Expanded Equipment for a Fantasy Setting

By aclarkbr90, in Your Settings

I have created an Expanded Equipment list that should work well for most Fantasy settings. The file includes tabs for weapons, armor, magical implements and equipment. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

I also use a d100 chart of Random Equipment that I allow my players to spend advantage on various checks as appropriate to roll on. Each column has a different cost (1 adv/3 adv/1 triumph/2 triumphs). Most of the items in the chart are from Terrinoth or the expanded equipment list, though a handful are particular to my current campaign (marked with *). If you roll one of those, either re-roll or make narrative reasons why it is a valuable thing to have.

Disclaimer: The expanded equipment list includes gear from Terrinoth, conversions from SWRPG and Dnd 5e, and some of my own creations. The terrinoth gear and conversions are not my own. I'm pretty sure that is allowed here, but I'm happy to remove anything that I shouldn't post publicly.

This is awesome, I've been looking for something like that! Thank you!

Do you ask for specific Perception or Vigilance rolls or players can spend the results anytime, also in combat to spot interesting things (perhaps carried by enemies)?

3 minutes ago, Skie said:

Do you ask for specific Perception or Vigilance rolls or players can spend the results anytime, also in combat to spot interesting things (perhaps carried by enemies)?

I don't usually plan opportunities for players to use it (though every now and then I do). Basically anytime a player really wants to search a room or environment that conceivably has interesting things, then they can use success to roll on it.

Alternatively, any time a player has advantage on a check that could conceivably lead to a find of some kind, they can spend their advantage on the chart. Really this could be loads of types of checks. For example, a negotiation check could lead to a seller throwing in something to sweeten the deal. A skulduggery check could lead to finding more than you expected in a coin purse. A magic check could result in some unintended conjuration or maybe the dispelling of a magic effect that was hiding said item.

Spending advantage this way has some nice encounter balancing as a side effect. Players are more likely to spend advantage on the chart (instead of boosts, strain, abilities, etc.) if they are feeling confident about the overall encounter, which then means that the subsequent checks in the encounter will be a little bit harder. If they are worried about a rampaging remorhazz devouring them, then they are instead going to spend their advantage to slow the creature or find escape routes.

I like it a lot! More narrative power to players is great, reminds me of 7th Sea 2ed (which I love)

You have gold pieces though - how do you convert them into RoT's silver?

1 platinum = 10 gold = 100 silver. My game takes place in the Forgotten Realms, so the lore and economy are based on DnD 5e.

It’s a great list, although being an Australian I want to point out a fallacy. Hunting Boomerangs don’t return to the thrower, ever, even if you miss.

It’s actually their ability to bring a kangaroo down or, kill an emu, with a single hit at 100m (330ft) that makes them so deadly, and popular. They are also apparently quite good at killing multiple birds in one strike if thrown into a flying flock. Their shape helps them fly straight over such a distance, their weight (average 2kg, 4.5lbs) makes them more a blunt force trauma weapon, like a club.

The returning boomerang was used for other purposes, although any hunting techniques are not easily corroborated, it’s possible they could be used to herd birds, or spook them from trees. But they are also used for entertainment, and competition.

Anyway, obviously don’t change them, it’s a cool popular belief even if it’s not true.

Edited by Richardbuxton

We finally started playing and had our first game yesterday. We used your table and a player spent a triumph and rolled Thunderbolt Armor! A great find and everyone was happy and excited. Random treasure is fun! But one question, since it's your homebrew item: how does the armour work? When a wearer attacks (I assume melee), they can spend two advantages to activate blast and other two for stun? Or is the blast stun damage? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

It’s a great list, although being an Australian I want to point out a fallacy. Hunting Boomerangs don’t return to the thrower, ever, even if you miss.

It’s actually their ability to bring a kangaroo down or, kill an emu, with a single hit at 100m (330ft) that makes them so deadly, and popular. They are also apparently quite good at killing multiple birds in one strike if thrown into a flying flock. Their shape helps them fly straight over such a distance, their weight (average 2kg, 4.5lbs) makes them more a blunt force trauma weapon, like a club.

The returning boomerang was used for other purposes, although any hunting techniques are not easily corroborated, it’s possible they could be used to herd birds, or spook them from trees. But they are also used for entertainment, and competition.

Anyway, obviously don’t change them, it’s a cool popular belief even if it’s not true.

That's actually some cool piece of trivia. Although, I doubt you'll be swaying any minds. The weaponized boomerang has become such an iconic tool, that the damage has long been done. Plus, I think having mundane items that have a returning quality is a pretty good addition to the fantasy setting in general.

11 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

That's actually some cool piece of trivia. Although, I doubt you'll be swaying any minds. The weaponized boomerang has become such an iconic tool, that the damage has long been done. Plus, I think having mundane items that have a returning quality is a pretty good addition to the fantasy setting in general.

Agreed

5 hours ago, Skie said:

We finally started playing and had our first game yesterday. We used your table and a player spent a triumph and rolled Thunderbolt Armor! A great find and everyone was happy and excited. Random treasure is fun! But one question, since it's your homebrew item: how does the armour work? When a wearer attacks (I assume melee), they can spend two advantages to activate blast and other two for stun? Or is the blast stun damage? Thanks!

Awesome!

Yes, my intention was that all melee attacks would automatically have the Blast 4 quality, which would require two advantage to activate. The blast damage is always stun damage (it can't be wounds), so no additional advantage is required for stun. Optionally, the GM might let a character activate this ability by spending two threat when an opponent attacks them (I would recommend excess damage equal to threat in that case, as normally you add successes to the blast quality).

Let me know how it plays, and feel free to let me know if it should be tweaked at all. It hasn't actually made it into my game yet.

7 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Thanks! I will make a mental note of the fallacy, though I can't wait for a PC to grab one of these anyways.

Sidenote: I am now stuck on the idea of an Australian outback one-shot, where the characters have to deal with marauding kangaroos and emus! I may have to incorporate that at some point. It would be particularly cool for a SWRPG quest with a Big Game Hunter PC.

Or pulp Cthulhu adventure! Cursed Kangaroos and Evil Emus!

Great work. This will greatly reduce prep for me. Thanks.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:01 PM, aclarkbr90 said:

Thanks! I will make a mental note of the fallacy, though I can't wait for a PC to grab one of these anyways.

Sidenote: I am now stuck on the idea of an Australian outback one-shot, where the characters have to deal with marauding kangaroos and emus! I may have to incorporate that at some point. It would be particularly cool for a SWRPG quest with a Big Game Hunter PC.

The dawn of rebellion book added stats for a vibrorang :)

Its a ranged (light) dam4, crit 2, range medium, limited ammo 1, pierce 2, vicious 1 if the attack is unsuccessful the user may spend 2 adv to have it safely return to his possession. You can also you it as a meele weapon, +2 damage, crit 2, range engaged, inaccurate 1,pierce 2, vicious 1.

Now much of these stats are due to the vibro in it. I guess it could translate as a Magic boomerang. Magicrang ? I want flamerangs with the blast and burn quality now. Gonna make a outback wizard.