Rebel Graffiti and Data Theft

By Fightwookies, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

I’m not sure how this interaction would work with Sabine and haven’t seen the question raised in another thread yet.

Scenario: your opponent has Rebel Graffiti in their discard pile, and you play Data Theft with a spy and select Rebel Graffiti as your card to play during the round “as though it was in your hand”. You choose to activate the ability at the end of your friendly Sabine’s activation and receive 2 VPs. Can Sabine then “re-draw” the card?

The main arguments I can come up with for either side are: 1) The card was never in your hand, so “re-draw” is invalid and you ignore it. 2) It says to play the card “as though it were in your hand”, so pretend it was in your hand when you played it and follow the ability to the resolution to allow Sabine to draw the card.

Rebel%20Graffiti.png

Data%20Theft.png

Makes totally sense! Negation on opponent's Rebel Graffiti and Data Theft to bring second Rebel Graffiti to your Sabine. This is genius!

Re-Draw

In a skirmish, some Command cards have ability text that allows a player to re-draw it. Re-draw abilities are active while the card is in the discard pile. When a player re-draws a Command card, he takes that card from his discard pile and places it in his hand. That card may be played again normally.

Added emphasis. It will most probably ruled that because the card is not in your discard pile, you cannot redraw it.

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

Re-Draw

In a skirmish, some Command cards have ability text that allows a player to re-draw it. Re-draw abilities are active while the card is in the discard pile. When a player re-draws a Command card, he takes that card from his discard pile and places it in his hand. That card may be played again normally.

Added emphasis. It will most probably ruled that because the card is not in your discard pile, you cannot redraw it.

What a bad news!

4 hours ago, a1bert said:

Re-Draw

BTW I'm getting mad looking for this rule on all the PDFs. Can you give me a pointer?

9 hours ago, a1bert said:

Added  emphasis. It will most probably ruled that bec  ause the card is not in your discard  pile, you cannot  redraw  it   .

But wouldn't the Data Theft'ed Rebel Graffiti card be discarded to your discard pile after playing it "as if it was in your hand?"

9 hours ago, Golan Trevize said:

BTW I'm getting mad looking for this rule on all the PDFs. Can you give me a pointer?

I don't remember which pdf I originally copied it from (probably from Sabine&Zeb pack, although it has been defined earlier as well). For a solution to "all the PDFs", see

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/168240/consolidated-star-wars-imperial-assault-rules (I'm now working on a 1.1 edit, combining the various campaign setups, and more skirmish stuff, combining 4p skirmish mode etc.)

Edited by a1bert
3 hours ago, wannabepudge said:

But wouldn't the Data Theft'ed Rebel Graffiti card be discarded to your discard pile after playing it "as if it was in your hand?"

It actually tells you to "play the card as if ...". The card has never moved from opponent's discard pile. Data Theft doesn't tell you to draw opponent's card and use it.

Edited by Golan Trevize
On 9/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, Golan Trevize said:

It actually tells you to "play the card as if ...". The card has never moved from opponent's discard pile. Data Theft doesn't tell you to draw opponent's card and use it.

Sure but "if" it was in my hand, it would then be in my discard pile right?

Not sure what the question is exactly.

You play Data Theft as-if it's Rebel Graffiti, so your Data Theft ends in your discard pile. When on the discard pile the Data Theft isn't a copy of Rebel Graffiti anymore. Re-Draw is only active when the card is in the discard pile.

Edited by a1bert

Right, right, I responded before fully thinking though the steps. I agree!