Reanimates builds

By Susanooo, in Runewars List Building

So last time iv3 played i wanted to test 12 tray reanimate block list and... i was dissapointed. Very dissapointed in fact. Maby vs daqan or uthuk it might work better, but for elves it did horrible. Ardus dead in second turn, unit blickted by black thorn assassin unit so they mayby attacked once or twice before whole unit was just wrecked and because it was soo heavy investment in ppints lrestbof the army couldnt handle the 6 tray archer block and 2 heroes. Also i dont want to still play the same deathcaller carrion combo so im loking for some other build ideas. I thought about 6 tray block with fallen hero with fortunas dice. Post your ideas.

This one has been pretty amazing for me, but only because the current rotation of tournament objectives do not have you chasing down tokens for points. It can really lay down some hurt!

200/200
Reanimates [64] 4x3
Ardus IxErebus [23]
Support Carrion Lancer [6]
Cursed Signets [2]
Triumphant Cry [3]
Lingering Dead [3]
Total Unit Cost: 101

Reanimate Archers [32] 2x2
Master-Crafted Weapons [4]
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 19

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Rank Discipline [4]

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Rank Discipline [4]
The key here is to have the archers in range of the Ardus block so the Reanimates can borrow Master-Crafted Weapons. The Carrion Lancers' main responsibility is screening for the Archers, and their second job is dealing blight. Only engage with them when other things are engaged, for example, flanking something that is fighting your Reanimates -OR- if they are blighting as they brace for impact to protect the archers. If they spend their time blighting small units while you're Reanimates tangle when their large unit(s), you've basically won the match.
The damage output from the Reanimates is high. It's very high. And if they can't kill their target or meaningfully decrease their threat, you can use a surge for blight instead of Master-Crafted Weapons. I haven't run the math, but you get 20 damage on almost half of your attacks - great for busting Spined Threshers. And with Cursed Signets, you never have to worry about being immobilized, stunned, or blighted. Oh, and make liberal use of the Reanimates' skill modifier to blight units beyond the one you're engaged with when you attack using your Support Carrion Lancer - ranged units hate that. Also, don't crowd your Reanimates because when they use Triumphant Cry, they really need room to reform so they can stay on target and keep laying down the hurt to make their large points investment worth it.
And no, Reanimate Archers can't use Master-Crafted Weapons, but it's 4 points on a unit that you're taking anyway, so not really a loss in my eyes.
And I'm not sure how it does against Latari, but I've had mixed results using 12-trays against them in the past - sometimes awesome, sometimes devastated. Elves are fast, but your speed-2 turning charge can catch them by surprise.
Edited by Parakitor

12 tray - 64

Triumphant Cry - 3

Cursed Signets - 2

Lingerng Dead - 3

Vorunthul the Cursed - 8

80. Add Champion of your preference. A big block that can’t be stopped by stuns or immobilize, is hard to cause larger panic tests on and resistant to the worst, regenerates an average of probably 9 figures over a game, and rolls in with red-red at threat 5.

12 tray - 64

Vorunthul the Cursed - 8

Raven Tabards - 2

Aggressive Drummer - 5

Moment of Inspiration - 5

Use the 4 wide and bank charge or wheel charge to smoke something and roll RRW or RWW at them for a swing.

29 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

This one has been pretty amazing for me, but only because the current rotation of tournament objectives do not have you chasing down tokens for points. It can really lay when some hurt!

200/200
Reanimates [64] 4x3
Ardus IxErebus [23]
Support Carrion Lancer [6]
Cursed Signets [2]
Triumphant Cry [3]
Lingering Dead [3]
Total Unit Cost: 101

Reanimate Archers [32] 2x2
Master-Crafted Weapons [4]
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Rank Discipline [4]

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Rank Discipline [4]

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Rank Discipline [4]
The key here is to have the archers in range of the Ardus block so the Reanimates can borrow Master-Crafted Weapons. The Carrion Lancers' main responsibility is screening for the Archers, and their second job is dealing blight. Only engage with them when other things are engaged, for example, flanking something that is fighting your Reanimates -OR- if that are coughing as they brace for impact to protect the archers. If that sounds their time blighting small units while you're Reanimates tangle when their large unit(s), you've basically win the match.
The damage output from the Reanimates is high. It's very high. And if that can't kill their target it meaningfully decrease their threat, you can use a surge for blight instead of Master-Crafted Weapons. I haven't run the math, but you get 20 damage on almost half of your attacks - great for busting Spined Threshers. And with Cursed Signets, you never have to worry about being immobilized, stunned, or blighted. Oh, and make liberal use of the Reanimates' skill modifier to blight units beyond the one you're engaged with when you attack using your Support Carrion Lancer - ranged units hate that. Also, don't crowd your Reanimates because when they use Triumphant Cry, they really need room to reform so they can stay on target and keep laying down the hurt to make their large points investment worth it.
And no, Reanimate Archers can't use Master-Crafted Weapons, but it's 4 points on a unit that you're taking anyway, so not really a loss in my eyes.
And I'm not sure how it does against Latari, but I've had mixed results using 12-trays against them in the past - sometimes awesome, sometimes devastated. Elves are fast, but your speed-2 turning charge can catch them by surprise.

how did your list played out vs shotty elves? cause my ardus was killed in turn 2 by ranged attacks and there was nothing i could do about it. i was looking for maby smaller skeleton squads so i have points for more units because in your list i feel if ardus dies, combo breaks adn ater skeletons are gone there is not much left for the enemy to fight.

@Warlordus I understand if you're looking for smaller units. In my squad, I try to prevent sniping by using late march + skill to blight the unit most likely to snipe Ardus. The Carrion Lancers also move up to blight, but they won't all be able to blight before the ranged units gets to shoot.

In one game, my Lancers had to blight my opponent's two units of Crossbowmen while Kari killed Ardus, but I still managed to use my Reanimates to good effect and pull out a win.

If you're facing sniper armies, this may not be the best squad. I designed it to fight pre-Kethra Uthuk. But I just thought I'd share it.

On the smaller end of things, a 3x2 with just blighted vexillum bearer is a totally solid fighting unit. Cheap, ok durability, swings for about six damage and sometimes spikes for nine.

13 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

On the smaller end of things, a 3x2 with just blighted vexillum bearer is a totally solid fighting unit. Cheap, ok durability, swings for about six damage and sometimes spikes for nine.

Of course, that upgrade is even easier to snipe out. But I agree, it's a solid unit.

In fact, I originally had Blighted Vexillum Bearer on my 12-tray, but a bad bane list made me switch to Cursed Signets, which is a shame. Blighted Vexillum Bearer wheels with the list better, but I need the "defensive tech" of Cursed Signets just to avoid getting locked down.

Locally, our Reanimates pair with Wraiths for maximum Morale Deck abuse:

3 x 2 Reanimates:
Unhallowed Wind
Terrifying Heraldry

2 x 2 Wraiths:
Faces of the Fallen
Unhallowed Wind
Terrifying Heraldry

It takes a turn to "turn on" on the panic but large units hate it. Use Unhallowed Wind before you charge to ensure they have a panic token and then the enemy will get a second panic token at the end of the round. Next turn, dial in your melee with morale icon action.

Before activating, use an inspiration token to refresh Unhallowed Wind, use Unhallowed Wind so that the enemy unit now has three panic tokens and swing. You are drawing four cards minimum, maybe five if you roll a morale icon on your dice and you can just go fishing for what ever you need.

Given the order of operations, if you had two inspiration tokens you could ready UW, use it and then ready it again for use after you have activated. Two turns of four morale cards is normally enough for Flee in Terror, Betrayal or Lose of Faith to show up.

What's better is if you have your Wraiths working close by for the double Unhallowed. The Wraiths dial in a morale and with FotF, they should be dealing three to four cards a turn also.

Between the two, it's not unreasonable to burn through your entire morale deck in a game. Also, as these are not figure upgrades they cannot be sniped out, which is a plus.

The major draw back however is the fact that they are Reanimates and so slow it's laughable and you are using Wraiths instead of something with more worth like Death Knights or Lord V.

If you're going up against a good amount of shooting, try the profane banner.

4 block of skeletons, + profane banner is 31 points. It should shave off a turn or two of shooting at the other targets.