The Four Corners of the World

By Reedstilt, in Talisman Home Brews

I'm finally moving off the main board and into the corner Regions. There won't be any specific themes, beyond the themes of the Regions themselves, unlike my expansions for the main board. I'm still in the early days of planning, so feel free to make suggestions.

To start out with though, I thought I'd show off one of the bigger changes happening in the Highland. The Eagle King isn't the only game in town anymore, and he has competition vying for control of the Eyrie:

8YIKs1z.png 3go8VFQ.png eKIkfu6.png QJlgkMC.png

When a character enters the Highland region or reaches the Eyrie, if there isn't a Champion currently at the Eyrie, one is drawn from the Champion deck (which may include a few additional Champions by the time I'm done). The Champion and its associated Relics are placed on the Eyrie. If a character defeats the Champion, they claim one of its Relics. If no Relics remain, they can take the Champion as a Trophy instead. Obviously, the Ice Queen is getting a new batch of Relics. I may end up changing the Draconic Lord and the Forge Master to give them proper Relic cards. I haven't done much with Relics yet, so it would be nice to make some more of those.

After a character encounters the Champion, they teleport away from Eyrie as normal.

I may do something similar in the Dungeon, but I've been treating Treasures differently from Relics, so I'd have to work out whether specific Treasures are tied to specific Champions like Relics will be, or if there's just a generic grab-bag of Treasures that all the Dungeon Champions would pull from.

I'm still in the Highlands for now, so today, I thought I'd show off some cards related to the various gemstones that can be found in the mountains. Credit to Bludgeon for the Gemstone Cavern, which I only made one slight adjustment to.

0JUQrQ3.png CooQ433.png pSERO8P.png OsfLit9.png 66JfmG4.png EHPRyAy.png

Time to take a quick look at the Woodlands and the new Court of Ill Omen, led by the deathless Raven King and his queen, that has moved in to challenge the fae. You'll escape the worst of their ire, and maybe even win their favor, if you are fateless or unbound.

3DIuxQl.png 0iLPzph.png K4st7YT.png 0lutLXh.png

All the corner regions will have some Warriors sprinkled around, though the Highland will have the most. For me, a "Warrior" Enemy is a human (or near-human) who relies on their physical prowess in battle without having the support of the kingdom of the Storm River (those within its authority would be Law Enemies) but necessarily aren't working against the kingdom's law and order (which would be covered by Outlaw Enemies). Right now, I'm planning on including some elvish Enemies in the Woodlands as well, which will also use these human subtypes (Warrior and Cultist mostly), but I have entertained the idea of making elves a type of Fae. Anyone have any thoughts on that matter? Should elves be a Fae or keep them as being more human?

Edited by Reedstilt

Time to take a look at the Dungeon! Here I'm borrowing a concept from Jon's Deep Realms (which Bludgeon also imported to the Dungeon), and filling this place up with traps. Honestly, I may have overdone it... I have around 15 different Traps on the roster. Here are a few of them:

8WvYma4.jpg 4Sahuik.jpg 9lVlQyZ.jpg vVmtuJi.jpg LofPIry.jpg AzJhB1q.jpg

I haven't done much work on the City just yet, but here's a peak. Once again, I'm planning on borrowing some ideas from Bludgeon since I like his Lost in the City expansion. None of these cards from from there, but one gets referenced:

EhSEd5d.jpg yEQn3lW.jpg SP8Qftq.jpg yjX86u1.jpg

There are also new things to be purchased in the various shops. The Stables probably getting the least amount of attention since I've got another project in the works that will add more there. As for the others, here are some of things the shopkeepers have recently got in stock:

u7FYte2.jpg likVyzI.jpg dvJaZuE.jpg BFDHdsy.jpg

For the Armoury and the Magic Emporium, since the new items aren't listed on the spaces, there will be a couple ways to get access to those. There are Events to upgrade the shops according. Not sure yet if I'll do that through a Denizen or a Terrain card (Bludgeon, I know you've tried both ways - any advice there?) You can loot some of these items from Enemies when you kill them. This extends beyond the city as well, as with the Crystal Dragon in the Highland.

Edited by Reedstilt

I tested probably every version possible. Denizens, while not without some flaws, work best for me.

My main concern with relying on Denizens is what to do when I'm not using the Cataclysm board. I suppose I can just house-rule that you can always visit a denizen on your space, even if the space's instructions don't necessarily tell you to do so.

Anyhow, here are some more City cards. I've said before that I like the Ratling cards added by Bludgeon's Lost in the City expansion, so I'm including some of my own. Not showing any of the enemies that are basically copied directly from Bludgeon, but there's there's related card here. And of course, I just noticed a typo in the Street Sweeper. I'll have to fix that later.

KKK1sKE.jpg Z3ROHJm.jpg EuxhBNY.jpg sMQqhNX.jpg

I love the sweeper :D

This whole project has become a jumbled mess, so I'm going to have to take some time to put it in proper order and figure out which cards I really want to include before I can get them printed. In the meantime, here's a new card for each region:

bC75cQn.jpg ScCou1A.jpg lg35uOm.jpg EdbQAeo.jpg

I've finally gotten around to making good progress on this, so part 1, the Highland, is on its way to Talisman Island now. The City should probably be ready next weekend, and hopefully the Woodland and Dungeon won't be too far behind that.

Since you will be able to see all the Highland cards soon enough, here are 2 for the City that I'd love to have someone else weigh in on. Not sure about the balancing on them.

4natMhU.jpg sWFU8OA.jpg

The City has been sent off to Talisman Island. The Woodland is next, but might be more than a week to finish that up.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, Reedstilt said:

The City has been sent off to Talisman Island. The Woodland is next, but might be more than a week to finish that up.

Not wanting to be picky, because you have done an awesome job, but you might want to re-check your Market Terrain card.

Thanks for pointing that out! I don't know how I missed it. Here's a corrected version:

OmCVzy8.jpg

Took a bit longer than expected with the Woodland, but I just sent it and the Dungeon off, along with a little bonus. Hopefully they'll be up on Talisman Island soon.

Excellent work Reedstilt! I am going through Dungeon right now. I'm in love with traps. I understand, because they are events, they still cause the flipping of the Time Card. Am I correct? Thematically it doesn't sound logical to be suddenly surprised by a day or night. Or maybe it could happen in the dungeons of Talisman 😁 . Anyhow I am not able to find any ruling about it in the Deep Realm Rules.

Where has the idea of new characters came from? Is there anywhere to be found a thing file for the 3D printer?

1 hour ago, player1592559 said:

Excellent work Reedstilt! I am going through Dungeon right now. I'm in love with traps. I understand, because they are events, they still cause the flipping of the Time Card. Am I correct? Thematically it doesn't sound logical to be suddenly surprised by a day or night. Or maybe it could happen in the dungeons of Talisman 😁 . Anyhow I am not able to find any ruling about it in the Deep Realm Rules.

The Trap Events would flip the Time Card like any other Event. It's just one of those weird abstractions of the game, and makes about as much sense as running into a Imp would cause the Day/Night cycle to flip.

1 hour ago, player1592559 said:

Where has the idea of new characters came from? Is there anywhere to be found a thing file for the 3D printer?

I mainly look at D&D, Pathfinder, and other RPG character art online and make a character based on whatever images catch my interest. There aren't any 3D printer models for them. In my own games, I use card standees instead. That's what the Character Marker is for in each of the sets.

Of course, since many of these characters are based on art from various RPGs some of them do actually have models out there if you're really looking form them.

Incidentally, I recently had it pointed out to me that there's a significant error in the Woodland set. I had forgotten about a rule regarding Fateless characters and fatebound effects. So for the purposes of these cards, Fateless characters do not trigger fatebound effects unless explicitly specified. Normally, they would use the lower fatebound effect, which is supposed to be the worse of the two options. But I didn't always write the cards with that in mind.