Star Wars:Hunters on the Rim

By Lotr_Nerd, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

On 9/12/2018 at 10:58 PM, Pyremius said:

I forgot about the turtle. :) It's slower then the Lancer but tankier - so encourages different strategies. Definitely a good option.

For Sil 4, I'd ambivalent between the Ghtroc 720 or the YT-2000; if you prefer the Ghtroc that's good enough reason for me to vote for it.

I did not look at any of the Sil 5 ships; I assumed they were avoided due to how much range that size covers, and to give us something to aim for if we wanted to make our ship a significant element in our operation. The PB-950 and HT-2200 might also be contenders at this size, although the Wayfarer is definitely the most interesting of the three.

The Gtroc is my go to starter ship for just about every campaign I've ever run (going all the way back 20+ years to the old WEG days). Its hefty enough to take a couple hits, and has room for improvement.

1 hour ago, Kabal said:

The Gtroc is my go to starter ship for just about every campaign I've ever run (going all the way back 20+ years to the old WEG days). Its hefty enough to take a couple hits, and has room for improvement.

I hear that a lot, but I don't have enough experience to be able to say anything similar. I'm happy with whatever we choose, and really, @oneeyedmatt87 can really vote on my behalf as the pilot. My only thought is that the more I hear the Ghtroc being the standard, the common, the go-to, makes me want to lean away from it and try something else.

However, I'd be just as happy if someone arbitrarily (not really since I think we've had a few opinions) at this point said, that's our ship, what's the next decision?

Well, if the love for the turtle is turning you off how about a slightly modified HWK-290/1000? Low on passenger space but very modifiable.

Or for that scouting love there is the E-8 Explorer or YKL-37R nova courier .

I guess it sort of comes down to what we want to do with the ship. Hauling cargo [yeah bounties shouldn't take that much space, even Hutts}? Small cargo courier? combat?

If I was going to pick one other than the Ghtroc that was smaller than Sil5, the Hwk-1000, E-9, or the Nova Courier would all be in the running but they do have less cargo space.

Edited by vandarl

Out of the ships mentioned so far, I would rank them:

1. Ghtroc/E9 (Tied) (Ghtroc has more cargo and armor, E9 has more weapons, I think is big enough for the crew and gives a boost to repair, might be more likely for a Bounty Hunting gang) We'll have to upgrade engines ASAP for either one though.

2. Lancer (Lancer is squishy but fast and well armed)

3. Nova Courier (I think it's ugly. I have no other reason for my dislike)

4. I don't think the HWK-290 could fit our crew and gear, let alone bounties. And if I were GM I'd definitely arch my eyebrow at any starting group of PCs wanting to start with a rarity 10 ship (HWK-1000)

Of course any ships would have to come with GM approval. Any input @Lotr_Nerd ?

Some interesting info here on the E-9 - apparently (almost?) every diagram we can find online is using the wrong dimensions. The original vision for the ship sounds interesting: 2 double-bunk rooms, 4 single-bunk rooms (optional use), a science lab, and a cargo hatch large enough for an 8m long cargo sled.

Speaking as a being not requiring a lot of bunk space... :D

15 hours ago, vandarl said:

I guess it sort of comes down to what we want to do with the ship. Hauling cargo [yeah bounties shouldn't take that much space, even Hutts}? Small cargo courier? combat?

A very good point. I think the idea should be a ship big enough for the party, the odd passenger, the occasional crate of goods (or cases of remains) but not true cargo, and a few cells for holding live bounties. I've always thought Slave I would be particularly tight for live bounties, but I also doubt that factored into either of the Fett's considerations.

I think the HWK series are a little tight for a party of our size, but I am only going off what is probably a cross-section of the 290.

With the Ghtroc looking like it's ranking pretty high and satisfying our needs, should we just go with that?

Honestly I'm ok with the Lancer, but I'm not too picky.

Should we just do a vote and go with that?

We might as well. Otherwise we may sit and dither over it quite a while. I vote for, [rolls a dice] the E-9!

1 hour ago, vandarl said:

We might as well. Otherwise we may sit and dither over it quite a while. I vote for, [rolls a dice] the E-9!

Seconded

I'll support the E-9, also.

E-9 sounds good to me.

I'll fly the E9, you can count that as my vote! It's settled then! Anything else we need before we get this show on the road?

I think that'd be it for us, we've got a ship idea and characters ready. Looking forward to starting!

I see Lotr_Nerd hasn't been on for a week. Hopefully nothing serious has happened.

Just checking in on this, still intending on going ahead?

@Lotr_Nerd

I hope so; I was just getting ready to ask what our next step is, myself.

Apologies guys I had a personal problem that took longer to sort out than I expected, if you are still keen to play I will post something in the next day or two.

Hopefully it was nothing too serious, and things are straightened back out.

I'd still love to play, as soon as you're ready.

Hope everything is OK now, real life hits hard sometimes.

As for me i'm still interested in giving it a try.

No problem on my end, still keen and hope everything is satisfactory.

Welcome back @Lotr_Nerd ! I hope all is well in the real world, I know how it can sneak up on you. I'm happy to pilot. I can add more backstory to Docratha, but it'll have to be after Tuesday (an exam is currently threatening my well-being). Ready to start the hunt!

@Lotr_Nerd Ready when you are!

I'm still in

Did this one move somewhere else, or did you all just stop? I was reading through some PbP as a spectator and this one sounded interesting.... then I get to page three and it's... ?