Companion Rules Consistency

By TheAnarchyDice, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I am very confused about the way companions are supposed to work in Imperial Assault. In a broad sense, I understand what they are intended to do, however the RAW interpretation of things is beyond confusing, for me, when it comes to this: "A companion cannot interact and cannot use abilities on Class, Item, or Supply cards.".
I have seen that the discussion around this is mostly focused on the interpretation of "use", but the problem I have here is comparing the class decks of Jarrod Kelvin and Reactive Defenses to how a Junk Droid is supposed to function. The general consensus seems to be that a Junk Droid can not utilize the "Technical Support" special action, due to the aforementioned rule. What I understand from that interpretation, with the Junk Droid having the "Droid" tag and the "Card abilities can override the rules listed in this guide. Mission rules can override both card abilities and rules from this guide.", is that the Junk Droid has to have its speed increased by 1 (since it is an Imperial Figure and a droid, and the card overrules the RRG) and, in the same manner, it is forced to gain the special ability (behaving as if it is part of its card). With this interpretation, I don't see why the Junk Droid would not benefit fully from said card. However, I see how that can lead to infinite loops of arguments in the form of CLASS CARD gives BONUS, which overrides RRG, but RRG states that CLASS CARDS cannot be used by companions, so it shouldn't even be considered in the first place and I would be content with that explanation in the form of "It doesn't work because those bonuses would mean that the Junk Droid is using the card".

However things are not that simple. If we look at the Reactive Defenses "Shielded" card, we see that the companion gains the ability. The intent here is obvious - the card is meant for the companion to use, however, I feel like that alone is insufficient to exclude the Junk Droid from gaining the special action from "Technical Support" and here is the reason why: let's pretend that "Shielded" was meant for other units as well. It could have said "88-Z and Probe Droid gain:", as well as any other combination of units, or, if it was meant for any droids to use it, it could have stated "Imperial Droids gain:". What I mean to say is that the specificity is not RAW proof that the Junk Droid can not benefit from "Technical Support". The condition for a figure to benefit from "Shielded" is for it to be 88-Z and the condition for a figure to benefit from "Technical Support" is for it to be an Imperial Droid, which 88-Z and the Junk Droid fulfill respectively, so if 88-Z benefits from that card, then so should the other companion from his.

Now, another way of looking at it, which would bar the Junk Droid from using the special ability would be that, having the Junk Droid pay the cost of an action would mean it using the card. It is forced to gain the speed and the special action, which would not count as "using", but it would be "using" it, in order to spend an action and gain the benefit, which is not allowed. However, once again, Reactive Defenses proves problematic since "Shielded" uses the same wording. If we interpret it that way, it would mean that 88-Z would also simply gain the special action, but would be unable to actually use it, which is preposterous. It is clear beyond any doubt that 88-Z is meant to use the special action that the card provides him with, but that leaves me with no reconciliation other than saying "Well... since both Jarrod's cards and Reactive Defenses rely on companions, we can just make a special case for them", an option that I very much dislike as it is extremely muddy and confusing as to where we draw the line in the future.

As such, since both "Technical Support" and "Shielded" use the same wording of " Appropriate figures gain: Special action " and it is crystal clear the 88-Z is meant to use his special action, I can only reasonably conclude that the Junk Droid can also use "Technical Support" and, moreover, that the meaning of "use" from the rules governing companions does not encompass forced elements (meaning when a card states that a certain group of figures get modified in a certain way, with no option such as "may", it does not count as using, since it is not voluntary). Moreover, this would imply that the "gain" wording means that the specific aspect becomes part of the figure's description on its card and can, from then on, be utilized as an innate trait, unless external factors remove said effect or the figure is no longer qualified for the effect to be applied.

My biggest issue here is that it seems (from what I managed to find, at least), that the community at large would disagree with this ruling, and I am confused as to why. (As simply stating the rules for companions would lead to an argument about the meaning of "use", which, as I have previously discussed, is partially implied through the existence of Jarrod Kelvin and Reactive Defenses).

Please help me reach a reasonable conclusion here, as I'd love to have this matter settled for myself once and for all.

Junk Droid Companion.jpg

Technical_Support.jpg

88-Z.jpg

Shielded.jpg

3 hours ago, TheAnarchyDice said:

"A companion cannot interact and cannot use abilities on Class, Item, or Supply cards.". 

This has been changed to remove the "confusing parts" in FAQ 3.0.

• A companion cannot interact.

Why the removal of the restrictions:
- Companions don't have a play area, so they cannot gain supply cards, so they cannot use abilities on them anyway.
- Companions are not figures of their group, so they cannot use the group's attachments.
- Companions are expected to be affected by the class and item cards of the opposing side, like Snap Kick, or Hidden Blade.
- Most imperial class card effects are minor enough to not make imperial companions overpowered (because the effect then cannot be used on a different figure).
- Edit: A lot of the imperial class card effects were already possible because they were imperial player's abilities and just allowed to choose a companion for their effect. (In addition to abilities explicitly allowed for 88-Z.)
- Agenda cards have always been ok to be used on or by companions when they apply to a figure.

Does this help?

Edited by a1bert

So from the sounds of it, then, Techincal Support can in fact be used on a junk droid?

18 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

So from the sounds of it, then, Techincal Support can in fact be used on a junk droid?

Oh my.

Oh my, my my...

I might just have a reason to stack up some ugnaughts in a finale now, if that's the case...

Thank you a1bert. Your comment helped a lot. This was a huge issue of mine and I wasn't certain what the answer was. I'll go look at the latest errata for anything else I might have missed.

I'm sure Ugnaughts are going to be focused on (pun intended) by the rebels if you put that combo out there.

Good rebels are still hard to beat even with a few new great combos.

they are considered figures though? i was trying to quick draw with jyn on a companion (Salacious Crumb), and we had a butt heads about it

1 hour ago, Spidey NZ said:

they are considered figures though? i was trying to quick draw with jyn on a companion (Salacious Crumb), and we had a butt heads about it

They definitely are. The first line of the Companion section of rules (in all instances I’ve seen, including the FAQ) state that they are a “new kind of support figure.”

It even states that the follow “all the same rules for figures with the following exceptions” right before it goes into that long list of bullet points.

I'm sure the Ugnaughts will be focused if they become pretty much a redeployable C-3PO, however, with proper positioning, they might be able to waste a couple of actions, which is sometimes all that the Imperial player needs.

A companion also activates to perform its two actions, so it can be Quick Drawn.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:09 AM, a1bert said:

- Agenda cards have always been ok to be used on or by companions when they apply to a figure.

Does this help?

So I can put a Flamethrower Agenda card on 88-Z right?

Those playing campaign with me know better than to click on spoiler tags.

Edited by Tvboy

Companions are not groups, they are not even part of the group they are associated or activate with. (So not that agenda card.)

Edited by a1bert