A few rules questions

By machfalcon, in Legends of the Alliance

Finally got around to starting our first app campaign this weekend and we had a few questions come up:

• Move X to attack - rules state that the Imperial figures should move adjacent to the target but this seems unnecessary and often worse than just moving into range. How is this supposed to be played?
  • Surge priority - when an Imperial figure is attacking and has surge priority of Blast but only Imperial figures would be affected by the Blast, do they skip the surge ability? We assumed yes.
  • Burst Fire - one of the deployments had a bonus ability of Burst Fire where Rebel figures within 2 spaces of the target suffer one damage after the attack resolves. Two questions related to this ability: first, does the target suffer damage from Burst Fire since it is within 2 spaces of the target space? Second, if the target dodges, do all Rebel figures within 2 spaces of the target still suffer damage from Burst Fire?
  • Repositioning mobile figures - when a probe droid or another mobile figure is repositioning, does it reposition the number of spaces based on the way it moves or counting spaces? (example, blocking terrain diagonal from corner might make the figure actually 5 or 6 spaces from a rebel figure by counting spaces but the mobile figures could move into the space of a rebel figure with a smaller number of movement points).
  • Repositioning with Jax - if Jax (or other companions like the R5 astromech) is on the map, do Imperial figures try to move away from Jax when repositioning? For example, a Stormtrooper group might have Move 3 to reposition 3. After moving adjacent to Jax, do they then try to move 3 spaces away from Jax and other heroes? It seems like this causes the Imperial figures to move to much less optimal spaces (further away from the heroes).
  • Target priority - when the target priority is the last healthy hero, it seems like blocking the Imperials from being able to get LOS to that hero causes them to just give up and attempt to withdraw other heroes. Is this correct?

Also, we only played the first mission but on Hard it seemed like

The amount of threat worth of Imperial figures was over the top. Almost every round there was 10-15 threat worth of new figures deployed to the map. Maybe it's just that mission but it seemed to be too much for heroes with only starting abilities and weapons. Given that, we did still win the mission with one healthy hero remaining (one hero did get withdrawn) - although maybe we didn't play everything correctly based on my questions above.

Because of potential Reposition instruction, you can perform Move X to as fully as possible - or you may second-guess and attack from further away. But I have not found second-guessing to be very productive.

In the app Blast doesn't affect friendly figures.

A figure is within X spaces of itself, so Burst Fire affects the target as well.

Mobile reposition - hasn't come up in my plays. Use the spirit of the imperial rule?

Jax and R5 are rebel figures, so RAW reposition takes them into account.

Target Priority - if the specified target cannot be attacked, target the closest rebel instead.

Edited by a1bert

Btw, is this the actual 1st mission of the Flight of the Freedom Fighter campaign, or Get to the Ship (if you play tutorial, that's the next mission you get to)?

Get to the Ship is a delaying / survival mission, you get a lot of threat on the board towards the end whether Normal or Hard difficulty. Your goal is to survive.

(Or Trespass, the first mission of Jabba's Realm app campaign?)

There is no binary win/lose in this mission, just alternative endings.

• Burst Fire - one of the deployments had a bonus ability of Burst Fire where Rebel figures within 2 spaces of the target suffer one damage after the attack resolves. Two questions related to this ability: first, does the target suffer damage from Burst Fire since it is within 2 spaces of the target space? Second, if the target dodges, do all Rebel figures within 2 spaces of the target still suffer damage from Burst Fire?
    Compared to "Blast" - where a target figure itself is not affected and where the target figure has to suffer damage to be triggered - "Burst Fire" is affecting the target figure itself (as a1bert mentioned). Accordingly - that is my guess - the target doesn't have to suffer damage. So if the target rolls a doge, the attack misses. But after the attack resolves burst fire kicks in. Can somebody confirm. Btw. I believe this is not how I played it :)
  • Repositioning mobile figures - when a probe droid or another mobile figure is repositioning, does it reposition the number of spaces based on the way it moves or counting spaces? (example, blocking terrain diagonal from corner might make the figure actually 5 or 6 spaces from a rebel figure by counting spaces but the mobile figures could move into the space of a rebel figure with a smaller number of movement points).
    I would say that repositioning is only looking at the figure that is supposed to reposition. So if the probe droids reposition 3 spaces (over blocking terrain) that is fine even if rebels now need more than 3 spaces to catch up. To me the repositioning is something to bring the imperial figure into a position that it has a decent distance from possible attackers but also to have a decent distance to do the next activation.
  • Target priority - when the target priority is the last healthy hero, it seems like blocking the Imperials from being able to get LOS to that hero causes them to just give up and attempt to withdraw other heroes. Is this correct?
    I know exactly the situation that you are describing. I had such a situation in the final where you have a long alley and can play ping pong with the imperials if you make it clever. There are five missions in the first campaign and in 3 out of those you and your rebel friends have to exit the map via a specific point. So in most cases you cannot hide the last healthy figure. Eventually you have to get out and make your way to the exit point. Blocking line of sight with rebel figures only is hard to achieve I believe. So overall this will rarely happen and in such case you can always decide to still chase the healthy hero and to make it more difficult for you. I guess this rule can be applied in general: stick to the rules but if you like, make it harder for you. You can add dice, remove blocks or whatever. You can also skip the target priority order by chasing down your last healthy hero if you believe that otherwise it is to easy for you to win.
Edited by Whitebubble

Burst Fire is not Blast, Cleave, or a Condition keyword, so it doesn't require that the target suffered damage without an explicit requirement.

In Move X to Reposition Y , the X is movement points, Y is spaces away from the rebel figures, so by RAW it is using Counting Spaces, and the measurement cannot go through blocking terrain. However, once the figure is on blocking terrain, the measurement can go to the figure that is on blocking terrain (as long as the count doesn't go through any other blocking space). So if you don't try to find a space to move the figure to (exactly Y spaces from the most rebel figures and Y-1 if that fails etc.), but instead move the figure one space at a time to try to fulfill the distance Y from rebels as best as you can, the mobile figure could end up in blocking terrain, but would not go any further, and would still be targetable by the rebels

Also note that Reposition is not skipped even if the figure already is the correct number of spaces away. And if the figure is further away than Y, then it moves towards the rebel figures.

5 hours ago, a1bert said:

Btw, is this the actual 1st mission of the Flight of the Freedom Fighter campaign, or Get to the Ship (if you play tutorial, that's the next mission you get to)?

Get to the Ship is a delaying / survival mission, you get a lot of threat on the board towards the end whether Normal or Hard difficulty. Your goal is to survive.

(Or Trespass, the first mission of Jabba's Realm app campaign?)

There is no binary win/lose in this mission, just alternative endings.

We are playing the Flight of the Freedom Fighter campaign first.

I don't know how the "Move X to Attack" should be played but we always play it so that the figure moves as little as possible in order to maximize hit chance. So, for Stormtroopers this would mean attacking from range 3 since they attack with 1 green and 1 blue dice. That way, the Imperial units often stay farther away from the Rebels.