My Hoth table

By TauntaunScout, in Terrain Building

Here we go. I have a big piece of white felt, 4 hills, a generator, and 2 or three little pre-fab buildings that I imagine are dropped from the bellies of ships. So here's a couple images cross-posted from my army threads to get this little journal started. The generator is made from cup lids, a piece of plywood, spackle, assorted glues and paints, and a pvc pipe elbow joint. The hills are just foam and spackle on plywood bases. I paint most of my snowy things blue then drybrush white. The buildings are plastic tubs. I painted them black then masked off doors/windows and sprayed them grey. Quick highlight, then, I painted blue anywhere I wanted ice buildup. Those blue patches were then drybrushed white.

gZIYyP0.jpg

Cf5M8kX.jpg

Looking nice Tauntaun!

On 9/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Thevshi said:

Looking nice Tauntaun!

Thanks. So far I have only shown old Hoth scenery dusted off again for Legion. I am still figuring out how I want to make the rest. Crashed vehicles is one option. Area terrain made of crystal growths is also on my mind. So are forests of ice-fungus for my wildlife to graze on.

Other ideas might include snow drifts, ice sheets/frozen lakes, caves (or cave entrances), and volcanic hot spots. If you need ideas, you might browse for images of Hoth from SW:TOR, the Old Republic-era MMORPG.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:52 PM, SFC Snuffy said:

Other ideas might include snow drifts, ice sheets/frozen lakes, caves (or cave entrances), and volcanic hot spots. If you need ideas, you might browse for images of Hoth from SW:TOR, the Old Republic-era MMORPG.

There's a lot of possibilities. I'm also considering a herd of 20 or so wild shaggy beasts. These would move around randomly, providing cover much like bushes, and you'd remove one for every hit stopped by the herd.

? ?

Nice work! The color scheme on the Speeder Bikes really pulls them into the rest of the group.

What are those wooly mammoth things on Tatooine called? Would they be at home on Hoth as well? ?

On 10/5/2018 at 7:56 PM, TauntaunScout said:

There's a lot of possibilities. I'm also considering a herd of 20 or so wild shaggy beasts. These would move around randomly, providing cover much like bushes, and you'd remove one for every hit stopped by the herd.

That's a cool idea!

3 hours ago, BenBot said:

What are those wooly mammoth things on Tatooine called? Would they be at home on Hoth as well? ?

Banthas. They might make more sense on an ice planet than on a desert one. ?

Edited by Sharkbelly
spelling

In the SW MMO, there are similar (but substantially larger) beasts on Hoth called " icetrompers ."

Looks good!

I keep waiting for a Wampa to jump out!

1 hour ago, Dark Don said:

I keep waiting for a Wampa to jump out!

Here ya go. I think the D20 wampa is the best fit for Legion minis.

B3bzvYw.jpg

But if you are an FFG purist:

91gj4VP.jpg

Or we can rock it back to 1982, before even my beloved WEG minis, which sadly had no wampas made for them:

tM69i3P.jpg

Great job. Really dig the Shield Generator. I also got a kick out of the Wampa "through the years" post. Nice to see the love for the old Kenner Micro Collection.

10 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

Nice to see the love for the old Kenner Micro Collection.

Wargames come and go but at the end of the day this whole enterprise is all about love for Kenner's Micro Collection.

They were probably my favorite toys and the whole reason I do miniature wargaming today. I managed to snag a few, lucky Micro toys from clearance shelves. In an effort to expand my collection of micro-sized Star Wars figures, at the age of 4 and with a little help from adults, I painted the Jabba's Palace diorama set. I still have some of those plastic alien figures somewhere, my first "miniatures" ever painted. Never having QUITE enough wee metal Star Wars figures to play with properly, having been born a couple years too late to fully indulge in that short lived toyline, turned Micro Collection into one of those unquenchable obsessions that only comes from frustrated childhood ambitions.

But one night as a child I found two boxed sets of D6 Star Wars miniatures in a store and thought Kenner had resurrected the long dead Micro line with boxes of extra little figures. This misconception was quickly cleared up by an adult, the Star Wars D6 RPG rulebook was acquired, and my social life has been hindered ever since.

I had some of those too--mostly the Hoth stuff. They were awesome sets. I don't know what happened to most of it, but Han in Carbonite still sits is my minis case with my Legion and WotC stuff.

13 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

I had some of those too--mostly the Hoth stuff. They were awesome sets. I don't know what happened to most of it, but Han in Carbonite still sits is my minis case with my Legion and WotC stuff.

He'd make a great objective marker!

True!