Make My Shopping List!

By DAEvo, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hello all! After falling in love with Warhammer: Invasion , we (mostly me) decided to go full-bore into both Invasion and Call of Cthulhu . I've been reading the forums for a few days trying to parse what I should and shouldn't buy considering the January announcement about the way expansions will be released.

We want to be able to build decks and have some fun with CoC. Q: What should I buy right now, what should I wait to purchase?

Multiple copies of the core is fine. We just want to avoid the game slow downs that came with having very few multiples in our decks. It is sometimes fun to play that way, but it would be nice to be more strategic in the deck construction.

Thanks!

No one knows when (or even if) the old APs will be reprinted to meet the new distribution model. When I messaged FFG about it, they replied saying it was "undecided," though they'd announce it immediately if ever they committed to changing the way the old packs are printed.

I'm just getting into CoC myself, so I too was hoping the reprints of the early Asylum Packs would be rejiggered to include the 60-card format. Even so, I've made a few purchases to expand my collection as I don't have the patience to sit around waiting for an announcement that might never come. Personally, I think it WILL come. Some day. But when ...? There's no way of knowing.

I currently have:

Core set (of course). I will be picking up a second very soon, and likely a third down the road.

I intend to pick up a copy of Arkham Secrets as soon as it releases. That's a safe bet. I'll be splitting a second box with a friend who also plays, to max out my multiples.

Also, I recently ordered:

Spawn of the Sleeper
Path to Y'ha-Nthlei
Twilight Horror
Journey to Unknown Kadath

The first and last APs in each series seem in include a number of key cards. I wasn't sure about purchasing Spawn of the Sleeper as it's currently slated for reprint; as are many of the early packs, from At the Mountain of Madness through to Antediluvian Dreams. Who knows? Maybe they'll hit the shelves in new format and I'll feel ripped off. I'm convinced it will happen eventually, but there's no guarantee it'll be soon. Beyond that, the only packs 100% confirmed to be 60-card are those in the the new Yuggoth Contract series (not yet released).

As I continue to collect, I'll likely stick with no more than one of each 40-card AP until FFG starts cranking them out in full triplicate. If you prefer to err on the side of caution, buy multiple Core Sets, grab Arkham Secrets when it releases and start snapping up the Yuggoth Contract in the very near future. Maybe you can avoid the old APs until FFG is able to draw up new contracts for new cycles.

I got 40+ plays out of my 1x Core Set, 1x Ancient Horrors AP. Since getting back to the game after a break, I'm now waiting for APs #7, #8, #9 #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #18 to arrive, hopefully will get them next week. Secrets of Arkham will also get bought once it comes out. For now, I'll be sticking to 1x purchases, second Core Set is tempting, but pass for now.

So, should I order a second or third core, or just make due with Asylum Packs?

It depends on whether you want to mix-max your decks to the fullest or if you just play casual. I'm in the latter camp and will try to make mono-faction decks that are competitive against each other from those cards I have. Since the Core Set has only 1x each, if you want the most options for deckbuilding, you're probably looking at 3x CS.

DAEvo said:

So, should I order a second or third core, or just make due with Asylum Packs?

It depends what cards you want/need and how serious you are about the game. Do you require core set cards in double or triplicate? Many players insist that multiple core sets are necessary for competitive deckbuilding, though I'm too new to CoC to comment on that. There's no indication that FFG intends to alter how the core set is distributed, so that shouldn't be a consideration. If you don't mind buying APs that adhere to the 40-card format, hit the deckbuilder and decide which cards will suit your potential deck(s) and go nuts. It you want to play it safe for awhile, wait for Secrets and Yuggoth and snap up a couple additional core sets. Bide your time, wait for the first round of reprints to roll off the boat. If they're 40-card, start snapping up old asylum packs with a clear conscience.

All of the above good advice. I think we'll just go with the core and whatever the FLGS has in stock. I think we can wait for reprints while we get a feel for the game.

Thanks!

Cool. Have fun!

Just to reiterate: There is no guarantee that the reprints will incorporate the new 60-card format. In fact, the majority of players consider it extremely unlikely, believing that future reprints will adhere to the 40-card model for quite some time to come. However, a voice from inside FFG has said that the issue is "undecided" (in an email response to me), so there is at least a glimmer of hope ...

I just got the game, and have managed to track down some out of print packs on the Internet. Of course I feel that they shouldn't change the number of cards in the reprints ;)

I'd love it if they sold a special pack of top-up cards for a combination of packs, though. One for AP5+6, one for each of the 6-pack series. That would make it enough cards to be worth it (and nicely fit existing box formats, by my calculations). But if reprints are simply reprints, that's fine. At least those who feel like getting duplicates will be able to fill their decks.

My purchases (in the mail) are the first four Dreamlands packs, Ancient Horrors and At the Mountains of Madness (score!), and I will be all over the bigger expansion once it's finally released. I plan to make it possible for two games at the same time within my gaming group, which will be possible with another stack of gaming cards and a bag of Cthulhu :)

Since tournaments are for kids, none of my gaming groups (there's work with its weekly games and old friends) are really interested in gathering vast amounts of cards, so we'll be playing with "one of each pack" as a primary rule. I would try to find whole series, though, as it gives you choice. I'd like to make ready-made piles of half-decks for quick and varied games, and let players pick any two. I can't even make a 50-card deck of two factions with the core box, so at least one pack is recommended.

To sum up: Buying more than one core set is for tournament junkies, in my opinion. And even then you might find enough in the Asylum Packs to build yourself some very nice decks anyway.

evilidler said:

At the Mountains of Madness (score!)

Ironically, the only AP I've given up on. Not because it's unavailable (though my FLGS doesn't have it in stock atm), but because of what it adds. In the General section there is a thread where I asked why the Cthulhu faction gets fewer cards than the other factions. AtMoM gives Cthulhu faction 3x Cave Mouth, a card I'm not enthusiastic about at all (to put it mildly), nothing more. Only faction I see getting worthwhile cards is Yog-Sothoth 6x characters. AtMoM is also the only AP with Polar stuff I think, meaning anything related to Polar keyword/subtype (whichever it is) gets diluted to the point of becoming meaningless if/when you add in more APs.

evilidler said:

To sum up: Buying more than one core set is for tournament junkies, in my opinion.

... and die hard completionists, like myself.

Wait. Tournaments are for kids ? When did we start playing Yu-Gi-Oh?? lengua.gif If you don't intend to play competitively, that's all well and good, but I'd hesitate to poo poo tourneys as childish to support your decision. Many of the high profile posters on this forum are tournament veterans who take pride in their accomplishments (not me, no ... I suck).

Congrats on finding a Mountains of Madness AP. I'd snap one up if I could find it for a reasonable price. I mean, who doesn't want at least one Sledge Dog deck? <<<rhetorical gran_risa.gif

Yep, tournaments here are too often held at inconvenient times for people with a job ;) (Not that I could possibly hope to find much organised play in my area, outside a yearly convention which also usually is at an inconvenient time!)

AtMoM: I bought it because any extra cards are better than none :) . I do have some ideas for pre-made decks to keep handy for quick play during lunch. I might be the only one ever buying this LCG there, with only a few Magic ex-addicts interested.

The store I ordered from is of course closed for Easter, so they're not updating stock. I'll post some details once I'm certain the deck is actually in transit, if they aren't sold out. It was £7.99, though. Your desperation may vary, but it's an acceptable price over here in Europe.

I'm also waiting for an Ancient Horrors pack from eBay (it was maybe three dollars more than RRP at Buy it now! price). Also a seller who might have more. Finally I'm waiting for half a shipment of Dreamlands packs to move from storage to shipping. I'm sort of a completionist myself, but one of each pack will do :)

I played when CoC was a CCG, so I have duplicates of a lot of the cards from the core set- specifically the main players of each faction. If i was just getting into the game, id go core set x2, and at least one of every AP. Then if I come across a card I absolutely love/need, I'll buy a 2nd/3rd AP. Once the new format comes out, this wont be a problem cause there will be 3 of all cards.

Buying Core set x2 is good for making extra decks to introduce new players to the game. You show them the game then direct them to a source for the short stories (online or at the bookstore). Constantly making the effort to bring in new players is important for the game to survive and grow. Because this isnt a CCG you dont have tons of commons to give to people to start them off, so a new approach is needed.

I did end up with an extra AP (wrong shipment, but the store is cool about it and all will we well soon), and the extra neutral cards are helpful. A few of the 1x cards for certain factions are also nice, but I find myself only keeping one of each unique character. There's always something else cool to put in the deck, anyway :)

I feel that I actually have too many Miskatonic and Shub cards by now, though. Barely room for a couple of neutrals!