Wedding at Kyotei Castle (RPG at Gencon 2018)

By Oni no Pikachu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I have noticed that a L5R RPG session was made at Gencon this year, developing a plot during a a wedding uniting 2 prominent families of different Great Clans, from the Matsu and the Hida families. I have seen two of the pre-made characters, Kaito Natsuyuki and Utaku Azami. I would like to know more about the session, such as other pre-made characters, any photo of these characters, and so. May someone to share such info to public knowledge? Thanks in advance.

Kaito Natsuyuki.jfif

Utaku Azami.jfif

Edited by Oni no Pikachu
5 hours ago, Oni no Pikachu said:

I have noticed that a L5R RPG session was made at Gencon this year, developing a plot during a a wedding uniting 2 prominent families of different Great Clans, from the Matsu and the Hida families. I have seen two of the pre-made characters, Kaito Natsuyuki and Utaku Azami. I would like to know more about the session, such as other pre-made characters, any photo of these characters, and so. May someone to share such info to public knowledge? Thanks in advance.

Kaito Natsuyuki.jfif

Utaku Azami.jfif

Have you considered posting this in the RPG forum as well?

I participated in one of those sessions and can post what I have when I'm home later. Not sure where you got the info regarding the wedding, but those definitely aren't the families in question. Offhand I know it's a Crane, Phoenix, and Lion involved (things got complicated).

24 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

I participated in one of those sessions and can post what I have when I'm home later. Not sure where you got the info regarding the wedding, but those definitely aren't the families in question. Offhand I know it's a Crane, Phoenix, and Lion involved (things got complicated).

If I remember correctly, the very first scenario published for L5R (1E) was Murder at Kyotei Castle . As you say, that area is just a complicated mess of Phoenix, Lion and Crane.

5 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

The info regarding the wedding is taken from related Katrina Ostrander twit

and Gencon notice https://www.gencon.com/events/128888

Edited by Oni no Pikachu

Ah, okay...think it was just a misunderstanding, I don't think her second tweet was actually referring to the scenario, it was just referencing Hida and Matsu weddings in general.
Anyhow, here's my write up from how my session went. Just to note, my understanding is that the results of the sessions will be reviewed and used by FFG to determine a canon ending for the scenario, which will be reflected in some way in the RPG materials. Most probably this would include who is in control of Kyotei Castle, although they were also tracking who lived/died among key cast members as well.

The Wedding at Kyotei Castle.pdf

Some old friends here, and a couple of new ones - I've added notes to the Census.

Will this scenario be made available to those not at gencon ?

Will FFG publish this module? I would like to play it, or master it. I was not able to go to the Gen Con.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:12 AM, okuma said:

Will this scenario be made available to those not at gencon ?

6 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

Will FFG publish this module? I would like to play it, or master it. I was not able to go to the Gen Con.

I didn't think to ask, sorry...maybe someone else who played it happened to ask though? I think there's a decent chance that they will release it online at some point. Best thing I can recommend is to use the contact form here on the FFG site to request it, if they're getting a bunch of requests for the module it may help expedite having it made available.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:18 PM, Kaito Kikaze said:

Ah, okay...think it was just a misunderstanding, I don't think her second tweet was actually referring to the scenario, it was just referencing Hida and Matsu weddings in general.
Anyhow, here's my write up from how my session went. Just to note, my understanding is that the results of the sessions will be reviewed and used by FFG to determine a canon ending for the scenario, which will be reflected in some way in the RPG materials. Most probably this would include who is in control of Kyotei Castle, although they were also tracking who lived/died among key cast members as well.

The Wedding at Kyotei Castle.pdf

SPOILERS FOR THE MODULE :

So I was also attended one of the GenCon Wedding at Kyotei Castle sessions. Mine went slightly differently. At the dinner, no one figured out that Ide Torao was an impostor. However, we did end up getting Tsume Takashi's head of the guards to beef up the security of the meal before Akodo Maeda showed up at the hall. Also our unicorn player, Utaku Azami, challenged Ide Torao to singing contest in which they both made fools of themselves. However, this and the extra guards looks like it prevented the possible assassination attempt of Tsume Takashi.

Also of note is Yasuki Toru, played by our crab player, had a massive grudge against the crane and role played his character that way. This caused him to speak one on one with Tsume Takashi. Tsume Takashi asked him how a poem he was writing should end. One of the options was to had the main character do his duty and marry his betrothed bride who his did not love. The other was to ignore his duty and go on a journey with the actual person he loved. Yasuki Toru wanted to convince the Crane to pick the option which he felt was the worst for him. Thus he advised Tsume Takashi to go for the option with the one he loved and ignore duty. He rolled really well on this. Unknown to us at the time was that this was a really important moment. Also note that no one else in the party tried to talk to Tsume Takashi about this matter or convince him to choose a different option.

Our lion player decided to talk to Akodo Maeda privately after the meal. Akodo Maeda ended up giving our lion player the private audience due to them both being from the lion family. She then reveled her true idenity to him and he agreed to help her succeed in marrying Tsume Takashi. He also found out that Tsume Takashi used to use her frequently in a brothel that she was working at undercover. However, we found out that Tsume Takashi did not know her true lion heritage when he was using her services.

Regardless, the lion player convinced the group to support Akodo Maeda should the issue arise. We also found out from Shiba Itsuyo that Shiba Itsuyo was only marrying Tsume Takashi due to Tsume Takashi's father forcing the Phoenix into it via a peace deal.

When the wedding procession happened, we got caught in the ambush from Akodo Maeda and her ronin group. However, ours went differently. The group ended up ending the encounter diplomatically. The reason for the is because Yasuki Toru`s prior conversation with Tsume Takashi had convinced him to marry Akodo Maeda as she was the one he loved. This resulted in Shiba Itsuyo`s declaration that her and her guards would fight Akodo Maeda for her husband to marry her as they were still betrothed. We ended up going full diplomacy mode and we convinced her to let Tsume Takashi marry Akodo Maeda. We did this by advising her that it would be Tsume Takashi who would be dishonored by breaking his betrothal to her. We added that she would suffer no dishonor from Tsume Takashi`s actions. We also advised that her family really did not want her to marry him anyway as they were forced into the arrangement by a peace deal. We finally stated that Bayushi Hibiki (the Scorpion character I played and who she was cousins with) would help her to find a suitable partner that would not dishonor her like this. She ended up relenting and agreed to allow Tsume Takashi to dishonor himself and break his betrothal to her. Tsume Takashi did so, married Akodo Maeda, and thus the spirits were calmed.

Something to note:

Our GM of the session advised that we were the only group, that he had run the session for, that had manged to keep all of the NPCs alive. So that's a thing....

Hopefully this allowed people to get another perspective on the module.

Edited by Vulcan646
47 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

He also found out that Tsume Takashi used to use her frequently in a brothel that she was working at undercover. However, we found out that Tsume Takashi did not know her true lion heritage when he was using her services.

Highlighted for reference I would assume this was actually a geisha house rather than brothel.

22 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Highlighted for reference I would assume this was actually a geisha house rather than brothel.

Yes it was a geisha house.

Sorry about the error.

19 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

Yes it was a geisha house.

Sorry about the error.

Just wanted to make sure as they both still cause problems (Geisha are technically non-people which is why Samurai can relax around them) so her actually being the daughter of a Samurai lord would be very unusual, but I suppose could be hand waved away as her being in hiding.

Just now, Schmoozies said:

Just wanted to make sure as they both still cause problems (Geisha are technically non-people which is why Samurai can relax around them) so her actually being the daughter of a Samurai lord would be very unusual, but I suppose could be hand waved away as her being in hiding.

The GM explained that Akodo Maeda was in hiding at the geisha house.

This was also part of the reason that Tsume Takashi was so surprised when she showed up to the dinner.

When she showed up she notified everyone that she was actually a samurai from the lion family that used to own the castle.

Spoilers ahead for Murder at Kyotei Castle , which I realise is a 20+ year old module at this stage.

Intriguing. In Murder at Kyotei Castle , the last daughter of the Damasu was spirited away to a geisha house when she was a child and the rest of the family was killed by Tsume Retsu. She grows up as a geisha, but is also taught swordplay by a ronin (father's last loyal retainer). When she's older, Takashi falls in love with her, and he sometimes sneaks her into the castle, IIRC. During one of these visits, she murders Retsu, and that's where the PCs come in, trying to figure out what happened. The final showdown results in a fight no matter what the PCs try: "Are you treating me like a samurai? Fools, I'm a hinin!" or "Are you treating me like a hinin? Fools, I'm a samurai!"

3 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Spoilers ahead for Murder at Kyotei Castle , which I realise is a 20+ year old module at this stage.

Intriguing. In Murder at Kyotei Castle , the last daughter of the Damasu was spirited away to a geisha house when she was a child and the rest of the family was killed by Tsume Retsu. She grows up as a geisha, but is also taught swordplay by a ronin (father's last loyal retainer). When she's older, Takashi falls in love with her, and he sometimes sneaks her into the castle, IIRC. During one of these visits, she murders Retsu, and that's where the PCs come in, trying to figure out what happened. The final showdown results in a fight no matter what the PCs try: "Are you treating me like a samurai? Fools, I'm a hinin!" or "Are you treating me like a hinin? Fools, I'm a samurai!"

It's funny you mention that, because I believe the premise behind this module is that Retsu had recently died and was believed to have been murdered, although no culprit had been identified (far as I know). The wedding is shortly after to help cement Takashi in his new role as lord of the castle and broker a mutual defense/peace arrangement with Nikesake. With how similar the other details are, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it was possible to discover that Akodo Maeda was behind Retsu's murder in this lore as well.

From Katrina Ostrander's Tumblr;

“Murder at Kyotei Castle” from Honor’s Veil stands out for showing players how the Bushidō tenet of Righteousness can be at conflict with itself. Where it really shines, though, is in its multidimensional non-player characters who propel the story forward. It is suitable for several sessions of play, especially if the GM takes into account extra scenes that arise from the party’s backstories and goals. This scenario inspired me so much that I wrote a “sequel” to it for the fifth edition of the L5R RPG: the Gen Con module “Wedding at Kyotei Castle.”

Many thanks for sharing your summary/impressions. It would be nice if we players could have access to this module some day, even as a for-sale product or a supplement for a future product.

Still hope for a pdf version on the website or similar

12 minutes ago, ElSuave said:

Looks like we finally have this adventure module available to the public:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/18/love-and-death-at-kyotei-castle/

You can find the adventure, character sheets and handouts in pdf format under the L5R RPG product page under Player Resources.

The article also includes the canon result of the session, if I'm reading it correctly.

Although he always maintains an appreciative and lighthearted air, in his heart he longs to return to the Kitsune Forest, where he grew up among the Fox Clan. That wild streak is no more evident than in his gift—what some might call a curse—of being a shapeshifter.

MYSTERIOUS ESCAPE

Should Doji Kuzunobu be declared the target of an attack, he vanishes in a swirl of leaves and condescending laughter.

Okay....is this implying Doji Hotaru's husband is an actual Kitsune, not just a former member of the fox clan?

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Okay....is this implying Doji Hotaru's husband is an actual Kitsune, not just a former member of the fox clan?

*leans into mic* Yes, yes it is.

Have I missed this somewhere before? (If so, sorry)

That feels like a moderately significant thing, and something I'll definitely be interested to see given that he's getting what may be a meaningful storyline of his own after A Call For Diplomacy .

Edited by Magnus Grendel