Monster cards

By Attackmack, in Arkham Horror

In one of the articles it says that once a monster and investigator is engaged the monster card is flipped to "unveil its true horror" or something like that. This sounds very interesting but one thing that would be awesome is if the monster in completely unknown until its been engaged, youll never know what you will be facing (aside from conclusions based on the monster deck build). I really hope this is the case!

There is picture of monster in the top of the card, so you know what monster is there, like in tiles with old monsters.

How ever, you could use opaque sleeves to hide the monster or use some paper slip that covers the other side until you actually go to the location.

1 hour ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

There is picture of monster in the top of the card, so you know what monster is there, like in tiles with old monsters.

How ever, you could use opaque sleeves to hide the monster or use some paper slip that covers the other side until you actually go to the location.

Yeah that might be something to try out, like we sometimes do with gates keeping them facedown until someone goes through them :)

6 hours ago, Soulless said:

In one of the articles it says that once a monster and investigator is engaged the monster card is flipped to "unveil its true horror" or something like that. This sounds very interesting but one thing that would be awesome is if the monster in completely unknown until its been engaged, youll never know what you will be facing (aside from conclusions based on the monster deck build). I really hope this is the case!

That wouldn't be awesome in a strategic game where you need to decide who's gonna do what: expand the randomness in these games and effects can snowball to very unwanted results

8 hours ago, Julia said:

That wouldn't be awesome in a strategic game where you need to decide who's gonna do what: expand the randomness in these games and effects can snowball to very unwanted results

Send the luckiest player out to fight the monsters otherwise you get stuff like this:

Player: "Please be a cultist. Please be a cultist.Please be a cultist.Please be a cultist..." *draws* "A Shoggoth? Nooooo!"

Also If my investigator ever tracks down an unknown monster into a small shed, and the thing turns out to be a Dhole, then I quit this game! :)

Edited by Robin Graves

ahb01_cardfan_monsters1_v2.png

When monsters spawn, they will exhibit some sort of pattern to their movement. Once they engage with an investigator, their card is flipped and true terror is revealed.

My guess is, you will know what monster it is and how it moves, (you spot a furtive hooded figure. It seems to be headed towards the old Crowninshield place...) but you won't know it's stats or what it can do untill you get into combat.

16 hours ago, Soulless said:

The biggest problem with that is the monsters have movement rules, so you need to see at least one side when it comes out. I personally like the idea we know what the monster is, we just don't know its particular stats/abilities. I'm assuming this is going to be similar to flipping over condition cards in EH, where you had an idea of the severity of the effect, but not the details.

12 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

The biggest problem with that is the monsters have movement rules, so you need to see at least one side when it comes out. I personally like the idea we know what the monster is, we just don't know its particular stats/abilities. I'm assuming this is going to be similar to flipping over condition cards in EH, where you had an idea of the severity of the effect, but not the details.

And spawning rules, by the looks of it.

23 hours ago, Julia said:

Unpredictability is one of the things I enjoy most with games, and you would still know what investigator is best suited for monster hunting or not.

Seems as though AH3 might have a compromise as you do know what monster is present but possibly the duplicates have different effects/stats on their flipside at least offering some variety,

On 8/19/2018 at 6:49 PM, Robin Graves said:

Player: "Please be a cultist. Please be a cultist.Please be a cultist.Please be a cultist..." *draws* "A Shoggoth? Nooooo!"

My instincts told me the stranger was bad news. Maybe it was something in his eyes--or rather, his eye, or rather, his lack of eyes, or wait never mind it's back up to eyes again. It could have been something in his stance, like how he didn't really have a stance or even a discernible form in the first place. Perhaps I just didn't like his tone of voice when he ceaselessly trumpeted "TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!" or something. I only knew one thing for certain: This guy was trouble.

1 hour ago, rsdockery said:

My instincts told me the stranger was bad news. Maybe it was something in his eyes--or rather, his eye, or rather, his lack of eyes, or wait never mind it's back up to eyes again. It could have been something in his stance, like how he didn't really have a stance or even a discernible form in the first place. Perhaps I just didn't like his tone of voice when he ceaselessly trumpeted "TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!" or something. I only knew one thing for certain: This guy was trouble.

I was sent to Callifornia to investigate the coastal communities as part of the Insmouth case. If such horrors could happen on the East coast, they could possibly also happen here, on the West. While I was snooping around I met this darkly tanned surfer dude called "Gnarly" Hotep. He seemed like a real nice guy...

i love the new artwork.....

Some of that is recycled from the LCG. I see the Ghoul from the Depths, the Hunting Nightgaunt and probably a cultist of Umordhoth?

Edit: yeah. The Ritual Begins, for the cultist.

That said, the LCG does have really nice art, so why not reuse it.

Edited by Eldan985

I like the continuity the art creates.

when the game is set up, it tells you the monsters to use, so you will not bump into a ghost hunting deepones etc.