1st edition game with 2nd edition expansions

By Blahl, in Runebound

I purchased the 1st edition game from my job (i work at the salvation army and someone donated it and i bought it up) i didn't know about the different editions and i saw them when looking for the expansions. Now i want to purchase the expansions, but will i have to purchase the second edition? The second edition seems to be the same game, i guess with just different rules.

Blahl said:

I purchased the 1st edition game from my job (i work at the salvation army and someone donated it and i bought it up) i didn't know about the different editions and i saw them when looking for the expansions. Now i want to purchase the expansions, but will i have to purchase the second edition? The second edition seems to be the same game, i guess with just different rules.

I have the same question. I have the 1st edition of RB and my friends and I were thinking of buying some supplements for it but we want to be sure that the supplements are compatible with the first edition game. Anyone got the answer for this?

I'm affraid that 2nd edition expansions ARE NOT compatible with 1st edition. The biggest change in 2nd edition was the use of 2 d10 die instead of 1 d20, which changes the distribution of numbers rolled. This will make the statistics of the new cards out of wack if using the 1d20 (or will make the original cards out of wack if you switch to using 2d10). There are also some other changes in how leveling up works and the city locations are re-arranged, but all of those you could get around. Generally I would suggest springing for the 2nd edition base game if you're serious about getting expansions.

Second edition is played with 2d10 and 1st edition with 1d20, you should have to adjust numbers on most challenge cards (1st edition is much easier when playing with 2d10)

For example, Forsaken Vampire in 1st edition is 2 lives, 13/1, 10/2, 12/0 and on 2nd edition 3 lives, 15/1, 12/3, 13/0