Will there be new investigators?

By cheapmate, in Arkham Horror

I liked the fact that MoM2E came with some brand new investigators and wouldn’t mind seeing it repeated for this AH.

I know there are more than enough investigators at the moment, for several expansions to come, but new faces are exciting. Or perhaps FFG could promote an ally from one of the other games to investigator in AH.

Probably.

It implies in the description that there will be a couple brand new investigators in the core box. Not strongly enough that I'm willing to guarantee it, but the implication is there.

There should be 12 investigators total and 7 were already shown in the articles, so that would leave 5 potential new investigators. While I don’t expect that many, I hope for a couple at least.

It also introduces you to two of the game's newest investigators with two full-length short stories that invite you to confront the madness of Arkham through their eyes!

I only hope the above quote doesn’t refer to Danielle and Calvin.

12 hours ago, cheapmate said:

There should be 12 investigators total and 7 were already shown in the articles, so that would leave 5 potential new investigators. While I don’t expect that many, I hope for a couple at least.

It's almost certainly 2 of the 3 of Daniela, Calvin, and Sefina. So, at least one of them is going to piss off the "ewwww... gay stuff!" crowd.

16 hours ago, cheapmate said:

It also introduces you to two of the game's newest investigators with two full-length short stories that invite you to confront the madness of Arkham through their eyes!

I'm convinced that is referring to Danielle and Calvin, as they (along with Sefina) weren't featured in The Investigators of Arkham Horror tome. There are also the 4 debuted in MoM2 (Agatha Crane, Carson Sinclair, Father Mateo, & Preston Fairmont), although they were featured in IoAH. None of those 7 (unless you count first edition Calvin who was a promo) have appeared in Arkham Horror proper.

I only count 6 revealed (Agnes, Calvin, Daniela, Jenny, Tommy, & Wendy), whom am I missing?

I'm always onboard for some fresh blood in the Arkham Files. There's a conversation over on the AH:LCG forum discussing desired additions to the investigator roster.

Edited by Duciris
grammar
On 8/17/2018 at 4:48 PM, KBlumhardt said:

It's almost certainly 2 of the 3 of Daniela, Calvin, and Sefina. So, at least one of them is going to piss off the "ewwww... gay stuff!" crowd.

I missed the gay part... who's the one supposedly gay?

6 hours ago, Julia said:

I missed the gay part... who's the one supposedly gay?

Daniela likes "fast cars and fast women" and Calvin's lost lover was a man. So, I'm (somewhat intentionally incorrectly as I'm certainly not in the aforementioned 'ewww... gay stuff!' crowd) using "gay" as shorthand for LGBTQ+, since we don't have full information on either's orientation exactly.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Daniela and the new, now-official version of Calvin were introduced in EH from people who apparently think everyone was straight back in the 1920s. One person was even upset that FFG was introducing "explicit sexual content" in EH because Daniela's investigator card had the line about liking fast cars and fast women... ?

Edited by KBlumhardt

Yeah, I wasn't nitpicking on the alphabet :D But I totally missed that part about their personal stories. Interesting the part about Daniela - more stereotyped than a les being a mechanic I can hardly imagine. Not so sure I understand the fuss about 1920's realism: I don't remember gates opening in the '20s, but possibly it was because I wasn't even into this world. Dunno.

I'm also fascinated by people being offended by LGBTQ+ characters in games, but having no issues in playing a game designed by a transgender designer (it's clearly stated on Nikki's twitter, and it's clearly shown by her MBs on BGG, so, no mystery here), as if in saying there's no evil if it's functional to their needs, but beware to imply that some characters might not be straight! (also, in my mind, Akachi and Patrice have been lovers since the dawn of time, regardless of what stated on their PS, so, the same rule can be applied the other way around: don't like a character to like fast cars and fast women, then have her like whiskey and fast men).

Anyway, sorry for sidetracking the trail.

Are we not allowed to list the Investigators we have seen thus far? By looking around, I see ten of the twelve investigators (Unique to the article bolded):

Product Page - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-third-edition/

• From the various pictures, Norman from the picture of the board

Daniela Reyes
Calvin Wright
Wendy Adams
Jenny Barnes
Tommy Muldoon
Norman Withers
Agnes Baker

IGN Article - http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/03/arkham-horrors-3rd-edition-gives-the-game-a-dramatic-and-awesome-overhaul-gen-con-2018

• Michael featured in the pictures, Minh and Dexter from the board picture with the investigator standees lined up.

Agnes Baker
Calvin Wright
Michael McGlen
Minh Thi Phan
Dexter Drake

Jenny Barnes

Also I have a vague recollection of a long form gencon stream that had a game of Arkham 3rd edition played through the first bit, and I remember Jenny Barnes and Michael McGlen in the game, plus I vaguely remember Ashcan Pete. I can't find it though, so I'm not comfortable counting him as investigator #11 unless I can actually find something to confirm my memory.

Pete & Jenny are about as "main" as any of their characters. They mix-n-match who ends up in core sets a bit to shake things up, but they are almost always in the core or first expansion. They were both in the core sets for AH2, ES & MoM1. They were in the first expansion for the LCG, but then were in the 7th and 5th expansion for EH, respectively. No one else has a track record that close to the front of the line and anybody that could have hasn't appeared in the LCG yet.

Sister Mary, Michael McGlen, Joe Diamond, Kate Winthrop, Havey Walters, Gloria Goldberg were all in the core sets for AH2, Mom1, & ES, but have yet to appear in the LCG & all of them were in EH expansion 4 or later.

The other 8 characters from the AH2 core were also in the ES core (it went 16 for 16) and they made it into the only 2 expansions for MoM1. 1 of them has ended up in the LCG (Carolyn Fern) but only as a novella character. They too, were held back until the 4th or latter expansions for EH.

---

Norman is on the board (not sure how I missed that). Just watched the trailer again: Michael McGlen, Dexter Drake, Norman Withers, Marie Lambeau , Rex Morgan are all in play - on the board or character sheets.

Edit:

And yes, that is Minh on the board on from IGN, so "Ashcan" did not make the cut. The final 12 are:

• Agnes Baker
  • Calvin Wright
  • Daniela Reyes
  • Dexter Drake
  • Jenny Barnes
  • Marie Lambeau
  • Michael McGlen
  • Minh Thi Phan
  • Norman Withers
  • Rex Murphy
  • Tommy Muldoon
  • Wendy Adams
Edited by Duciris
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, KBlumhardt said:

Daniela likes "fast cars and fast women" and Calvin's lost lover was a man. So, I'm (somewhat intentionally incorrectly as I'm certainly not in the aforementioned 'ewww... gay stuff!' crowd) using "gay" as shorthand for LGBTQ+, since we don't have full information on either's orientation exactly.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Daniela and the new, now-official version of Calvin were introduced in EH from people who apparently think everyone was straight back in the 1920s. One person was even upset that FFG was introducing "explicit sexual content" in EH because Daniela's investigator card had the line about liking fast cars and fast women... ?

I'm sure Daniella's story will be released in the deluxe edition rule book. I have not seen her Eldritch Horror profile, so I really don't know. As far as Calvin's concerned, I'm wondering if his story is included in the Investigators of Arkham Horror book, because there isn't any reference to Calvin's lover being a man. Again, just basing his background solely off of the LCG bio. I can't find any evidence online that even suggest that Joao is a guy

Well, João is a male name. If they named him John, would you argue that it could be a woman?

Edited by Eldan985

I did not know that

Portuguese version of John, apparently. So, Brazilian, maybe? That would fit Calvin's look, if not necessarily his name.

Arkham Nights 2018 swag:

arkham-nights_2018_prizes.png

"Ashcan" Pete for Arkham Horror 3.0 & Daniela for Elder Sign (she's the only investigator not in the game).

We need Richard Riddick as an investigator.

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

Arkham Nights 2018 swag:

arkham-nights_2018_prizes.png

"Ashcan" Pete for Arkham Horror 3.0 & Daniela for Elder Sign (she's the only investigator not in the game).

ASHCAN! I'm taking this as vindication... not a mistake on my part about him being in the game.

So the Askan Pete is only available in Arkham Night pack. Sniiff...

3 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

So the Askan Pete is only available in Arkham Night pack. Sniiff...

For now. He'll be released in a future product.

The Labyrinths of Lunacy (the AH:LCG mission from Arkham Nights 2017) was released June 7th this year. He'll release, it'll just be a question of when. If anything, it confirms an intent to release expansions ('cause we were all concerned about that).

16 hours ago, Joelist said:

We need Richard Riddick as an investigator.

What's Richard Riddick?

5 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Riddick is a badass criminal from Pitch Black movie... But yeah suitable person as an investigator ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riddick_(character)

Of course he is! Granted he would be a bit out of place but he would be an interesting character. Without his goggles he would be handicapped in daytime and he is always best at night, can't be equipped with firearms but with a blade would have an off the charts combat ability.