Kaffis' Painting Motivation Thread

By kaffis, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Hey, all. So after getting a few compliments at GenCon (and thanks, all, those felt good! It was great seeing all the love and care going into peoples' armies from all over! No, seriously, I was impressed with how much paint was on models, compared to my old days of yore playing 40k locally), and in celebration of achieving my goal -- no raw primer on models -- in time for the tournament deadline, I figured I'd make a thread here to collect validation help keep me accountable and motivate me to keep up as we're looking at new units on the horizon! Well, too late for on the horizon, I guess, I've got a big block of primed Darnati to get cracking on, now.

So here's what I brought to GenCon...

SaNudRJB3RSPreFSuMgIp7fj7Sg4kGRi-yhO95E_

maSczGYSIo4f8r-QtZjKYNpw_u2MMp84WXW92v6k

aQgRysXzNjHC0tbkyHHQK6if6lqCsi_SsQDTwclZ

And here's the close-up highlight of my best units

NFibVtJIZotz7JzdlOxzVofWnS5_EgFfWsVXzLRS

Love those leopard spots on the Leonx!

Is the grey Scion new? I don't remember seeing it in your armies before.

Oh, might as well throw this up here: roughly blocking in a couple Darnati as color tests. Not entirely sure which I want to go with, yet, feedback welcome. My idea is that while the Deepwood Archers and Leonx Riders adopt the colors of the lands they travel to/through as camouflage, the Darnati monks have no need for stealth and proudly bear colors that remind them of their rocky highland home and its quarry industry. (This is pulling info about the Darnati Highlands from the Realms of Terrinoth Sourcebook) I wanted to go with stony colors, then, to reflect both the moonstone trade (I think when I get to highlighting the details on the leather, I'll pick the Darnati's ornamentation out in a pearlescent white if I can) and their hard discipline. One of the reasons I'm asking for advice is that I'm a smidge color-blind -- just enough to fail one of the tests out of the standard battery of ten and have to squint at one or two others to make them out -- so I don't always trust my own read on shades. I'm most worried about contrast between the cloth and the lots of bare-chested skin on the Darnati, as well as an unpleasant mix of cool and warm tones as I carry over the leather color I've used for the rest of my army's rank-and-file.

First four options (I don't think I like the blue-black, and the grey seemed flat. The creamy beige on the far left is the one I'm really concerned about contrasting with skin on):

j-Lm-BEwLBAcXpU8W0PqFfUwnpdswDHhotJr6i2z

A better look in natural light, and with samples from my two units of archers for comparison:

59g3FGpmETV_MzMBEdXexDFVoJ8RGvagpeyzhpGs

Dropped the grey and black, replaced with a khaki and goldenrod. Didn't like the goldenrod right away, khaki shows promise:

JwsCjCRRVSdnjwSaAHD-9i60jwoIyyN5CccvgxJF

Mixed the grey a bit lighter, I like its depth and brightness better, now. Also tried mixing a little green in with the grey, and it's not half bad:

PjmtEwN_r4rafKr8_BgFBXE_ZE9YdjA1jEvcKuZL

8 minutes ago, Xelto said:

Is the grey Scion new? I don't remember seeing it in your armies before.

Lol. The grey Scion was the first model I finished painting, like back in January. :D I'm positive I've played you with it. It is probably my absolute favorite thing, even better than Wildcall's striping and my black leopard spots. I was inspired to make a grey Scion for two reasons: I grew up in the northeast, so birch trees (and the sycamore in my backyard as a kid) are just a part of a good forest, to me. And then also, the elves of Lothlorien were a bit of an inspiration for the golden autumn look I'm cultivating.

Edited by kaffis
7 minutes ago, kaffis said:

Lol. The grey Scion was the first model I finished painting, like back in January. :D I'm positive I've played you with it. It is probably my absolute favorite thing, even better than Wildcall's striping and my black leopard spots. I was inspired to make a grey Scion for two reasons: I grew up in the northeast, so birch trees (and the sycamore in my backyard as a kid) are just a part of a good forest, to me. And then also, the elves of Lothlorien were a bit of an inspiration for the golden autumn look I'm cultivating.

Now that I think about it, I remember the red mushrooms. I wonder why the rest of it didn't make as...

actually, I suspect it was part of your archer block. I would have been paying more attention to the solo scions, which is why I would remember them more.

And yeah, if I thought I had the talents to pull off a real sycamore pattern, I would give it a go. That is, unfortunately, beyond me, especially given the tangled appearance of the scions. I think my next one might be osage-inspired, though the orange coloration will sweep up further than the roots, probably trailing up the vine-like parts of the scions.