Tales from the Madlands: V for Vorunthul

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Lord V is upon us, and today we'll see him in action for the first time in the area.

Battle is maelstrom with volatile (I feel like this happens often).

Terrain is the fissure and a rock.

Setup: I set my latari up in fortress mode, using runes and the fissure. Church spreads his 3 units out. Jc3AMde.jpg

Turn 1: My fortress deploys perfectly...if I were facing uthuk. The death knights march forward, unafraid of the oncoming hails of arrows which ping off their armor. Zk1uE8E.jpg

Lord V steps forth.

Turn 2: Lord V transforms and devours some darnati, the death knights make a fast march into the other darnati, as well as a rune and the fissure. XLvU2vH.jpg

The archers begin to slowly chew the deathknights up, 1 wound at a time. It's now that they realize that they cannot pierce lord Vs beast skin. Only a full powered fire rune can burn him.

Turn 3: The darnati and scion fall. Leaving behind a few desperate archers, who look to meagan to save the day. She kills 2 deathknights... Z2AoWXW.jpg

But wait, Alliana for the win!

Turn 4: The death knights actually have some trouble getting moving due to banes. The archers are losing their chance to shoot, as lord V pops out of existence and reappears on a flank. ygp0M8I.jpg

Alliana: "oh ****!"

Turn 5: Lord V goes 'poof' and flanks Alliana, finishing her in 1 blow.

xo2em8c.jpg

This is were I called it, church had initiative, so meagan was about to get wrecked. The archers couldn't hurt lord V due to protected (deepwood 2x1 max damage is 4).

JUpN6Ga.jpg

Afterthoughts: Lord V is the beast waiqar have wanted. He does heavy damage, and has a threat range better than Ravos in many ways. His instant transmission is really hard to prepare for, and very flexible when in the thick of things.

I have some concerns for his healing unique, but time will tell.

My unstable latari list is great for picking apart uthuk, but fails badly when facing 3 armor. Losing 1-2 damage per attack (4-8 damage attacks) means a lot of my points invested are not returning.

This battle was rough, but I can take comfort that I have a waiqar army to use this beast of a hero with. Time to dust of the dead.

Thanks for reading!

Those are stealth Death Knights. They are hiding their vampiric steeds and heavy armor under those rags. I swear!

I am not buying 2 more boxes of them. I am not buying 2 more boxes of them. I am not buying 2 more boxes of them...

On 9/23/2018 at 8:00 AM, Church14 said:

Those are stealth Death Knights. They are hiding their vampiric steeds and heavy armor under those rags. I swear!

I am not buying 2 more boxes of them. I am not buying 2 more boxes of them. I am not buying 2 more boxes of them...

But, come on, fielding a full 12 trays of DK feels pretty awesome.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:00 AM, Church14 said:

That was an epic flank on Alliana. So did you roll a surge-hit / double-hit to kill her then? Was LordV running Fortunas?

11 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

That was an epic flank on Alliana. So did you roll a surge-hit / double-hit to kill her then? Was LordV running Fortunas?

I removed the white, added a red, rolled two double hits, and had Lethal 2. I had expected to hurt her, then eat 1-2 wounds back when she attacks first next turn, then kill her.

1 hour ago, Aetheriac said:

But, come on, fielding a full 12 trays of DK feels pretty awesome.

It feels weirder than I would have thought.

They still end up being 75-point CavStars, but with 6 trays. It looks so fragile until you remember that they are 3/1 and cancel the first mortal strike. Then you watch Margath and Deathmist start killing mooks and realize this is actually a thing

4 minutes ago, Church14 said:

It feels weirder than I would have thought.

They still end up being 75-point CavStars, but with 6 trays. It looks so fragile until you remember that they are 3/1 and cancel the first mortal strike. Then you watch Margath and Deathmist start killing mooks and realize this is actually a thing

I'll admit that having 2 large cavs really reduces the number of individual units you can field.

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

I removed the white, added a red, rolled two double hits, and had Lethal 2. I had expected to hurt her, then eat 1-2 wounds back when she attacks first next turn, then kill her.

Curious: why remove the white?

44 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Curious: why remove the white?

Oh. It was the wrong call. Given all the details, keeping the white is the right answer. Basically, I was tired and not really thinking.

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

Oh. It was the wrong call. Given all the details, keeping the white is the right answer. Basically, I was tired and not really thinking.

I was hoping for a learning moment :) Definitely have been there! I think my biggest blunder (that I can recall -- it was awhile ago) was charging @tgall with a great flank charge and not actually dialing in the charge modifier.

3 hours ago, Church14 said:

37 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

I was hoping for a learning moment :) Definitely have been there! I think my biggest blunder (that I can recall -- it was awhile ago) was charging @tgall with a great flank charge and not actually dialing in the charge modifier.

You would try it only if you really, really needed to dig for either a double-hit or a morale symbol, or if surges, accuracy, and mortal strikes are all useless to you.

The white die has the same average number of hits per roll (6/8 for red, or 9/12 for white), but they do it by spreading out the number of single hits. Both dice have one double-hit icon, so if you really, really need that double-hit, you have better odds with the red (1/8 vs 1/12). Likewise, both dice have two morale symbols, so you get better odds digging for a morale on red (2/8 vs 2/12).