New Zealand Regionals

By Spidey NZ, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Last weekend, we had the New Zealand Regional Imperial Skirmish tournament.

we had 5 players and did a 3 round swiss format.

I had 3 games, 2 victories to one loss and came second overall, I was running a Leia, Han, Ahsoka, Jyn, Hera, Gideon, C3PO, heroic effort list.

the lists were a bit varied throughout.

Wookie warrior and obi wan list

Iggy and jabba, greedo, vinto, clawdite

Jabba and shyla, with weequays and greedo, vinto

Darth Vader and riots .

I fought against the vader list first, and from experience i kept away from the dark lord, and went round taking out deployments and controlling objectives. managed to whittle down the forces and take the victory.

Second match was against the Jabba ,Shyla List. it was on a coruscant map, with a controlling objective. Leia got one shot early on, and then han tried to take out greedo in one of the booths thematically , unfortunately my opponent knew how to postion and shoot han in the booth with out return fire. and he soon fell. the list crumbled soon after that. but Ahsokas hit and run tactics, managed to hold up against shyla and managed to kill vinto with a 'right back at ya' card. a took a loss in that match.

i dont like 'on the lam.'

Third match was against my friend who i got into the game, where shared my imperial assault sets and he was running Iggy and jabba. it was the rogue AI match with the moving objective. this map and mission worked in advantage of my fast movers, leia and jyn. they were whipping around the map, claiming nearly 4 points in a single activation, if they didnt attack. some good battles, and it was really close. 'on the lam' hurt me, and take initiative hurt him. potentially it was the game changer card.. a single card. though leia managed to do a an 8 ranged hit to kill a clawdite on a terminal. i managed to win that match by a few points.

we all came top 8 which is good.

it was a good little tournament, though the lack of players has forced us to stop investing in the kits. and any games or tournaments from here on out will be non-official.

Thanks for posting!

I played in that tournament too; it was great to get a chance to play as Imperial Assault has been pretty quiet around here of late. We did have a casual tournament here not too long ago. I brought a Vader list to that one and got hosed by the Wookiee list above, playing on Mos Eisley Stashed Away, so I was keen to bring a different list this time.

Lothal wasn't legal; it still hasn't reached general distribution here. I'm still waiting for a copy. Hence the lack of any shiny new figures.

Mine was the Jabba/Shyla list, specifically

* Shyla
* Jabba
* eQuays x2
* Vinto
* Greedo
* C-3PO
* Temporary Alliance

No Gideon or Black Market. I really wanted to play Shyla. Partially for something a bit unusual. Partially to deal with any Obi-Wan / Vader shenanigans to get them out of key choke points.

Game one I played the other Mercenary list. This was the Mos Eisley mission I had problems with last time but fortunately my opponent's list was no better setup to take advantage of it than mine was. Round two I activated all my Weequays with Squad Swarm to target IG-88, but my misplacement of Greedo at the end of the previous round meant the fourth one couldn't get line of sight (I only just drew the card so wasn't planning for it). So he survived. And then healed with Glory of the Kill to rub it in. Later in the round his Greedo shot my (wounded) Greedo, killing mine. My focused Greedo was then able to Parting Shot to take out IG-88, which seemed like a good trade. He got in a nasty Shoot the Messenger, discarding Assassinate and On the Lam to my frustration. We continued trading shots and I ended round three with 39 points. Round four he sniped a couple of Weequays to get to 33 before I killed his Clawdite for the win.

Game two, I played Spidey NZ on the Uscru map (Lost & Found). Leia was my priority target as she's squishy and I wanted to prevent her giving Han extra attacks. At the start of round two, a focused Greedo took a shot at Leia, while hidden from her in the booth. With the help of Element of Surprise and Assassinate he was able to take her out. Han marched up and got a one-shot onto Vinto, who pulled out On the Lam. I got my good cards early this game. Han went and hid in the booth opposite Greedo, where my Weequays were able to shoot from behind the middle door to avoid Return Fire and take him down. Ahsoka did good work flying in and out and nuking a wounded Vinto with Right Back at Ya but with Han and Leia both down I again got myself to 39 points at the end of round three and took out Hera in round four for the win.

Game three, I faced the Wookiee list on the Rogue AI map, which worked a lot better for me than all the "sit on points" missions. I moved Greedo up too far too early and he died first. Not a great start as he's great against melee figures. I took down a couple of wookiees. Obi-Wan was advancing on Jabba and some Weequays so Shyla whipped him out range, complete with Toxic Dart and Primary Target to land ten damage. A Weequay was able to finish him, complete with Price on their Heads and Celebration for 16 points. The Wookiees took down Jabba and I took down a few more Wookiees and sealed the win by finishing off Gideon. Neither of us got our good command cards this game. I never saw Assassinate or On the Lam, but didn't have to face Adrenaline or the other big hitters.

With only five of us, the nice dice were the participation prize so everyone came away with nice stuff.

Thanks for the reports and congrats to the both of you! This wookie list sounds interesting, what was in it? 2x rWookie warriors, Obi, support and loads of defence stuff?

I've been wanting to experiment with Wookie Warriors too. I feel like they can be good with my style of melee run and gun. I'm not a patient wait and see player! LOL.

Also, yes, On the Lam is one of the most annoying cards! I rank it up there with Son of Skywalker and Blaze of Glory!

Nice report by the way. Good to see that there was diversity in the lists.

9 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Also, yes, On the Lam is one of the most annoying cards! I rank it up there with Son of Skywalker and Blaze of Glory!

But you know what's satisfying as all heck? Rolling up on wounded Han with your Vader while you're holding a Parting Blow. Too bad SoS and IG-Bon-Jovi can close out your Vader well enough, so you don't want to pull that stunt on them.