'fluff' itself going both ways. I guess that, once again, it's up to the individual to make up their own mind as to how much of the genome of the individual Marine is altered.

On my own behalf? I prefer to view the zygotes as discrete bionetic implants, which do not really have an impact upon the genetic code of the individual Marine. On the other hand, some Chapters maintain "ancient technologies," or the idea of the metamorphic nanovirus, that do alter the genome. The latter is something that applies more directly to First Founding Chapters.

Again, though, that's just my interpretation and is subject to change when someone comes up with a more interesting or just plain "cooler" concept. gran_risa.gif

Kage

They have a short story in a collection called "Heroes of the Space Marines" that is about a deathwatch insertion into an ork hulk. In it the Marines are basically given very detailed intelligence about their mission and targets and then it is up to the marines to use their vast knowledge of fieldcraft to get the job done. Thats not to say that an inquisitor could come along in some scenarios and take command. But it seems like he would be a hindrance because of how hard the Marines are pushing themselves to either babysit him or just have him keep up.

Atheosis said:

Lucius Valerius said:

Atheosis said:

That said, when a Marine is placed under an Inquisitor's command he is expected to follow that Inquisitor's orders. Only in extreme cases would a Deathwatch Marine refuse an order by an Inquisitor, and even then he faces serious consequences unless he can prove treason or heresy on the Inquisitor's part.

I'm not sure a SM can't assume command for tactical reasons. Let's say the DW team is lead by an Inq, under normal circumstances he's running the show but let's say they discover the hole bloody planet is under a genestealer infestation and they have to get from point A to point B for extraction or whatever, I'm fairly sure the Astartes commander should take command..

Such things would likely depend on the Inquisitor in question. Technically an Inquisitor could maintain his authority in such a situation. That said an Inquisitor with any sense (you don't survive long as an Inquisitor without it) would likely defer to the team leader's superior knowledge and experience in combat situations.

Pretty much what I've gathered as well from all the books. Inquisitors requisition resources of the chamber militants, but they do so because the Deathwatch/Grey Knights don't need hands on leadership. Sort of a crude analogy, but the Deathwatch/Grey Knights are the fire and forget weapons to the Guards laser guided weapons.

Jude Order said:

They have a short story in a collection called "Heroes of the Space Marines" that is about a deathwatch insertion into an ork hulk. In it the Marines are basically given very detailed intelligence about their mission and targets and then it is up to the marines to use their vast knowledge of fieldcraft to get the job done. Thats not to say that an inquisitor could come along in some scenarios and take command. But it seems like he would be a hindrance because of how hard the Marines are pushing themselves to either babysit him or just have him keep up.

Hmm... it dawns on me that you could well use the Inquisitor with acolytes, and his Deathwatch kill-team, in paralel. More a cooperative effort than a "I point, you slay" kind of setup. Perhaps it's Ordo command who gives the orders? Would make room for two groups working on different aspects of the mission - intelligence gathering and spying on one hand, surgical strikes on the other.

Cant we just call the Blood Angles Vampires?