Potential for new hero sculpts ?

By Viktus106, in Runewars Miniatures Game

I was wondering how FFG could keep the original units and heroes up to date with the later releases and it got me thinking. What if they released heroes with new sculpts and branded them as part of the escalating war ? It would be thematic that as the war went on, heroes would either grow in power or take on a more desperate outlook, getting more ruthless etc and then would also give an opportunity to address point concerns etc.

As an example, Ardus could have a new model, one where he doesn't have two hand axes, but this time a menacing marching pose with the Duskblade in tow. He would have amended point costs for both himself and the original Ardus infantry upgrade and could have a new ability. perhaps this one would be more selfish as Ardus starts to really come into his own and explores the power bestowed upon him.

Ravos could have new model, one that is now overflowing with power, more serrated spikes, the reaper blade now more demonic and perhaps they could get rid of that stupid smile.

Hawthorne could have half a broken blade but now has the Shield of Margath.

Kari would have an epic archer like pose.

Aliana perhaps one with her standing on her battle cat, ready to jump off at someone.

Maegan could have one whereby she is overflowing with magical power, hands and staff outstretched.

The main premise would just be a way of getting more unique cards for them, terrain punch boards, open up their play style and potentially drop card fixes or point cost adjustments in there without you feeling overly cheated or having to get the ol' magic marker out.

Ardus.

On.

A.

Skeletal (no meaty horses like death knights)

Horse.

With a dial that is the same except for a March at Ini 6, 7 or 8 so that he can move AFTER archer units have shot and others have made their late charge.

Yes. Ardus is not slow enough. :D

Passive gives one friendly Cav unit Regenerate: Stable.

Edited by Polda

The problem is that the sculpts are where a huge chunk of the design costs get sunk.

I'm definitely open to iterations of the same characters, and actually that might be a good way to sneakily buff those that under-perform. Ardus v2 could be a cavalry hero with a fairly different battlefield role, but you could include upgrades that are "Ardus only" that v1 could take. Effectively it's giving a whole new hero, with a bit of backwards compatibility.

Recycling characters as new units but with storyline continuity potential (and the design space where you can prevent a new character from being used with an old character by making them different versions of the same unique unit) is something Warmachine/Hordes does a lot of, and even Malifaux dipped into a little bit. It's not outrageous, and can be effective.

It's not even as bad as Xelto suggests -- yes, it's just as expensive as a creating a new unit... but that's just the thing; it IS a new unit, and can be treated exactly the same from everything but a fluff-writing perspective.

I wouldn't want to see an alternate sculpt with the same abilities as a way to push out an errata for the existing unit, though. That would feel like a wasted release slot and design/manufacturing overhead expenditure, by using up limited support resources without actually adding playable options to an army.

I'd be ok with this if it meant a new playstyle for an existing hero. It would bother me if they were simply errata style fixed heroes.

I like some of the ideas presented (mounted ardus, meagan casting lightening as a seige unit, yadda yadda), but, I'd really just rather have brand new heroes.

Although I do like the design space kaffis mentioned, having to choose which form of the hero you use.

The new dual form heroes (lord V and gorgebeast) may even be a hint of such a thing coming in the future.

I'd rather see completely different units with new mechanics. I think redoing a hero really limits the design space. If it these were prepaints like xwing I could see it, but new molds are $$$$.

If they wanted to do a limited cost upgrade I wonder if selling packs of new heads/weapons for existing minis would work? swap out your spears for swords, etc. Most of the pieces are pretty tight fit. It would kinda screw the people who glued and painted, but you'd reduce the mold costs.

As others have mentioned, I think releasing older heroes with new versions could work if it was done in between release "waves".

So you could have a new unit release for Waiqar PLUS a Cav Ardus box which includes Ardus on a horse with his axe and an infantry model with his axe and a shield. It would include Ardus unique upgrades for both v1 and v2 and a new dial specifically for when he is on his horse.

Perhaps Maro could be released with a Siege upgrade card, his model could be standing atop a maelstrom of power (violate forces?) and he comes with an artifact - The Staff of the Ever-Living - which allows him to choose ANY UNIT as the target of his necromancy.

Or maybe Maro riding a Barrow wyrm, whose base is a single tray the size of a 2 x 2. . introducing the first hero in the Legendary unit category.

Then you have a new Daqan and Latari unit release PLUS a Kari Wraithstalker box with a new mini + a Latari dial . . .

I think this would keep the game going. As much as I would like to see new units roll out, I also would like to see some life put back into those units that started the game.