What's the point in to buy a Core Set?

By ringofox, in KeyForge

Beyond some tokens (that can be replaced VERY easily for EVEN BETTER components we have in our houses) and rulebooks (that we can find online, and also gonna be updated periodically) whats the point in to buy a Core Set?.

I would prefer to buy 4 different decks for the same price than only two! (remember theres two basic decks to learn the play in the core box).

Toughts?

Edited by ringofox

That's two basic decks, and two random.

The basic decks are reasonably decent decks, and not the usual pointless garbage that most games' learner decks are. I think, but won't swear to it, that they're all commons—which isn't a bad thing in this game, it just means that they don't have the more complex interactions that rarer cards do. They're good decks to hand to people for their first game, and, as said, not terrible decks to use after that, power-wise.

On the other hand, if you don't want the tokens, and prefer not to get the basic decks, go ahead and skip the starter. You're not going to be the only person doing that.

Of course im going ahead and skip the starter, and of course im not going to be the only person doing that. The thing is, au contraire to the others "core sets" of FFG, this one seems totally skyppable ;-).

As MtG, this game doesnt need official tokens, theres nothing that cannot be replaced for BETTER components, and also, why i need two basic decks? for one play? This basic decks are not allowed in competitive, so i see those useless... I dont want to convince anybody, just triying to understand this ?

It's a very decent entry point for the casual gamer who wants to try the game and can't be bothered to hunt down better tokens and/or just wants to play the game as is. You can probably get a lot of mileage out of the single starter box.

Just now, Palpster said:

It's a very decent entry point for the casual gamer who wants to try the game and can't be bothered to hunt down better tokens and/or just wants to play the game as is. You can probably get a lot of mileage out of the single starter box.

Fair enough, but what about this: you want to try the game? 9,95 dolars, open, and play. Why 40 bucks??

That's only if you know where to find the rules and have tokens available. Again, that's not the average casual customer that sees a new game on shelf and wants to give it a go

3 minutes ago, Palpster said:

That's only if you know where to find the rules and have tokens available. Again, that's not the average casual customer that sees a new game on shelf and wants to give it a go

Ok, but anybody is agree that this is, by far, the most useless core set in FFG competitive games history? cause thats the pooint of this thread

I think the point of this thread is to troll FFG by a poster has done little else but troll FFG (what 1 of your posts was not a moan about FFG and your last 6-7 are all on this same moan)

You might be more readable if you posted something constructive and not negative occassionally. Don't let the door bang you on the backside on your way out.

36 minutes ago, Matrim said:

I think the point of this thread is to troll FFG by a poster has done little else but troll FFG (what 1 of your posts was not a moan about FFG and your last 6-7 are all on this same moan)

You might be more readable if you posted something constructive and not negative occassionally. Don't let the door bang you on the backside on your way out.

What in my post was negative?? au contraire! IM VERY HAPPY TO DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A SINGLE, OR TWO, OR THREE CORE SETS!!! im really hyped by this game, and im working in to build a community around my friends!!

1 hour ago, ringofox said:

Ok, but anybody is agree that this is, by far, the most useless core set in FFG competitive games history? cause thats the pooint of this thread

On the contrary, this is probably the most useful core/starter box since I don't need to buy 2 or 3 and still have 4 playable decks.

All depends on how you look at it.

But I get that you're not interested in buying a starter box. That's fine.

Edited by Palpster
5 minutes ago, Palpster said:

On the contrary, this is probably the most useful core/starter box since I don't need to buy 2 or 3 and still have 4 playable decks.

All depends on how you look at it.

But I get that you're not interested in buying a starter box. That's fine.

Exactly, im very happy with this "USELESS" core set! also, i found very nice to have my own tokens, literally you can play with anything ?

My reason for getting the core is the tokens.

I already have some nice acrylic tokens for myself, but thinking ahead I'd like to also have some tokens to loan on event nights.

If someone is interested in joining an event they can get in for the price of a deck and borrow my extra tokens, I'd hate to turn someone away or tell them yeah you can play, just buy a starter for $40 so you have tokens. After that they can either buy the core set or get their own tokens if they decide they want to continue playing.

I mean, the point of buying the core set is to get the tokens and the learn-to-play decks (which, if simpler, may be worth having for some people for teaching new players the game). If those things aren't important to you, then no need to buy the core set (which is a nice change from most FFG card games).

From FFG's standpoint, the other good thing about the core set is that it has a little more visibility on a store shelf.

In general the tokens in the core set, set the standard, players become familiar with them and can quickly and accurately assess the game state as they see them. So your replacement tokens should be as clear in their shape and meaning as to ensure you aren't making it harder for your opponent to read the game. If you have to explain what the tokens mean or it isn't clear I'll push my supply into the middle of the table and we'll share. So while I can say I don't think the core set is a must purchase I'll pick one up just in case I need to.

Otherwise I hope that the box is sturdy enough as to store some of my odds and end in.

Personally, I'm getting a starter set so I can get the easier starter decks. I'm usually the one that teaches everyone how to play the games, so it'll be easier for me to do that with the simpler decks. Getting tokens and such is nice as well, even though I plan on finding some acrylic gems to replace the aember tokens.

The starter is $40 and gives me four decks, tokens, and physical copies of the rules. $40 worth of decks just gets me four decks. So I get a bit of extra by buying a starter. I don't think it is worth buying more than one starter since 2 of the decks are fixed.

I thought the same and then I decided that I will try to teach the game to my 8 year old daughter, so I ordered the core set as I assume that it will be easier to start with.

Edited by wirbowsky

you aren't getting 40 dollars worth of decks, you are getting twenty dollars worth of decks.

1 hour ago, HaasBioroid said:

you aren't getting 40 dollars worth of decks, you are getting twenty dollars worth of decks.

How so? 2 premade decks and 2 randomized decks. Decks are $10 each.

22 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

How so? 2 premade decks and 2 randomized decks. Decks are $10 each.

The starter decks are not real decks and do not hold the value of real decks.

4 hours ago, HaasBioroid said:

The starter decks are not real decks and do not hold the value of real decks.

lolwut?

2hgc0n.jpg

I mean, what are you not understanding about it. They are teaching decks, they aren't tournament legal and are only used to teach the game, which could easily be done with just a regular deck. They are not valued the same as a legal deck since they won't be used past teaching...which again, can be used with any deck. This game is really easy to learn.

1 hour ago, HaasBioroid said:

I mean, what are you not understanding about it. They are teaching decks, they aren't tournament legal and are only used to teach the game, which could easily be done with just a regular deck. They are not valued the same as a legal deck since they won't be used past teaching...which again, can be used with any deck. This game is really easy to learn.

Can you quote a source that has them not playable in any way out side of teaching?

18 hours ago, HaasBioroid said:

Plus 20$ worth of components, a box and not being required to go through the hazzle of finding components which probably are more expensive than 20$. Though i ha e to say,if the Box cant be used as a Storage for at least 10 decks then i might be reconsidering my plans to buy a starterset

On 9/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, HaasBioroid said:

I mean, what are you not understanding about it. They are teaching decks, they aren't tournament legal and are only used to teach the game  , which could easily be done with just a regular deck. They are not valued the same as a legal deck since they won't be used past teaching...which again, can be used with any deck. This game is really easy to learn.

What you mean to say is that they hold no value to YOU since you are apparently only interested in Organized Play. What you fail to see is that to the majority of consumers the starter decks are just as much a deck as the unique ones are. And therefore $40 for 4 decks and tokens will be perfectly reasonable to a lot of people.