Thrawn and Strategize

By soontir67, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Strategize: At the start of your activation, look at the top Command card of each player's deck. You may discard one of those cards. So he can take a command card every round. Without spending an action, without a cost. Seems very powerful. How can I protect my rebels?

Pretty much just kill him. He is going to do what he is going to do if you don't. Then add in his command card and he can take two in a round.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:34 AM, soontir67 said:

Strategize: At the start of your activation, look at the top Command card of each player's deck. You may discard one of those cards. So he can take a command card every round. Without spending an action, without a cost. Seems very powerful. How can I protect my rebels?

Note that he's not reducing the total number of command cards you have available the way the Intel Leak and Strat Shift do. He's just manipulating the quality of the top card of your deck. One answer is to become less reliant on overpowered command cards like On the Lam, Assassinate and Son of Skywalker so getting them milled doesn't hurt as much. I don't mean to not include them, just learn what is needed to win without them. You could also include a card like Balance of the Force to increase the overall card quality in your deck so that your strong command cards are more evenly distributed and so even if they manage to nab a strong card off the top, you are still likely to draw other strong cards from your deck.

Killing Thrawn early on is going to be difficult, a smart opponent will keep him tucked in the back from where he can hand out power tokens from across the map until he's needed to help clean up in the late game.

Edited by Tvboy

Thrawn is exceptionally powerful and I Think he will alter the game significantly. Earlier without card draw you had approx just under 50% chance of drawing a specific card in a game, assuming four rounds. Now you have just over 20%, the cards you get in hand from the start. It is in my book 20+% as you can have a Power card on top and Another directly under it, but apart from that Thrawn will mill the Power. So you have to decide if you want to keep playing the 3 Point cards and risk them milled or if you want to balance the command deck.

Nasty indeed. :)

I will play Leia and get back my 3 point card. With Mak I try to snipe Thrawn when he is hiding beyond other figures.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Tvboy said:

One answer is to become less reliant on overpowered command cards like On the Lam, Assassinate and Son of Skywalker so getting them milled doesn't hurt as much. I don't mean to not include them, just learn what is needed to win without them. You could also include a card like Balance of the Force to increase the overall card quality in your deck so that your strong command cards are more evenly distributed and so even if they manage to nab a strong card off the top, you are still likely to draw other strong cards from your deck.

That suggestion is a little flawed isn't it?

I mean sure, learn how to use your list IF you don't have access to SoS or the others, but still include them. Chances are Thrawn isn't going to hit all of your big cards. Maybe one. Maybe two. But you'll still be happy you have the third in your deck?

Nevermind. I misread your comment. You pretty much said what I just said.

Nothing to see here. Move it along!

Edited by Majushi
14 hours ago, soontir67 said:

I will play Leia and get back my 3 point card. With Mak I try to snipe Thrawn when he is hiding beyond other figures.

I played a Leia with Motivation + Rangers and Sabine the other day. Was very fun and worked as intended, though it can still be argued if Leia is worth it ?

Thrawn's ability will definitely annoy opponents, but the craziest part is that he can do all of his tricks and still have 2 actions! LOVE IT! He can also hit like a truck or snipe from a distance with a good roll.

However, I have to agree that maybe people need to build with less reliance on their command decks. To me the command cards are just a bonus. But that's mainly because of my play style. I want to run and gun and have no care for the long game.