Card Game Meets Elder?

By CEOWolf, in Arkham Horror

I know nothing of Arkham 2nd edition or 1st but I barely won Elderitch other day. So I get the feeling 3rd is a mix of Agenda/Objective Decks from LCG and Elderitch Horror cards?

2 hours ago, CEOWolf said:

I know nothing of Arkham 2nd edition or 1st but I barely won Elderitch other day. So I get the feeling 3rd is a mix of Agenda/Objective Decks from LCG and Elderitch Horror cards?

I think so too.... Nothing to do with the 2th one

The basic way a skill test is resolved comes from Eldritch, but a lot of other stuff looks completely new.

The loadouts are basically a super-simplified deckbuilding. Clue encounters are from Eldritch too. Definitely a lot of the new mechanics taken from Eldritch, over Arkham.

I played a demo at PAX west this year, and it definitely feels like the hybrid child of the LCG and Eldritch Horror.

From what I saw, it looks like a combination of

- Eldritch Horror (general rules system/framework);
- Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu (running around the board removing bad stuff before things go south, also the streamlining of the rules reducing time);
- Arkham Horror LCG (story/narrative elements).

Edited by Zsig

From the new article, what I thought was strange was that monsters now move and attack more like the card game. There appears to be no way to avoid taking damage if you are in harm's way. The only way is to kill them before the enemy phase (or move elsewhere). In the other boardgames combat would be 2-way and you would receive and deal damage during the same test.

It also looks like if you are engaged to multiple enemies, you may only need to perform 1 evade and you exhaust enemies equal to the number of successes. I wonder if you have to evade the hardest monster engaged with you (would make the most sense).

2 hours ago, Soakman said:

From the new article, what I thought was strange was that monsters now move and attack more like the card game. There appears to be no way to avoid taking damage if you are in harm's way. The only way is to kill them before the enemy phase (or move elsewhere). In the other boardgames combat would be 2-way and you would receive and deal damage during the same test.

It also looks like if you are engaged to multiple enemies, you may only need to perform 1 evade and you exhaust enemies equal to the number of successes. I wonder if you have to evade the hardest monster engaged with you (would make the most sense).

Yup, the monster attack, damage & evasion seems straight out of the LCG.

I had the exact same question about evasion.

I'm inferring that if you evade a monster, it is disengages with you and is placed in your space facedown (exhausted). Then, the monster move/attack step triggers all non-exhausted monsters, which flips them facedown in the process. Then, all of the monsters ready (flip faceup) - any monsters that can engage an investigator at their location do. Then, the monster phase ends.

• The Action Phase
  • The Monster Phase
  • The Encounter Phase
  • The Mythos Phase

If you Ward (action) and remove more than 1 doom, you gain a Remnant. It looks like you'll also gain any remnants on monsters that you kill. Remnants are used to do something with your spells:

The Encroaching Darkness :

Warding multiple doom with a single action also rewards you with a remnant—a piece of the otherworldly which you may use to fuel your own powerful spells.

Nightmares Made Flesh :

Finally, defeating a monster with the remnant symbol will net you one remnant token, which can be used to enhance your spells!

ahb01_card_event-approach-1-48.png

Just read through this card and noticed 3 things. First, this card 1/24. That's neat, EH features card numbers so that you can reference them individually. More interesting, this is an "Event Encounter (Approach of Azathoth)". So at least some of the location encounter cards are tied to specific scenarios.

The other thing I noticed is how similar each encounter on this card is to events in the Arkham Files novellas. All of these locations and characters have been featured in one or more of the books. If you want to know which books, they're in the following spoiler:

Edited by Duciris
Spoiler tag malfunction.

It seems similar to you because all the locations and the characters are always the same. Arkham ia always the same city: same roots, same uddress, same shops or restaurant same peoples! I love it!!!

yes, but the fact is the two novellas in question are about Azatoth. First one really about, the second about the creatures who are his minions in the game. In my mind really like the ennemy card. That take minor place in front of tokens, and really give an nice look to the artwork. Hope their will be a lot of ennemy card in this game. Otherwise, I have saw that their are instruction to create a monster deck by scenario. So this is a sort of encounter deck. But do you think we will have some ennemis who will not be part of this one but added to the board by codex card effect ?? Another thing is the fact we don't have "great old one card" but "scenario" so possibly at the end, if we haven't doing well, the ancient one will awaken and spawned at place, like the fights against them in the AHLCG.

16 hours ago, phorcys12 said:

yes, but the fact is the two novellas in question are about Azatoth. First one really about, the second about the creatures who are his minions in the game. In my mind really like the ennemy card. That take minor place in front of tokens, and really give an nice look to the artwork. Hope their will be a lot of ennemy card in this game. Otherwise, I have saw that their are instruction to create a monster deck by scenario. So this is a sort of encounter deck. But do you think we will have some ennemis who will not be part of this one but added to the board by codex card effect ?? Another thing is the fact we don't have "great old one card" but "scenario" so possibly at the end, if we haven't doing well, the ancient one will awaken and spawned at place, like the fights against them in the AHLCG.

ahb01_cardfan_approach-of-azathoth.png

The part we can't see is the game board setup. I would't be surprised to learn that the codex shows when/how the AO attacks. That said, Azathoth has been know to end the game when he appears.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/the-hottest-new-board-games-from-gen-con-2018/

I've just learned (from a photo in the link above) that clues are placed in the center of a neighborhood. That should allow the player to choose (by going to) the location within that neighborhood they wish to investigate.

Also, the monsters are mini card sized, so they can be on the locations without covering too much.

I supose you are right. What I would want to know is about expension. Because we just have 4 scenario in this big box, so that's not a lot. If the rythym of expension release is the same as Eldritch, I supose that's mean an outcome of 6 scenario a year ?? I would look to little expension pack, like the mythos pack of LCG, with one scenario sheet and his own ennemy, event and encounters. I want to look at minor ancient one like cthugga, or Cthylla,

And really waiting for looking at the dunwich and inssmouth map too ^^

21 hours ago, Duciris said:

ahb01_cardfan_approach-of-azathoth.png

The part we can't see is the game board setup. I would't be surprised to learn that the codex shows when/how the AO attacks. That said, Azathoth has been know to end the game when he appears.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/the-hottest-new-board-games-from-gen-con-2018/

I've just learned (from a photo in the link above) that clues are placed in the center of a neighborhood. That should allow the player to choose (by going to) the location within that neighborhood they wish to investigate.

Also, the monsters are mini card sized, so they can be on the locations without covering too much.

I can shed some light on this, clues go to the center of a neighborhood because the location card you have above is the "clue" card (each GOO has a set of clue cards, much like in EH). The codex has a mixture of cards with all different kinds of location backs, and when a clue is spawned the location is whatever neighborhood is on top of the codex. You take the card from the codex, mix it with the top two cards of the location deck in question, then replace them to the top of the location deck.

This means that investigators have to send three players to a neighborhood to guarantee a clue encounter in a given turn, otherwise you have a 1/3 chance. Multiple clues are shuffled the same way so if you were unlucky you could keep putting the two normal location cards on top and have two normal encounters followed by X clue encounters, where X is the number of clues in the neighborhood.

If a clue encounter is failed, the clue is re-mixed with the top three cards of the encounter deck in question. If the investigator succeed, they get the clue (as on the above card) and the card is returned to the codex.

The codex is also used to randomize where doom spawns, and where "gate bursts" (not sure on the term here) happen on the board. In those cases you draw from the bottom of the codex so players cannot see where the doom will spawn in advance. Doom goes to the location with the symbol next to it. (Hibbs in the above example).

Oh, and since it is mentioned earlier: Remnant is the replacement for monster trophies in this edition. So it's not something to do with spells (necessarily, there may be spells I didn't see in the demo that use it) but there are several locations on the board where the encounters allow you to spend remnant for cash/allies/etc. You only get a remnant for killing certain monsters though, in our game a Nightgaunt gave remnant while a cultist did not.