The Kraken!

By Lord Deimonos, in Rogue Trader

The arch-militant archetype starting gear says "One good craftsmanship primitive melee weapon of your choice with the mono upgrade". One of my player picked the Kraken Tooth knife, but it is extremly rare. Is this correct?

Its from the Inquisitors Handbook which is not a direct Rogue Trader sourcebook so you can always disallow it.

That said I don't see a reason too its a very week weapon not overpowered or so. As a GM I like it if peoples choose stuff for fluff like having an ineffective but cool kraken tooth weapon for status and RP thats cool.

I mean he could have wanted something from the Deathwatch book thats where I would have protested as GM.

The Arch-militant's rules don't restrict on rarity, so it's fine (allowing for it to be a different system, as @CyberianK notes)

Deathwatch would be kind of self-limiting; there is no such thing as 'good craftsmanship' for deathwatch items - they're 'exceptional craftsmanship' and 'master-crafted' to line up with the 40k term - so you can't take a 'good craftsmanship' version because they don't exist. Plus, most primitive weapons in deathwatch are astartes weapons and subject to the Mans Reach Exceeds His Grasp penalty for a non space marine trying to wield them (making them require and extra hand and whocking on a penalty to hit, if I remember right - might be confusing that with Black Crusade..)

Why not, it's RT. Lots of outlandish equipment is almost readily available. Besides, it's not like a "Kraken tooth" with Mono is as nasty as a Groxwhip. Or a Falchion (from RT Into the Storm) with Mono. Or a mono-machete (Bolo Knife from DH1 Inquisitor's Handbook - Rare, Common on Malfi; presumably there are variants widespread on other worlds with vegetation dense enough to require a machete).

It also sometimes counts as a charm. Still no big deal. But to take something so exotic and not tie it to the character's background (not necessarily even Origin Path points) just wouldn't make sense. ?

On 10/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, CyberianK said:

Its from the Inquisitors Handbook which is not a direct Rogue Trader sourcebook so you can always disallow it.

It's from Rogue Trader core. In IHB it's just Rare for some reason.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:56 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

The Arch-militant's rules don't restrict on rarity, so it's fine

Common sense, however, says it shouldn't be Unique written up stuff, restricted, etc.

Egarian Blade is also Extremely rare. Then again, it can shatter on any attack.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, TBeholder said:

It's from Rogue Trader core. In IHB it's just Rare for some reason.

Sorry I just used this not looked in the book:

http://www.40krpgtools.com/armoury/weapons/

lUiJGXe.png

On 10/18/2018 at 6:35 PM, CyberianK said:

Yeah, they omit most duplicates, even if stats differ. Try "40k Roleplay Armory" spreadsheets, they are more convenient anyway. The last one is v6.48.161023, AFAIK.