Hoping for some more obscure Chapters? (besides Blood Angels, ofcourse)

By The Laughing God, in Deathwatch

Ofcourse, now with the Dark Angels revealed all we are waiting for now is the Blood Angels. We need Blood Angels. There should be Blood Angels, it's mandatory to have Blood Angels.

Don't know how many chapters there will be to yield playable PCs, but once Blood Angels are revealed here's hoping for some more obscure and relatively unknown chapters such as Salamanders, White Scars, Imperial Fists, Black Templars.

How about you?

If I remember this correctly, there'll be a total of six chapters in the DW corebook, think it has been announced somewhere.

We now have Space Wolves, Ultramarines and Dark Angels confirmed. Following this (sadly predictable) trend I'm pretty much sure the next two chapters will be Blood Angels and possibly Black Templars.

As for the sixth ... I'm really hoping it'll be something less well known, an obscure chapter, some chapter not heard of since the original Rogue Trader era, or maybe something completely new, like a chapter designed by the writers of FFG themselves. There's always hoping ...

I am under the suspicion though, that all of the chapters presented in the corebook will be more or less 'major' ones. Then FFG might present to us a future sourcebook (after publishing the obligatory GM Kit for DW) with a set of more or less flexible game mechanics which might allow gamemasters and players to derive the successor chapters (or creations of their own maybe) from those presented in DW. Read, rules for Flesh Tearers might be derived from Blood Angels, White Consuls or Silver Skulls from the Ultramarines template, Black Templars from Imperial Fists, Guardians of the Covenant from Dark Angels, and so on ... you catch my drift.

Essentially it'd be something similar to what the Radicals Handbook did with the 'Tainted Blood of Malfi' to the Noble homeworld option, or with the 'Darkholder' to the Void Born option. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me. But let's see what FFG will come up with.

I think we are only going to get the most common 1st founding chapters in the core book, Blood Angels and Imperial Fists come to mind, BA's cus they just had a chapter codex come out and GW wants to push it to the masses and Imperial Fists since they are the basic marine chapter being used for the settings tabletop game and two ruleswise both crimson fists and black templars are the same. Only none first I see may happen is the Blood Ravens cus they are easily recognizable.

Did not someone say they found evidence that the Iron Hands will be one of the playable chapters?

I'm inclined to suspect Blood Angels and Black Templars (that hits all five 'codexed' chapters), with a sixth one being a wacky/odd/unknown picked by FFG for the purpose of both variety and something new/needed for the game.

I'd not be too surprised if they drew on, for example:
- The Mantis Warriors
- The Marines Errant
- The Mortifactors
- The Mentor Legion/Mentors

Now, some of you might as "why do all those suggestions begin with 'The M'?" The answer is this: I do not know, I'm scared.

Xisor said:

I'm inclined to suspect Blood Angels and Black Templars (that hits all five 'codexed' chapters), with a sixth one being a wacky/odd/unknown picked by FFG for the purpose of both variety and something new/needed for the game.

I'd not be too surprised if they drew on, for example:
- The Mantis Warriors
- The Marines Errant
- The Mortifactors
- The Mentor Legion/Mentors

Now, some of you might as "why do all those suggestions begin with 'The M'?" The answer is this: I do not know, I'm scared.

I still suspect the sixth chapter in Deathwatch to likely be the Hammers of Retribution ; the chapter Brother-sergeant Agamorr in PtU hails from. Though, with the Jericho Expanse being on the Eastern Fringe, maybe I'll get my wish and see Death Specters make it in. happy.gif I would be so very happy if that happened.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Imperial Fists, Ravenguard, Salamanders would be my wishes

Imperial Fists and Ravenguard and for some reason Blood Angels would be mine (I know they are cheesy), but Imperial Fists where always a favorite of mine.

Wilfred Owen: One of the reasons I suspect the inclusion of the Iron Hands chapter is that if you bring up the description on the Deathwatch site, scroll down the page until you come to 'Assault Marine' you come to a picture of an SM wielding a Power Axe with half his face rebuilt. Can also just make out that the left arm appears to be a bionic augmetic of some sort.

Looks similar to some of the artwork I've seen...though again could just be a DW Kill Team member who underwent some augmentation

I would like to see the Hammers of Retribution included in DW as the sixth chapter, but I think the FFG crew may aim to have six of the First Founders.

In our interview with Ross Watson and Sam Stewart last night at Dark Reign, we had it confirmed that, despite the belief of many, not all of the 6 Chapters presented would be First Founding Chapters. This leaves it open for (my educated guess) Black Templars (arguably more icnonic than the Imperial Fists) and the Hammers of Retribution (presented in Purge the Unclean).

I'm guessing Blood Angels, Black Templars, and everyones' favorite sons of Magnus the Blood Ravens.

I'll second Marines Errant and the Mentor Legion and toss in the Marines Malevolent as well.

Did we really need another of these threads?

Putting it very lightly:

So far all we've seen are the archetypes that are the most common for Astartes Chapters.

Dark Angels for the mysterious Chapter, Space Wolves for the feral, etc etc.

So that leaves a Chapter that's a bit more lenient with their members(Raven Guard immediately spring to mind, and would be a great choice given Imperial Armour 8+9) and a zealous Chapter ala the Black Templars.

After listening to him in a recent podcast interview, it seems that Ross tried to hint at the Mentors showing up. That'd be nice.

Why are the Blood Angels "cheesy"?

Rictus said:

Wilfred Owen: One of the reasons I suspect the inclusion of the Iron Hands chapter is that if you bring up the description on the Deathwatch site, scroll down the page until you come to 'Assault Marine' you come to a picture of an SM wielding a Power Axe with half his face rebuilt. Can also just make out that the left arm appears to be a bionic augmetic of some sort.

Looks similar to some of the artwork I've seen...though again could just be a DW Kill Team member who underwent some augmentation

I would like to see the Hammers of Retribution included in DW as the sixth chapter, but I think the FFG crew may aim to have six of the First Founders.

Many thanks for the information, Rictus.

Rictus said:

That Marine has a claw for his left arm but doesn'y have the Tech-Marine backpack. Also his right (or "real") hand is silver, which is a trade mark of the Iron Hands, like a red hand for a Crimson Fist. And little things like that you don't have to change in the Deathwatch even though you have to paint "all" your armor black. Also you can kind of make out his right shoulder pad the symbol for the Iron Hands. Not proof by a long shot but intresting to think about.

Actually...the right arm still looks pretty black to me. The lighting for the drawing though makes it appear a silvery gray.

However, if it is silver it's entirely possible that the right vambrace was painted silver as part of the allegiance to the Deathwatch since his left arm(traditionally painted silver for Deathwatch induction) is a bionic.

I am really hoping for the White Scars.

I don't know, the only reason that I wasn't disappointed that Blood Angels were one of the six to be included at launch is because one of our players will be playing a Flesh Tearer Apothecary, Flesh Tearers being a successor to the Blood Angels. So he has rules for his chapter ready to go. But I would have preferred a more interesting and less unsympathetic Chapter like the Salamanders, myself. Well, at least we get a pretty interesting looking new Chapter and the noble-yet-toally-badass Ultramarines for those of us that want to play members of mentally and genetically stable Chapters!

Azraiel said:

I don't know, the only reason that I wasn't disappointed that Blood Angels were one of the six to be included at launch is because one of our players will be playing a Flesh Tearer Apothecary, Flesh Tearers being a successor to the Blood Angels. So he has rules for his chapter ready to go. But I would have preferred a more interesting and less unsympathetic Chapter like the Salamanders, myself. Well, at least we get a pretty interesting looking new Chapter and the noble-yet-toally-badass Ultramarines for those of us that want to play members of mentally and genetically stable Chapters!

Yeah 2 out of 6 ain't bad...

/sarcasm

Oh I know, Atheosis, I know. But to be fair the Space Puppies are less Nordic and more Furry this edition, and they prefer not to gun down Imperials that get in their way, unlike Dark Angels and Blood Angels, so the Wolves are just a bit, well... Okay they're crazy bastards too, but they're sortof nice about it, arn't they? So, 2.5 out of 6 ain't bad? serio.gif

I do find the idea of a Flesh Tearer medic somewhat amusing though, I can imagine him being a little too enthusiastic about his work.

Apothecary: ARE YOU INJURED BROTHER?! *Looks at Brother Killdeath enthusiastically*

Brother Killdeath: Uhh... Ahh... No! No it's just a scratch! Really! Turn those Chainswords off for Throne's sake!

Azraiel said:

Oh I know, Atheosis, I know. But to be fair the Space Puppies are less Nordic and more Furry this edition, and they prefer not to gun down Imperials that get in their way, unlike Dark Angels and Blood Angels, so the Wolves are just a bit, well... Okay they're crazy bastards too, but they're sortof nice about it, arn't they? So, 2.5 out of 6 ain't bad? serio.gif

I do find the idea of a Flesh Tearer medic somewhat amusing though, I can imagine him being a little too enthusiastic about his work.

Apothecary: ARE YOU INJURED BROTHER?! *Looks at Brother Killdeath enthusiastically*

Brother Killdeath: Uhh... Ahh... No! No it's just a scratch! Really! Turn those Chainswords off for Throne's sake!

Lol.

And actually, I think they got the Wolves a lot more Nordic this go round. But...well, I've always liked the Nordic theme the wolves had going, its just (to me anyway) represented very well in this edition of their codex.

And cmon...a Flesh Tearer medic...totally awesome idea. I mean, he's probably seen the insides of more people and species than most, and I'm sure after a while he would kinda figure out which squishy bit should be attached to what...

Right?

Oh yeah, Flesh Tearers make great Medics, all that first-hand experience with anatomy and all that good stuff a Medic needs to know about like correct use of disinfectants and antiseptics, how to apply bandages during a firefight, how to tear a man's flesh from his bones, how to employ a Narthecium, you know, that kind of thing.

As for the Space Wolves, I don't have anything agaisnt them personally, except their beardy new Codex (although I understand the Blood Angels now have a comparably large helping of beard).

I've heard fanboys going on about Jaws of the World Wolf so many times that all I hear now is "Wolf of the Wolf Wolf is great!"

BrotherAtrox said:

Why are the Blood Angels "cheesy"?

If you've had an opportunity to look over the newly-released BA Codex, you'd understand.

Death Masks: make a Ld save at -2 or fight at WS 1

Librarian Dreadnaughts

Blood Talons: All successful Wounds caused grant additional attacks

Magna-Grapple: Dreadnaught weapon, R12" S8 pulls enemy vehicles towards the Dreadnaught, can cause Tank Shock

Flying Dreadnaughts of Cheddar