What will Wizards Do?

By RendTheHeavens, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

With Wizards taking the license back, any thoughts on what they plan on doing with it? They can't simply bring back their old game, so it's a safe bet they will apply a new property to the mechanics. I also have a suspicion it could be a digital only game in the vein of hearthstone. Any thoughts?

Seeing the success of Gwent from Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk being in production by CDPR, I would not be surprised if WOTC plans to release a digital version of Netrunner to go with the game. These things happening now seem to be too much of a coincidence, and it would make sense business-wise. But there was nothing announced hinting this so this is pure speculation.

On 9/14/2018 at 4:07 AM, Hellvlad said:

Seeing the success of Gwent from Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk being in production by CDPR, I would not be surprised if WOTC plans to release a digital version of Netrunner to go with the game. These things happening now seem to be too much of a coincidence, and it would make sense business-wise. But there was nothing announced hinting this so this is pure speculation.

One of the devs from Cyberpunk VG specifically disavowed having anything to do with the decision. Apparently some of the team were familiar with ANR.

I have to say, I think a video game version of Netrunner with graphics and sound effects could be *really* cool to watch and play. They could do all kinds of faux-hacker aesthetics.

I suspect they will do nothing but eliminate a MTG competitor.

Wizard has a horrid history of making card games not named Magic. Expect nothing to happen with netrunner.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:07 AM, Hellvlad said:

I am in no way claiming to be an expert, but what seems likely to me is that Wizards wants to keep their options open. If Cyberpunk comes back to life with CDPR's new game (which does look super dope), they might decide there is money to be made off that license. Maybe they'll bring back Cyberpunk 2020 as Cyberpunk 2077 as a tabletop RPG to take advantage of the video game's hype. Maybe they'll try Netrunner again for the same reason (plus it doesn't hurt that there are more Netrunner fans now than there ever were). If they renewed the lease, they wouldn't even have that option, would they? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do anything with the license, either. They just want the ball in their court. I don't think CDPR had anything to do with the decision, though.

I mean, they *used* to make a lot of games not named Magic.

Supporting non-Magic games, on the other hand... *that* they were terrible at. How many games came out that they only released the core set for and canned? Or one expansion? Or hideously bungled?

Yeah, lately they don't really do anything anymore. I actually kind of miss when they'd experiment more, especially since they've totally got the R&D dollars to do so.