Magic attack - Lightning effect

By Vyzzini, in Rules Questions

I have two questions about the Lightning effect from the magic attack additional effects table (page 215):

1. Can I activate stun more than once on a single target ? As nothing is specified in the item quality description about triggering it multiple times, I'd say it's not possible.
  2. If you chose to roll one extra purple die to also gain the Auto-fire quality, obtain 1 success and 4 advantages on your roll, and chose to trigger stun (2 advantages) and add a second target thanks to the auto-fire quality (2 advantages), will the two targets suffer the strain?
    Here I'd say stun needs to be activated once for each target, just like for the Knockdown or Burn qualities, but again, nothing's specified in the stun quality description.

Thanks,
Vyzzini

Edited by Vyzzini

1. There is no dev answer. To allow it would be very powerful. I don't at my table.

2. You would need the req results to activate Stun on a second target or hit iust as you do a crit.

1. I feel like the Stun quality is like the Blast quality in that you only activate the property once, no matter how many advantages you get. Now, this is different than the Linked quality where you can "activate" it multiple times up to the value of Linked. I would think it would say it in the description if it can be activated multiple times and the activate once is the default, general rule on item qualities.

2. As 2P51 said, I believe you need to activate the special qualities of the attack separately on each attack.

If there isn't something in the rules specific to a situation, item quality, or what have you ... I normally think of the general rule in a particular case. And like I said for the Stun quality, the general rule is you activate a weapon quality once and the specific rule should be called out for it if you can multiple times.

Good questions!

Z

bonus question might seem dumb but is it ok to just activate the autofire quality ? could i spend 2 advantage to just deal a normal hit int+success or whatever to a second target ?

Yes, you can spend your advantages as you see fit (in that case, stun, extra target, extra maneuver, strain recovery...)

Edited by Vyzzini

Let’s say you use Attack with only Basic, Lightning, and Autofire, so a Hard Difficulty check. You roll the dice and get 1 Success and 2 Advantage, you have three options;

1. Hit, doing Intellect + 1 - Soak damage, and trigger Stun inflicting an additional amount of Strain damage equal to Knowledge.

2. Hit, doing Intellect + 1- Soak damage, then trigger Autofire to hit a second time either on the original target or a new target within range, doing Intellect + 1 - Soak damage.

3. Hit, doing Intellect + 1 - Soak damage, then spend the 2 Advantage on something else.