Bloodspeakers? Iuchiban? Iuchiban's 4 swords? Genawa?

By HenrySpock, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Hello everyone (and those who are not here.)

I went back and started looking at character cards from the original sets (of the ccg) and reading the 1e core book. While I know the timeline is said to be reset, do we have a definite date? While I've seen a lot about "right before the Scorpion Coup", wasn't that a bit after the first ccg set editions? And that asked, where is Toturi, Genawa, Iuchiban, his swords, and bloodspeaking? I'm told Fu Leng and the Shadowlands are in place (and apparently Mantis and even Wasp are creeping in), but I haven't received all the lcg yet and I've not yet purchased 5e books. I've also heard directly conflicting reports on whether Shugenja are divinely connected or not.

Anyone who wants to wax nostalgic please feel free. Trying to learn about this world because I'm playing the LCG and look forward to rp'ing 5e.

:)

It's been established that we're in 1123 which is the same year as the Scorpion Clan Coup in the original timeline, though we're still some time before it.

Toturi's off leading the Lion, being Emerald Champion, and being happily married to Kaede.

I don't think Iuchiban or the Bloodswords have been mentioned yet, but maho is definitely still a thing.

2 hours ago, HenrySpock said:

I went back and started looking at character cards from the original sets (of the ccg) and reading the 1e core book. While I know the timeline is said to be reset, do we have a definite date? While I've seen a lot about "right before the Scorpion Coup", wasn't that a bit after the first ccg set editions? And that asked, where is Toturi, Genawa, Iuchiban, his swords, and bloodspeaking? I'm told Fu Leng and the Shadowlands are in place (and apparently Mantis and even Wasp are creeping in), but I haven't received all the lcg yet and I've not yet purchased 5e books. I've also heard directly conflicting reports on whether Shugenja are divinely connected or not.

Anyone who wants to wax nostalgic please feel free. Trying to learn about this world because I'm playing the LCG and look forward to rp'ing 5e.

:)

To add to what shineyorkboy said, according to FFG, until established otherwise we're to assume that history played out as it did in the original L5R setting - which would mean Iuchiban is still sealed in the Tomb of Iuchiban and has been for close to 400 years, making him somewhat irrelevant until someone digs him out of that rock mound again.

2 hours ago, Mangod said:

To add to what shineyorkboy said, according to FFG, until established otherwise we're to assume that history played out as it did in the original L5R setting - which would mean Iuchiban is still sealed in the Tomb of Iuchiban and has been for close to 400 years, making him somewhat irrelevant until someone digs him out of that rock mound again.

My knowledge of the lore is pretty loose. I know of him because I've been going back and reading through the original CCG sets and the 1E RPG rulebook (which mentioned more about Ginawa and Revenge specifically). Stuff sounded intriguing though so I was wondering if it was out there in the ether.

I can't let go of the idea that if they ever chose to really bring in the continent at large, make it China from their own warring states period and use 3 Kingdoms as a source. I want a Zhao Yun surrogate in this universe. :) I suppose that depends on what they choose to do with Burning Sands and all the various factions it afforded. But surely there's more than one country of Gaijin out there.

Edited by HenrySpock
10 hours ago, HenrySpock said:

On the Coup timeline.

In the original CCG the story began at the Clan War period and the Scorpion Clan Coup was an event mentioned in flavor and text and touched on to explain the status of the Scorpion as a playable faction that was not a great clan when they were released in the game. After the wrap of the Clan War arc they had a mini set (first test of their rolling Thunder Format where they released a potion of what would have been a normal expansion as three blocks a month instead of quarterly like they normally did with a full expansion) that was released for the Scorpion Clan Coup, that revisited that period of the timeline to flush out the events and more fully tell that story. After that mini set they started the next main arc (Hidden Emperor) and the story progressed as normal from there.

I'm becoming increasingly curious what the answer to not buying Burning Sands will be. The Unicorn had to go somewhere. :)

3 minutes ago, HenrySpock said:

I'm becoming increasingly curious what the answer to not buying Burning Sands will be. The Unicorn had to go somewhere. :)

It will just become a different (likely more Mongol Steppes and China themed) area rather than middle east.

Just now, Schmoozies said:

It will just become a different (likely more Mongol Steppes and China themed) area rather than middle east.

They could also go with something more in line with India given all the colonies art they likely inherited from AEG.

China would be perfect, they could simply use 3 Kingdoms as an added source.