Lore

By Duciris, in KeyForge

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/21/spinning-tales/

It would appear that KeyForge will be getting fiction written in its setting. Inka the Spider will be our first guide to the happenings on the Crucible.

09.21.18 - The Archives of Inka the Spider

09.28.18 - Once Upon a Goblin

10.05.18 - A Strange Game

10.12.18 - Dextre's Price

10.30.18 - The Martian Legend

11.02.18 - The Gate of Hope

11.06.18 - Niffle, Niffle, Niffle

11.09.18 - What Hides in the Shadows?

Edited by Duciris
Updated to include newest

What they put up reads more like the prologue to an actual story than a short story in and of itself. But it does have make an interesting intro to the setting.

Still no release date though.

I think for giggles they should print the stories in madlibs fashion so no two stories are the same and the we can have a nice "stories are loot boxes" thread.

Will some body please, please for the love of all on Crucible, boff this boy on the back of the noggin' with a baguette. Make is a stale baguette for extra boff!! ? ?

original.gif

3 hours ago, Amanal said:

Will some body please, please for the love of all on Crucible, boff this boy on the back of the noggin' with a baguette. Make is a stale baguette for extra boff!! ? ?

He does have it coming after the whole flanking fiasco of 2018...

Can't help but think of Flying High. (AKA Airplane).

I kind of hope to see more. I've enjoyed the fiction they've released for other games. This wasn't much of a story but it was enjoyable. It would be nice to see a novella covering each faction.

This feels like they're trying too hard. A game like this doesn't need a deep, rich history and world to be interesting, and for me, it actually detracts.

46 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

This feels like they're trying too hard. A game like this doesn't need a deep, rich history and world to be interesting, and for me, it actually detracts.

Could be that this is their first game in a new IP, we might see their RPG system come out in a Crucible variant...or some other game. If that is the case the lore aspect makes sense when trying to tie them all together.

4 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

I think various people various likes and dislikes.

The game is supposed to be casual, and I think there is a perception that lore and the game design playing into it is deemed important to casual players. I am not too sure in my experiences that this isn't too far from true. So I think we could expect more lore than a purely competitive game.

The simple solution would be just to avoid, as much as you are able, articles and such on the lore.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:12 PM, twinstarbmc said:

Why do you think Wizards puts out all those MtG stories about exactly why the vampire conquistadors are fighting dinosaurs today? The lore clearly gets some people involved; more importantly, it gets enough people involved to offset the cost of making those stories in the first place, and FFG is a business same as them.

I can always enjoy a game without lore but lore makes a game better.

It makes things more interesting to have characters with a history going at it.

Once Upon a Goblin

And we have our first real read, giving us expatiations for what this series will be like.

I'm usually a big lore buff, but it seems weird to have lore for a casual card game. Maybe if they role out an RPG or adventure board game like Runebound or something like that, then it would make sense. But it seems a bit premature.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, rsdockery said:

Why do you think Wizards puts out all those MtG stories about exactly why the vampire conquistadors are fighting dinosaurs today? The lore clearly gets some people involved; more importantly, it gets enough people involved to offset the cost of making those stories in the first place, and FFG is a business same as them.

Honestly, I gave absolutely 0 effs about Magic's fiction. But I getcha, I getcha.

Lore anew, A Strange Game .

On 10/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Duciris said:

Lore anew, A Strange Game .

Alright, I take it back. That was a cool, short, fun little piece of fiction.

Updated OP to include all released fiction by date.

I think they just released some more lore.